SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I am public enemy #1 in my neighborhood (shooting related)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
I am public enemy #1 in my neighborhood (shooting related) Login/Join 
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Of course I wasn't there during the dog incident, but a dog off leash running towards me and my dog on a walk, I pick up my Jack Russell into my arms and brace for a confrontation, especially if a large dog. Sounds like you did what you had to do.

As far as your neighbors, fuck them. Telling you to stay off "their street" is a major act of self-centered bullying. People chasing folks out of restaurants, fuck em. People trying to chase folks off of public streets, double fuck em.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Report This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
While I was always armed when I walked my dogs > I also carried a log stick (actually a long fiberglass golf shaft) when we walked.
I was always able to fend off curious dogs.
I never let them get close.
If they did my dog could take care of her self (Boxer).
I would NEVER want to hurt another dog unless absolutely the last resort and would try to avoid a conflict at all costs.
It would be a shame not to consider prevention methods like a stick or whatever first.
YMMV

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Report This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
My wife's grandmother's property abuts BLM land in Oregon. Her road is just off a freeway exit. It is a routine dumping spot for dogs.

In the mid-nineties they started forming packs. 1's and 2's for a year or so. She dealt with them with a sharps 4 shot pepperbox 22long. She ended up shooting 3 in one instance, having to put down the last one with the 4th shot. She went and bought herself a 6 shot 357. A year later the pack was 6 dogs. She went and got her self a mid-sized Glock. Every year it's about 10 or so feral dogs over a season.

Here in VA, i have run afoul of dog hunters (dog hunting is legal for deer here)on numerous occasions. From running their dogs on my property knowingly to shooting across two pieces of property (a horse pasture with horses, the other being mine), it is 4 or 5 times a year that I have to get serious and get DGIF out here. I have had them chase my dog (35lb ESS) clean off our property. I have had them come through and kill 20 chickens and guineas. Every spring the dogs that don't hunt are magically escaping from their pens and end up in large wooded tracts like my property. fucking hillarious how that happens. 2 years ago i had one that had elimated my neighbors 30 bird coup in one 20 min time period. It had been preying on mine prior to that, about 20 birds. I finally had it trapped in my grow out pen. It was so emaciated that all it did was kill. i found 20 dead chicks, and was missing an additional 10. When i put it down, it was still chewing and chomping at the birds.

I now have 0, absolutely 0 tollerance for stray dogs, or dogs that attack. Dogs that are just lost are completely different story. I will do my best to get them home. Chase my live stock, dog, or confront my family. The fucker dies, active hunting dog or not.

grandparents ran a Dairy Farm in Halifax Va when I was a kid,

each farmer in the area knew what each had as far as dogs,

while you could hunt with dogs, the deer were so few then no one bothered,

so, a few stray dogs go across the farm fields, the standing order was shoot to kill,

dogs kill chickens, turkeys, pigs, calves etc, and those animals cost too much to loose

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Report This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff:
You protected yourself & your dog. The LEO said it was a good shoot. I concur.

I agree. Way too easy to second guess. We weren't there. As far as the neighbors, I would rather have my dog with me every night than worry about what they thought of me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5906 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I dont really think that there is enough information to determine if it was "a good shoot". A couple of people have asked the question, but i didnt see an answer so i'll ask again. What was the owners response when you alerted her and how much time did you give her to respond before shooting? I've had countless encounters back when I had a dog where a dog from a yard or at a park came running over during a walk but I was always able to diffuse the situation without blasting. I am not saying you were in the wrong but I think more details are needed for some of us to be convinced it was a justified shooting. I had a neighbor whose dog got loose on her in the winter when the dog pulled her off the porch on the ice breaking her arm. She would have been pretty devasted if someone would have shot the dog.

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
I dont really think that there is enough information to determine if it was "a good shoot".
1. OP doesn't owe you any further explanation so you can play internet judge
2. The sheriff's dept was actually on the scene and ruled it was a good shoot

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Report This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Do a web search on dog attacks (for about anywhere) it shows they go off way too much.

A friend of our kids was attacked by dogs when over another friends house. Playing in their yard and their dogs got out and attacked him. Put him in the hospital, luckily he survived. Owners were sued and ended up paying $250K for medical and injury - and the dogs were ordered to be put down.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3785 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
I dont really think that there is enough information to determine if it was "a good shoot".

Didn't say he owed me anything, just said there wasn't enough info for me and some others to make the determination.

I get it, if I don't agree with you I cant post a dissenting viewpoint. Roll Eyes

Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I wasn’t there either, so no comment on the main event.

I’ve dealt with ornery dogs a few times, barking, growling, & snarling. I did ‘stand my ground’ while holding a splitting maul on a pitbull. Then there was the two where I fired a warning shot in the dirt by them, they left.

My preferred non-lethal tool is a stout rod. I have no problems if shooting is called for, some dogs may well need it.

We own a German Shepherd, she’s actually a bit friendly but does bark. I only let her free in a safe area. She was penned when the furnace guy came a month ago, let it be known they weren’t regulars.

I was on the trail a while back, dog leashed. This lady stops her bike before meeting to fiddle with something. I could see she was getting her pepper spray ready. As she got closer she said she was afraid even though the dog was leashed. I just said that’s fine, do what you have to do, though no danger.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Report This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxxpower:
quote:
quote:

Didn't say he owed me anything, just said there wasn't enough info for me and some others to make the determination.

