SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anonymous Google "Anti-Diversity Screed" goes viral inside Google. UPDATE: He's outta there! So much for diversity.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anonymous Google "Anti-Diversity Screed" goes viral inside Google. UPDATE: He's outta there! So much for diversity. Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What irritates me is that the "diversity departments" of companies and institutions feel the need, and "moral obligation" to "educate us" on how accepting we need to be of things that are considered immoral by virtually every religion, culture, and ethical system in human history.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by showpro:
It's a rambling collection of random pseudo-facts, a few actual facts, and opinions.

His main point seems to be that he doesn't feel comfortable voicing his conservative opinions inside Google. I can understand that. But he sure opened up the floodgates with that one.

And he didn't have to make his point by attacking female engineers. The female engineers I've worked with have ranged from very capable to unbelievably amazing. Some of the most famous programmers in history were women. He's making a silly argument, there.

The bro-grammer culture in SV needs to go. It doesn't add anything. And I've seen it chase out women who were way better at their jobs than the men who harangued them into leaving.

When a business goes PC it creates it's own problems. This article was showing how deceitful Google is being with itself and it's employees. The practice of hiring 1 under-qualified woman in place of a very qualified, results driven male is nothing more than a social experiment. Whenever you are discounting the most qualified person and selecting whatever flavor of the month is needed to make the diversity numbers, you are hurting yourself. It shows how narrow minded these companies are. They'd rather be seen as "diverse", "inclusive", "touchy/feely" hug it out social experiment as opposed to a results driven, goal oriented, powerhouse that could be so much more if they really did get the best minds and put them together.

How would your view change if this guy had been talking about our US Army infantry? Or the NASA space programs? To get the best results, you need the best people working for you, not someone that was put in the position just because they have an innie vs an outie!

Coming soon to showpro's workplace...Men that have had gender reassignment surgery and skin pigmentation therapy, just so they could get a job. Don't believe me? Keep passing over more qualified people in order to keep the "diversity" ratio just right!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I stumbled across the advertising for a large law firm on the west coast that emphasizes their diversity to the exclusion of every other consideration. No points for effectiveness, understanding, diligence, advice, results, just diversity.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
I have lived in Silicon Valley for 34 years, have worked for public firms, private firms, non-profit firms. Half of my neighbors work for Google, Apple, a few name brand high-tech firms, some start-ups. I know very well the local culture.

I currently teach business at two colleges here. Social Justice/Diversity/Equality is the creed. All people need equal "outputs", such as graduation rates, job opportunities/assingments, salaries, etc, even if there are very unequal "inputs", such as skills, knowledge, effort, etc. Otherwise there is injustice.

Also, from college staff training last year, a "minority" doesn't need to prove mistreatment, all such claims are deemed to be valid. (And in a fairly direct statement, on the whole, white males are selfish, discriminatory, oppressive).

In one final college interview some years ago there was the VP Instruction, the Dean, the head of the department, myself, AND the District Diversity Officer. The only pertinent question was "what do you to promote diversity in the classroom"? A staffer told me, off the record, they had to reopen the application window because they didn't have enough of the "right kind" of applicants (ie, minorities).

And once a very liberal prof/dept head pulled me aside. She found some dishonest things happening at the district, was going to file a formal protest, was told to back off, the person behind the dirt was a double minority, the protest would only backfire.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
She found some dishonest things happening at the district, was going to file a formal protest, was told to back off, the person behind the dirt was a double minority, the protest would only backfire.

That just breeds contempt.
If you have the right skin color or gender you are "protected". If you are a white, male you are "suspect".

Tip for silly-con valley employees that want to get fired: Criticize your liberal bosses publicly. Hope it starts trending.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24044 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
They've turned my employer into a diversity center and productivity and profitability have crashed. The only white males that are promoted now are veterans, everyone else is female, person of color, LBGTETC or a combination of those. Most managers hired or promoted the in the last 3 years couldn't take a shit correctly with a coach and instructional videos. Roll Eyes

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
<snip>The stereotypes are valid, you idiots.<snip>

Yep. Viva la Difference!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8919 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
They've turned my employer into a diversity center and productivity and profitability have crashed. The only white males that are promoted now are veterans, everyone else is female, person of color, LBGTETC or a combination of those. Most managers hired or promoted the in the last 3 years couldn't take a shit correctly with a coach and instructional videos. Roll Eyes

Fortunately good mr Leemur, I wasn't drinking a Mt Dew when I read this, otherwise I would have another screen/kybd cleaning.

