SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I am public enemy #1 in my neighborhood (shooting related)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
I am public enemy #1 in my neighborhood (shooting related) Login/Join 
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t tolerate an animal threatening me or mine. Good shoot, their fault not yours.

Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Wear some Purdue gear on tomorrow 's walk. Wink

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6851 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Report This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
Sounds like a good shoot to me. Don't worry about your idiot neighbors.
I would still worry about the idiot neighbors--there are non-confrontational ways of damaging property that might be employed.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Report This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
According to the CDC, in the USA, dogs kill more humans each year than Bears / Sharks / Alligators / Cougars combined.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10916 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Report This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
Wear some Purdue gear on tomorrow 's walk. Wink

As someone who can’t stand OSU..... yes

His other flag on the pole today was an OSU flag.

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7903 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel you were justified. I think it's your answers that are pissing the people off. Respond with "the other dog was not on a leash and was attacking my dog and I was protecting my dogs life".

SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I feel you were justified. I think it's your answers that are pissing the people off. Respond with "the other dog was not on a leash and was attacking my dog and I was protecting my dogs life".

Eh. I’m the 1st person to say yes I’m an asshole because I will tell you exactly what I think of the situation, incident and or you.

Don’t approach me and tell me to stay off the street because of someone else issue. I speak fluent fuck you...

Now if he asked what exactly happened I would have told him. Simple and easy.

I’m aware that yes my answer could make you made. But I’m all out of fucks to give about your feelings.

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7903 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
So, two weeks after the incident, the owner harasses you while driving her car (sitting in the driver's seat, I presume)?

I'll suggest that you call the police and file charges against her. She's dangerous, and won't stop until forced to.

A good friend lost about $45,000 stolen by an office manager working for him, but decided not to press charges and ruin her reputation, despite being urged to by the cops and state's attorney. He settled for an agreement that nobody would ever talk about the incident. Within a few weeks, the manager's teenage daughter was telling her high school that my friend fired her mother unfairly, and it got ugly. Uglier than it would have if he had filed charges.

Just sayin'

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9153 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Report This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ThankGod4Sig:
quote:

Eh. I’m the 1st person to say yes I’m an asshole because I will tell you exactly what I think of the situation, incident and or you.

Don’t approach me and tell me to stay off the street because of someone else issue. I speak fluent fuck you...

I’m aware that yes my answer could make you made. But I’m all out of fucks to give about your feelings.

Eh. Said neighbor heard a very convincing side of the story from the other party, and your response most likely reinforced it.

The situation sucks, and I’m sure it was a good shoot. However, there’s a secondary part of a good shoot, which is controlling the message (otherwise, as you have seen, your life afterwards may be affected).

Good luck.

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Just down the road from you in Dayton, dogs have killed or injured several people. No one was armed and they paid the price. Lots of dogs being shot by the cops too.
It aint the dog, its the owner.
It was a bad situation but the best possible outcome.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16083 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Report This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
It aint the dog, its the owner.

That is pretty much always the case.

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Report This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I've never met a 50lb dog I couldn't easily subdue just by laying on it or something.

Are you old(er), small(er), weak, crippled, or anything of the sort?

These aren't judgements, merely questions. Not everyone is the same, obviously.

But a lab mix? I dunno, man.. Were you genuinely afraid for you and your dog?

Ever seen dogs scuffle before? Even little ones are tougher than one might think.

Picture of bayouman
posted Hide Post
You did the right thing in defending yourself. A couple of years ago I was out at night walking my female Doberman as I did every evening. She was not aggressive and followed commands well. We were approached by a Pit Bull who lived down the street and he began growling and circling us. I gave my dog the sign and command for Down, which she did. At that point the Pit came after me and I put him down with .38 to the head. Called the LEO's, they cleared it as self defense and notified the owner. Nothing happened after the fact.

Bayouman
Never let the enemy pick the battle site.

Posts: 727 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana  | Registered: June 28, 2001Report This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I love dogs. But you have to protect you and yours. Situation sucks. Idiot owners should be made to pay a price for every bad outcome. Let them learn a lesson. Or at least pay an idiot tax.

File charges or at least a report. Get it on record. It may be good to have a record and perhaps a pattern of behavior for the future.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12717 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Report This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
1. Shaql FTW
2. 45, are we to understand that you say that you've killed 5 dogs in your neighborhood?
3. I wouldn't forget about the neighbors. Maliciousness against you can take a number of forms. They're also spreading word around the area that there are firearm(s) in your home not far from not the best part of town.
4. I would chat with the Deputy who wrote this up initially given that the other owner, while behind the wheel of a machine that could kill you or do serious harm engaged in a confrontation with you. He can advise on whether you should file a report. He might also go on his own and pay her a visit and encourage her to live and let live...

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ThankGod4Sig:
quote:

Yeah well, when your neighbors start screwing with your stuff because of your attitude, or you need a favor and can't get one, then you might think twice. It's always best to defuse a situation, than it is to throw gas onto a fire, ESPECIALLY with neighbors.

I have a neighbor directly across the street from me that isn't friendly. I can't stand the guy actually. He pulls 10' into my driveway every single day to then back into his which isn't even necessary if he just turned the steering wheel more. Never returns a wave or returns a Hi back when he's walking past my house on the sidewalk. After IRMA last year, when I was done cutting fallen trees with my gas pole saw, I saw him and his wife cutting fallen branches with a hand saw and struggling with it, I saw my friendly neighbor doing the same right next door to him, I walked right past his house and cut up all of my neighbors big branches in 10 minutes and walked right back to my house past him again and smiled and waved and kept on walking.

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
jimmy, I think under those circumstances I would have offered to assist my across-the-street neighbor, too. Might be surprised at the results.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Report This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
I've never met a 50lb dog I couldn't easily subdue just by laying on it or something.

Are you old(er), small(er), weak, crippled, or anything of the sort

I’m going with fuck you and your smarmy self-righteous attitude and ignorant reply.

Maybe I misunderstood your words.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12411 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
jimmy, I think under those circumstances I would have offered to assist my across-the-street neighbor, too. Might be surprised at the results.

flashguy

Well, that's why I smiled and waved. If he waved back or even nodded I would've walked over to him and offered. BUT, he pretended he didn't even see me (like he always does when he walks down the sidewalk 25' from the front of my house.....), and was 30' from the sidewalk and looking in my general direction. I still had it running because I wasn't done with my stuff,and had a ton of stuff of my own to get done, so I didn't try to talk to him.

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
As Judge Judy would say to the lady.

"You didn't control your dog!"

And as Judge Judy would say to Mr. Flagfolder.

"It's none of your business!"

I'm a fan of the Judge.

And Georgeair...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Report This Post