'The determination' was made by the local sheriff deputies, who stated "it was a good defense".

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Report This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
quote:

There isn't enough information to make anyone think it was a bad shoot either.
SO why can't you accept his story at face value?

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xl_target:
quote:

There isn't enough information to make anyone think it was a bad shoot either.
SO why can't you accept his story at face value?

If you read my original post you will see that I did not say he was in the wrong, just that a few more details would help clarify the situation.

I merely stated that in my experience encountering dogs, I never had a situation where I felt shooting the dog was necessary, therefore I am curious about the details that led up to it (e.g. how much time the dog owner had to respond).

If a person posts something like this on the internet they obviously want to talk about it so I don't think it's unreasonable to have a few questions regarding the details.

Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:

If a person posts something like this on the internet they obviously want to talk about it so I don't think it's unreasonable to have a few questions regarding the details.

OP posted this for discussion. This isn't an echo chamber, so it's reasonable to see how others may want clarifying info before drawing conclusions.

That's how 'discussions' usually work. I saw no disrespect or impropriety in asking for clarification.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Report This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
If the OP doesn’t want to talk about it maybe don’t post about it

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Report This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I get it, if I don't agree with you I cant post a dissenting viewpoint. Roll Eyes
I have no problems with a dissenting view but I have problems with:
  • a smart ass rolled eyes response from someone who makes 6 posts per year
  • twice in your original post used verbiage that you want to decide if it’s a good shoot. You’re not a known member of the Sigforum community or a well known justified shooting expert we’d turn to (e.g. Massad Ayoob who posts here every year or two).
  • 6 hours after making the bitchy post I quoted, you’ve already crawfished in your response to xl_target. This combined with 6 posts per year sure has the red flags of a troll account.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Report This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:

I have no problems with a dissenting view but I have problems with:
  • a smart ass rolled eyes response from someone who makes 6 posts per year
  • twice in your original post used verbiage that you want to decide if it’s a good shoot. You’re not a known member of the Sigforum community or a well known justified shooting expert we’d turn to (e.g. Massad Ayoob who posts here every year or two).
  • 6 hours after making the bitchy post I quoted, you’ve already crawfished in your response to xl_target. This combined with 6 posts per year sure has the red flags of a troll account.

• You or any of the moderators are free to read all of my posts over the years, never started any trouble.

Just more of a reader than a poster, heck my wife has been reading this forum as long as I have and she doesn't even have an account.

I think it's evident by your posts on this thread that you are the one exhibiting troll like behavior by personally attacking me twice. now

The Velvet Voicebox
    posted Hide Post
    The sheriff deputies said it was a good defense. You defended yourself & Jake. You were exonerated for pulling your firearm and using it by sheriff deputies. That is a good shoot.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7652 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Report This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    Maxxpower,

You caught me! You caught the Tater! You can take down those roadblocks now! I confess to making 1270 posts a year for nearly 13 years, met Sigforumites for dinner, hung out for 3 days with Sigforumites at a Bruce Gray class, spent tens of thousands of dollars on Sigforum recommendations, never been on moderated status (or even warned) in hopes I could troll your inevitable entitled smart ass post.

In all seriousness, put yourself in the OP’s shoes. Somebody who makes six posts a year demands a better explanation and the best the OP can hope for is some unknown smart ass wannabe self-appointmented internet judge will agree with him. At worst, the neighbor sues since they likely have a very large vet bill and anything the OP posts is subject to discovery. If you were an infrequent poster with expertise such as Mass Ayoob it might be worth it to the OP to get his opinion on whether or not it was a justifiable shooting. If you were a known frequent poster such as the Sigforumite who works at the USPS and walks a 10+ mile route 200+ days a year while being prohibited from carrying a firearm it might be worth it to the OP to post more in hopes of learning effective non-lethal strategies for dealing with dogs. What’s the upside in the OP responding to you?

SF Jake
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Maxxpower,

You caught me! You caught the Tater! You can take down those roadblocks now! I confess to making 1270 posts a year for nearly 13 years, met Sigforumites for dinner, hung out for 3 days with Sigforumites at a Bruce Gray class, spent tens of thousands of dollars on Sigforum recommendations, never been on moderated status (or even warned) in hopes I could troll your inevitable entitled smart ass post.

Busted! Big Grin

Posts: 3112 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Report This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Maxxpower,

In all seriousness, put yourself in the OP’s shoes. Somebody who makes six posts a year demands a better explanation and the best the OP can hope for is some unknown smart ass wannabe self-appointmented internet judge will agree with him. At worst, the neighbor sues since they likely have a very large vet bill and anything the OP posts is subject to discovery. If you were an infrequent poster with expertise such as Mass Ayoob it might be worth it to the OP to get his opinion on whether or not it was a justifiable shooting. If you were a known frequent poster such as the Sigforumite who works at the USPS and walks a 10+ mile route 200+ days a year while being prohibited from carrying a firearm it might be worth it to the OP to post more in hopes of learning effective non-lethal strategies for dealing with dogs. What’s the upside in the OP responding to you?

So the new rules for being able to post on a thread according to you are:

- Minimum post count of 10,000
    - Complete agreement with original poster and you on any & all topics

Do you have any idea how arrogant you sound?

And the ironic part is that you have this quote written in your signature line:

"Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity"

I enjoy this forum and have never had any problems with anyone so I will bow out of this thread in the interest of civility. Smile

P.S. In all seriousness I have always liked your steaming cup of coffee avatar Razz