Sadly, what you say would be funny if it wasn't so true in too many business'.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
I remember when Time ran a cover with the shocking discovery that scientists had confirmed that men and women were different, and it wasn't just upbringing, it was **gasp** they were born different!! Yes, it required **New Studies** to confirm that men and women were born different.

This is heresy to the progressives. They would never run that cover today, the progressives who still read Time would put them out of business for stating the obvious.
Shocking! Anybody who has raised both boys and girls can tell you without a doubt that they are different from birth. My girls liked pink and princesses and flowers from the start. My boy liked cars and Legos and building blocks from the start. No training required.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5281 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
http://www.dailywire.com/news/...amanda-prestigiacomo

Playing Into Every Female Stereotype, Women At Google Stay Home After Memo For Emotional Reasons

Uh, this kind of proves the memo's point, no?

Some "upset" women in the echoing halls of Google decided to stay home from work after their feelings were hurt by a ten-page memorandum written by an anonymous employee who — trigger warning — acknowledged the general differences between men and women.

NPR reported that former Google employee Kelly Ellis said "some women who still work at the company stayed home on Monday because the memo made them 'uncomfortable going back to work.'"

James Damore, who penned the politically incorrect memo, was canned by the corporation intolerant of viewpoint diversity on Monday for allegedly "perpetuating gender stereotypes."

Ironically, the women too "upset" to go into work over a science and evidence-backed note are indeed playing into the worst gender stereotypes of all — the overly-emotional and irrational woman — and inadvertently proving what they are so fiercely attempting to deny: men and women are different.

(By the way, where's the lynch mob for the NPR social media director spewing such hate speech?)

Although the memo is being maligned in the leftist media as "anti-woman," that's a deliberate distortion of the letter's contents. Damore was simply addressing the social science that shows men and women, generally speaking, have different strengths and weaknesses. The former employee was trying to address the wrongheaded diversity policies at Google, explaining that some of the discrepancies in male-to-female ratios within the company were unlikely due to discrimination, but, instead, from nature.

As you might suspect, this was construed as not just WrongThink, or ambiguous "hate speech," but heresy from within Google's Church of Diversity; Damore was thusly excommunicated.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The guy lost his job. Just what in the fuck do these silly women think will happen now? A Google Assault Team will be dispatched to murder him and his family?

Really, just fuck you. Roll Eyes

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107459 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by showpro:
It's a rambling collection of random pseudo-facts, a few actual facts, and opinions.

And he didn't have to make his point by attacking female engineers.

Can you list the facts you consider to be 'pseudo facts'?

Can you copy and paste where he 'attacks female engineers'?

I've read it now and don't see either of these points you are making.

- John Adams

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
"I Have A Right To Express My Concerns": Fired Google Engineer Will Pursue Legal Action

The computer engineer fired by Google for writing a memo in which he slammed the company's anti-conservative culture and said women are less suited to certain roles in tech and leadership, is considering taking legal action against the company.

As a reminder, now former Google employee James Damore, caused outrage when he circulated a manifesto on Friday, complaining about Google’s “ideological echo chamber” alleging women have lower tolerance for stress and that conservatives are more conscientious. The chess master, who studied at Harvard, Princeton and MIT and worked at Google's Mountain View HQ, was fired on Monday after the search giant’s chief executive, Sundar Pichai, said portions of Damore’s 10-page memo “violate our code of conduct and cross the line by advancing harmful gender stereotypes” despite saying in the same memo that Google employees shouldn't be afraid of speaking their minds.

One day after Google announced the engineer was fired, Damore said he would “likely be pursuing legal action”.

“I have a right to express my concerns about the terms and conditions of my working environment and to bring up potentially illegal behavior, which is what my document does,” he said in an email reported by the New York Times.

