SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anonymous Google "Anti-Diversity Screed" goes viral inside Google. UPDATE: He's outta there! So much for diversity.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anonymous Google "Anti-Diversity Screed" goes viral inside Google. UPDATE: He's outta there! So much for diversity. Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted
A long anonymous opinion piece that has circulated widely within Google. Alleges among other things that men and women are physically and psychologically different.
Naturally met with charges of racism/sexism.

Gizmodo: 10-page "Anti-Diversity Screed" in Google goes viral

Original paper with graphs, refs

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sjtill,

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did not read the article but, I agree that men and women are different. I have worked since I was 8 years old, with both sexes....they are different. I have gone to school with both....they are different.
I have taught adult education after retiring..we had both men and women in my classes....they are different. This is just in my humble opinion.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Did you read the response from the Diversity VP? He's going to get eaten alive.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When the nerdy-dorky engineers who's MO is left-brained runs into the socially mobile and overly engaged right-brained marketing types.

I have a friend who's a career engineer in Silicone Valley the last 20-years, he's worked at a number of these big companies and concluded it's best to go back to the days of small private companies with 20-50 pocket-protector wearing nerds, solely focused on whatever project they've gotten into. Had no issues with the handful of Asperger, East Indian, Asian, overweight, occasionally ripe co-workers but, when things got huge and HR & marketing departments became a necessity, is when software/hardware companies became social experiments and lost their mission.

Posts: 14574 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a friend who's a career engineer in Silicone Valley the last 20-years, he's worked at a number of these big companies and concluded it's best to go back to the days of small private companies with 20-50 pocket-protector wearing nerds, solely focused on whatever project they've gotten into. Had no issues with the handful of Asperger, East Indian, Asian, overweight, occasionally ripe co-workers but, when things got huge and HR & marketing departments became a necessity, is when software/hardware companies became social experiments and lost their mission.

Google and the rest have made far too much money for their own good, or certainly the good of society.

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cursed be he who moves my bones!
Picture of showpro
posted Hide Post
It's a rambling collection of random pseudo-facts, a few actual facts, and opinions.

His main point seems to be that he doesn't feel comfortable voicing his conservative opinions inside Google. I can understand that. But he sure opened up the floodgates with that one.

And he didn't have to make his point by attacking female engineers. The female engineers I've worked with have ranged from very capable to unbelievably amazing. Some of the most famous programmers in history were women. He's making a silly argument, there.

The bro-grammer culture in SV needs to go. It doesn't add anything. And I've seen it chase out women who were way better at their jobs than the men who harangued them into leaving.

Posts: 8394 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cursed be he who moves my bones!
Picture of showpro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
when things got huge and HR & marketing departments became a necessity, is when software/hardware companies became social experiments and lost their mission.

How is hiring qualified women and giving them an environment where they're treated respectfully a "social experiment"?

Posts: 8394 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by showpro:
quote:
when things got huge and HR & marketing departments became a necessity, is when software/hardware companies became social experiments and lost their mission.

How is hiring qualified women and giving them an environment where they're treated respectfully a "social experiment"?

If that was all that was happening there would be no issue. Some tech companies insist on interviewing and/or hiring people just because of their race or gender. The company I left 2 years ago started this....or at least started giving it lip service. It's not good for business.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
The "tolerant" left strikes again...
Fired!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23948 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enjoy Computer Living
Picture of LoungeChair
posted Hide Post
quote:
When the nerdy-dorky engineers who's MO is left-brained runs into the socially mobile and overly engaged right-brained marketing types.

Bingo! The diversity thing has gotten totally out of hand around the valley. No one around here can even define the meaning of "diversity", but they all know we need more of it.
I've decided that when people say "diversity" they mean "more people like me".

-Loungechair

Posts: 674 | Registered: October 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
I predict more lawsuits against Google due to the disclosure of blacklists.

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/...jw-cabal-blacklists/

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2017/...memo-commentary.html

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Aaaaand he's gone!

quote:
SAN FRANCISCO — Google on Monday fired a software engineer who wrote an internal memo that questioned the company’s diversity efforts and argued that the low number of women in technical positions was a result of biological differences instead of discrimination.

