SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question about upgrading my computer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about upgrading my computer Login/Join 
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted
Hey guys,
I do not know why I am struggling with this one.

I have a Nvidia GTX 760 graphics card, and I am thinking of upgrading it.

But I do not want to buy too much card and start a resonate cascade and have to upgrade the whole system. so here is my computer:
  • Nvidia GTX 760
  • Intel i7 860 @2.8ghz
  • 16GB RAM
  • PSU Corsair 750 Watts
  • MB is a EVGA P55 LE

Can I upgrade to a 10xx GTX card? or a 9xx GTX? or "nope, not enough CPU etc."

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3576 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
What is your reason to upgrade?

You could yes, but your system is old and the benefit might not make the most of it.

comparison here > https://www.videocardbenchmark...=2561&cmp%5B%5D=3502

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
I have an aging i7 (4790K) with your card. It handles all of my needs and more. Why do you want to upgrade? What specs have drawn you away from the 760? What features are you looking for? What is your price range? What mobo are you running (what slots do you have available)? And yes, what monitors are you driving.

It may be you should start thinking about a new system, if'n you want better specs. Just a suggestion.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We just upgraded from a Nvidia GTX 760 to a GTX 1080 a few months ago. It benefited gaming as expected and the upgrade process was very easy.
Next upgrade will be motherboard with faster memory, or it may be better to build a new gaming system entirely.

Posts: 2358 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
What is your reason to upgrade?
^^^This. Without knowing this answer, reasonable recommendations are impossible.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I would like to play some of the games at full resolution. Most I have to step back the graphics to get smooth performance. I have looked at a decent gaming laptop, but I like my PC, but do not really want to rebuild with a new system.

However, it does play the games I want and at a decent resolution so it is not a 'needed' upgrade. (thus not really willing to drop 2k in a new system.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3576 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Knuckledragger
Picture of IndyRob
posted Hide Post
What games are you wanting to play?

If you really want to upgrade your GPU without spending bank I'd look for a 1050 Ti.

I wouldn't put anything better in that system.

Posts: 7358 | Location: Greater Indianapolis Area | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your other components are fine and if you purchase a Nvidia 1050 Ti, which is a bang for the buck and will wake up your gaming performance. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3057 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Your RAM and power supply are pretty decent but the rest is so old, it'd be better to spend $5- or 600 to get an entirely new computer.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I would say you could always get the new card, use it for the betterment of your games and if/when you upgrade the other hardware you could move it to that machine.
The only problem is who knows what will be available then, technology moves fast and it could be obsolete in two years.
One of my old W7 machines is the same as yours except it has an even older GT 275 card but I don't play games except for one Golf game.
Doesn't matter anyway as only my wife uses that computer and it's fine.
So you could upgrade and move it to new hardware when you do.
YMMV

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
If it were me I would save up 2500 dollars and go all new top to bottom.

Keep the current pc for streaming to tv/networking/storage and have a decent rig to game on.

But I'm a pc gamer so I'm biased.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4787 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Just a quick update on what I wound up doing.

I was researching out the various MB, CPU, and GPU combinations and had assembled a pretty good system in Newegg. Then I went by my local BB and stumbled upon a pretty good deal on a Gaming Laptop. I have never considered a laptop but there it is, and it followed me home.

ASUS website for the laptop

Newegg

What I do not really understand is why BB sold it so cheap ($700), the geeksquad guy said it was a 'large surface' scratch. but that was only on the protective film on the laptop lid. And we both agreed it was a hella good price. Anyway, I was under budget and I am a happy camper.

So much so, I do not plan on purchasing Fallout on the Xbox but moving back to the PC for the new games. Thanks for all the help guys, I went with your advise and just did a whole new system. If it melts and dies I will let you guys know, till then I will keep gamin. Maybe we can hook up for a round of World of Tanks.

I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
I have a Dell Precision T3500, and I couldn't get a 1050 to work. The system wouldn't even boot.

I found a 960 SC, which has almost the same speed, and got it to work by putting it in the second X16 slot.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6021 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post