In a further email to Breitbart, he reportedly said: “They just fired me for ‘perpetuating gender stereotypes’.”

While liberals were delighted by the decision, others accused Google of hypocrisy as the company is itself currently involved in litigation with the U.S. Department of Labor alleging the company systemically discriminates against women. Google has denied the charges, arguing that it doesn’t have a gender gap in pay, but has declined to share full salary information with the government. According to the company’s most recent demographic report, 69 percent of its workforce and 80 percent of its technical staff are male.

Among other things, Damore argued that “Google’s left bias has created a politically correct mono-culture that maintains its hold by shaming dissenters into silence”. He said: “The distribution of preferences and abilities of men and women differ in part due to biological causes, and that these differences may explain why we don’t see equal representation of women in tech and leadership.”

In his memo, subtitled “How bias clouds our thinking about diversity and inclusion”, he said he wanted to increase women’s representation in tech without resorting to discrimination.

He complained that “discriminating just to increase the representation of women in tech is as misguided and biased as mandating increases for women’s representation in the homeless, work-related and violent deaths, prisons and school dropouts”. His suggestions included the company making tech and leadership less stressful because “women are on average more prone to anxiety”. His dismissal followed "outrage" in Silicon Valley because Damore sought to explain the gender imbalance in the tech industry as a function of biological difference.

The senior software engineer had worked at Google since 2013 and had previously studied computational biology at Princeton, Harvard and the University of Illinois where he graduated with a bachelor’s degree in 2010 in the top 3% of his class, according to his CV posted online and noted by the Guardian.

On Tuesday, Julian Assange, the founder of Wikileaks, said that he would like to hire Damore, declaring “censorship is for losers”.

Writing on Twitter he said: “WikiLeaks is offering a job to fired Google engineer James Damore. Women and men deserve respect. That includes not firing them for politely expressing ideas but rather arguing back.” He added: “I value intellectual diversity and workers rights to not be fired for politely expressing the ‘wrong’ opinion.”

Damore's termination also sparked a conservative backlash, with Breitbart and other websites rushing to Damore’s defence. Breitbart quoted an anonymous employee who claimed that “the diversity gospel has been woven into nearly everything the company does, to the point where senior leaders focus on diversity first and technology second.

“For conservative employees, this is obviously demoralising, but it is also dangerous. Several have been driven out of the company or fired outright for sharing a dissenting view.”

Eric Weinstein, managing director of Peter Thiel’s venture capital firm, wrote an open missive to Google asking it to “stop teaching my girl that her path to financial freedom lies not in coding but in complaining to HR”.

More to the matter at hand, legal observers have questioned whether Google has broken employment law by firing Damore.

Dan Eaton, an employment lawyer, in San Diego wrote on CNBC: “Federal labour law bars even non-union employers like Google from punishing an employee for communicating with fellow employees about improving working conditions … California law prohibits employers from threatening to fire employees to get them to adopt or refrain from adopting a particular political course of action.”

He also said” “It is unlawful for an employer to discipline an employee for challenging conduct that the employee reasonably believed to be discriminatory, even when a court later determines the conduct was not actually prohibited by the discrimination laws.”

A spokesman for Google in London declined to comment to the press on the legality of the decision.

Our guess: the most likely outcome will be a multi-million dollar settlement, and in a few months the name James Damore will be forgotten.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/...nsiders-legal-action

Also, complete memo available at link here:
Google’s Ideological Echo Chamber
https://assets.documentcloud.o...cal-Echo-Chamber.pdf

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24044 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
If he thought his rant would have any other outcome, he isn't as smart as he thinks.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31419 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
He's smarter than all of us put together.

He spent 30 minutes writing something on Friday and now (after a nice settlement with Google) should be set for life financially.

Not a bad exit at all...

Posts: 2323 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Draal
posted Hide Post

Posts: 164 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: July 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
From our favorite news ketteh...

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/eRGZrFseZfk

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Google'd it! Big Grin

Men Women Differences

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
They guy did us a favor, because now a bright light has been thrown on these leftist apparatchik .

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107459 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post