The memo, called “Google’s Ideological Echo Chamber,” angered many in Silicon Valley because it relied on certain gender stereotypes — like the notion that women are less interested in high-stress jobs because they are more anxious — to rationalize the gender gap in the tech industry. The memo quickly spread outside the company, as other Google employees railed against many of its assumptions.

In a companywide email, Google’s chief executive, Sundar Pichai, said portions of the memo had violated the company’s code of conduct and crossed the line “by advancing harmful gender stereotypes in our workplace.”

The memo put the company in a bind. On one hand, Google has long promoted a culture of openness, with employees allowed to question senior executives and even mock its strategy in internal forums. However, Google, like many other technology firms, is dealing with criticism that it has not done enough to hire and promote women and minorities.

One female Google engineer posted on Twitter upon reading the memo that she would consider leaving the company unless the human resources department took action.

Link

Hope he sues them for billions and gets millions donated for his defense.

posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by showpro:
It's a rambling collection of random pseudo-facts, a few actual facts, and opinions.

His main point seems to be that he doesn't feel comfortable voicing his conservative opinions inside Google. I can understand that. But he sure opened up the floodgates with that one.

And he didn't have to make his point by attacking female engineers. The female engineers I've worked with have ranged from very capable to unbelievably amazing. Some of the most famous programmers in history were women. He's making a silly argument, there.

The bro-grammer culture in SV needs to go. It doesn't add anything. And I've seen it chase out women who were way better at their jobs than the men who harangued

I agree^^, read the entire manifesto, as our President says , your fired!

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by showpro:

The bro-grammer culture in SV needs to go. It doesn't add anything. And I've seen it chase out women who were way better at their jobs than the men who harangued them into leaving.

I read it and I didn't see any attack on women. I agree with a lot of what he said and while I get what you are saying I also understand one of his main points that basically more men are drawn to the tech world naturally so we should kind of expect to see more men in tech roles.

I work for a tech company and my home office is just outside SV. We have a few women in tech roles, either as programmers or in hardware development and they are all fine at what they do. We have had bad ones and good ones just like we have had bad and good men in those roles. However the balance is around 99%-1% male to female. It is not because we want only men but because when we hire we pretty much only get male applicants.

By contrast our marketing department is about 50/50 and is run by a woman. Our HR department in the US is 100% female and I'd guess about 90/10 female to male across the world, and is run by a female. Logistics department is staffed by mostly men but run by a woman and the same goes for our project management team. Sales is close to a 50/50 split with a woman in charge of one of the major markets.

We hire women but we can't hire women into jobs they don't apply for or are not qualified for. Google wants to it seems, otherwise they wouldn't need a diversity department. If there were enough qualified women who wanted the jobs then it would likely naturally sort itself out.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stu1000rr
posted Hide Post
I guess I am confused.

We are constantly being told that there is no difference between men and women. If for the sake of argument we concede that point......then why the need for a diversity department?

If we are the same and there is no difference then by extention there soul don't be any diversity whether you hire a male or a female...... Roll Eyes

Posts: 265 | Location: Southwest Georgia | Registered: February 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Then why the need for clothes? I thought the 'manifesto' was plainfully accurate.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry that the guy lost his job. At least his memo pointed out and named this insane behavior and caused Goggle's execs to have to open their lying mouths to spew more lies.
The guy did us a favor, whether or not he intended to do so.

"Gender stereotypes"? How did these people manage to get so stupid? The stereotypes are valid, you idiots. If that offends you- GOOD!

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
I remember when Time ran a cover with the shocking discovery that scientists had confirmed that men and women were different, and it wasn't just upbringing, it was **gasp** they were born different!! Yes, it required **New Studies** to confirm that men and women were born different.

This is heresy to the progressives. They would never run that cover today, the progressives who still read Time would put them out of business for stating the obvious.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nurturing those natural skills and aptitudes would yield great things instead of homogenizing every one to the lowest common denominator.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
"Vice President of Diversity"? My God, these people are such phonies and such idiots.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post