SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    It's leaf-raking day
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's leaf-raking day Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
I cheated. I hate to rake, so I used the mower to push the leaves into a pile as best I could.

The neighbor across the street runs a landscaping company, so he's got some help this morning. Rakes, blowers, tarps, dump truck... the works.

I finished my front yard and headed in for chili and college football. As I looked out the back window I saw that neighbor swinging an electric blower around, pushing leaves toward the street. I looked again to see him blowing some of his leaves into his next-door neighbor's yard (instead of toward the street).

I'm not sure if he was pranking his neighbor, or being lazy. But from here, watching it was kind of funny. Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13497 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I got one of the leaf bags several years ago and use it on two different lawn mowers. Save the leaves for mulch and the garden. Makes fast work of normally two day job.

http://lawntractorleafbag.com/...hout-grass-catchers/

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I've got another month or 2 until leaf raking season gets here.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3851 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Ain't that what kids are for? Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I gave up raking. I use a blower and the ride on mower to suck the leaves up. The leaves are late falling this year, but after it went down to 21 last night it might speed up. My neighbor across the street decided not to do his leaves, so no matter what they will blow all over my yard and even more to the neighbors east of him.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
The heck with raking, I just ran the mower over everything in mulching mode, worked fine. Did the neighbor's yard too so he can't complain about my tree.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ubique
Picture of TSE
posted Hide Post
My leaves are under about 6" of snow.

Calgary Shooting Centre

Posts: 1494 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I had 6 huge leaf dropping trees. Last years ice storm took them all out. Real big cleanup for that. But NO MORE leaves!!!!! Big Grin

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I grew up in a house with a 0.4 acre lawn that had 26 trees (25 oak and 1 hickory) when we moved in. By the time Dad sold it 21 years later it was down to 8 trees (7 oak and 1 hickory).

I hate leaves especially oak leaves. IME, there are 3 types of oak trees and we had all 3:
  • oaks that drop their leaves in fall
  • oaks that drop their leaves during the winter
  • oaks that drop their leaves in the spring when the new leaves push off the old ones. These are evil as you're stuck raking once in the spring too.

When we first moved there the mf'ers put 3" to 6" of leaves on the yard a week in the fall. Couldn't just rake the leaves either, had to rake the acorns too.

I don't miss that lawn at all.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Ammoholic
    Picture of Skins2881
    posted Hide Post
    ^^^
    I have ones that drop leaves mid Oct to New Years. I do one last raking New Years Day.

Just spent four hours doing round three of leaf clearing.

Fuck Oak Trees, they don't even make pretty fall leaves.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Waiting for Hachiko
    Picture of Sunset_Va
    posted Hide Post
    I had rather mow grass 3 times a week than go through leaf torture.

This year seems to be heading worst than last year.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Too old to run,
    too mean to quit!
    posted Hide Post
    We have 4.33 acres. All in deciduous trees. Some oak, some poplar, some hickory. All big old growth stuff.

Spent 2+ hours out blowing leaves today, the second time, and will have to do it again at least once.

At least I don't have to haul them away or mulch them. Just blow them way the hell back into the trees, away from the lawn and let them rot.

Probably spend about 2 more hours tomorrow, weather permitting, and blow the rest. Hopefully for the last time, but not planning on that as there are still a lot of leaves on the trees.

I have a commercial grade back-pack blower that moves a lot of them, and relatively quickly.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
    -Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of henryaz
    posted Hide Post

What are these leaves you speak of? Smile

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of C-Dubs
    posted Hide Post
    My maple is a bit confused apparently.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Just Hanging Around
    posted Hide Post
    Leaf raking day?

We have leaf raking month. This year I got a Cyclone Rake. It’s making life a little easier.

Posts: 3236 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Spread the Disease
    Picture of flesheatingvirus
    posted Hide Post
    One of the nice things about living in the high desert...Smile

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    No leaves here!!!! Cool
    Now if you want to talk about pine needles, ponderosa pine prevalent!
    Big annoyance in gutters, sticking in windshield wipers.
    Local VFD chief, says they should be declared a nuisance weed, due to wildfire hazard contribution!
    Previous place we lived, oak trees and ash trees! Everything said about oaks absolutely accurate!

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of vthoky
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
    I had rather mow grass 3 times a week than go through leaf torture.

That's why we push leaves around with the mower! Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13497 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post