SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I am public enemy #1 in my neighborhood (shooting related)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
I am public enemy #1 in my neighborhood (shooting related) Login/Join 
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted
So I am public enemy #1 in my residential area. Because I was charged by another dog and defended myself and my dog just over a month ago while on my normal walk. A boxer/lab mix who either the owner let go of the leash or the dog pulled away from the owner. Dog weighs roughly 50 pounds and was snapping and growling while circling myself and my dog. I yelled several times while the owner just stood there. So I chose to defend my dog & myself. Even our local sheriff deputies said it was a good defense. The dog in question lived but I'm pretty sure it lost a leg.

Fast forward 2 week after the incident, the "owner" pulled up to myself and dog while on my usual daily walks. She yelled that I shouldn't be walking my dog on her street because I shot her dog. I expressed to her that its a free country, and I wad not doing anything wrong, and I will keep walking where I need/want to walk my dog.

Fast forward to today:
So the house across from where I shot the dog the guy was out folding an American flag and he asked me why I had to walk down his street after shooting the dog I said that’s ironic since you’re holding an American flag and this is a free country I can walk down the street if I want.

I will defend us Jake.

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7903 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Report This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
Using deadly force on any living creature is one of the most serious, consequential decisions you can make. Hopefully you're decision was correct.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Report This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
It sounds like the lady who failed to control her dog was responsible for the injury her dog received in that incident. I hate it when people don’t take responsibility for their pets. Unfortunately there are several people of that ilk in my neighborhood.

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Report This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Well I'd shoot a charging dog too, but it may have to do with the number of times a dog has sent me to the hospital though and the number of stitches I have received due to dog bits.

Either way fuck 'em, if the dog was under control you would not have to decide if he wanted to lick you or was going to kill your dog or maim you.

I haven't owned a dog since I watched my child hood dog get killed in front of me. If I had a gun at the time I would have been able to save it's life.

I've also told my neighbor that if their pit bull runs up to me in my yard again I will shoot it if I feel threatened. They no longer walk the dog on my street. I am not missing time from work or spending money on any more hospital bills. They are animals and will be dealt with as such. It's the owners responsibility to keep his dog under control at all times, and it is the owners responsibility for any harm that comes to the dog should they fail in their duties.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Report This Post
posted Hide Post
What part of Columbus are you in? I am in Canal Winchester and had not heard of this. However, I do not read the local rags or watch local news, so that may explain it.

As with most cities, a good chunk of our population are not responsible pet owners. I had a bull mastiff attack one of my dogs while my dog was on leash. My dog lived, but only because he scrambled uner a parked car when I dropped the leash while punching the mastiff (concealed carry was not legal at that time). Would've ended differently if concealed carry was legal I can assure you. Now the wife and I both carry when we walk our dogs.

Good on you for protecting yourself and your dog. Good on Franklin County Sherrif's Deputies for seeing it for what it was, self-defense.

The "Boz"

Posts: 1531 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Report This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good shoot to me. Don't worry about your idiot neighbors.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Report This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I can relate to your story, when you walk your poodles on leases and in my hood the brows let their pits roam,no tags or collars.
They chewed up a 90 something senior years back,she passed from it.
Myself and dogs will not go that way.
Well bottom line I have over the last several years taken out five.
It turns into a circus with these folks.

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Report This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
It would really haunt me to have to shoot a dog, any dog.

While I'm not in your shoes, I hope that it was the right decision at the time.

Have had to deal with a situation that had similarities many year ago but there was an aggressive dog, its bullying owner my next door neighbor both standing in my way between my front door and my then baby boy chasing my dog. They cut my path and started threatening me. Only time I ever considered taking a step back and using my gun.

Dog was going to be my second target.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12106 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Report This Post
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bozman:
What part of Columbus are you in? I am in Canal Winchester and had not heard of this. However, I do not read the local rags or watch local news, so that may explain it.

Far Westside. Next to Doctor's West Hospital.

I've worked for years will all the deputies who responded to the incident. They know me, I know them. K9-8 was 1st on the scene, he helped with the wounded dog since he is a K9 officer. On the 911 call You can hear me instructing the "owner" how to deal with a Tourniquet.

Posts: 7903 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I've seen the results of a serious dog attack on a young child. A girl now with life long facial scars.

Far too many dog owners do not realize they have to control their dog.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 2 facilities on the West side (manufacturing & R&D). I know the area well and Doctor's West is the hospital we take our associates to if they have an emergent workplace injury (I am an Environmental, Health & Safety Compliance guy for my company). That is one of the rougher parts of town outside of the outer belt. I can only imaging the breed of dog that dominates over there.

I also know many county and city first responders because of my work.

Good on you for trying to save the dog after plugging him.

Since we are so close, maybe we can hit the range sometime. I am a member at Vance's in Obetz. Will shoot you an e-mail sometime.

Again, good job on protecting yourself and your dog. You never know what the other dog's intentions are, especially if they are showing teeth and snarling vs whimpering and wagging their tail.

The "Boz"

Posts: 1531 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Report This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Start wearing a GoPro around in case those dickheads start making false claims against you. If they're that stupid, I wouldn't put petty revenge against them.

Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bozman:
I have 2 facilities on the West side (manufacturing & R&D). I know the area well and Doctor's West is the hospital we take our associates to if they have an emergent workplace injury (I am an Environmental, Health & Safety Compliance guy for my company). That is one of the rougher parts of town outside of the outer belt. I can only imaging the breed of dog that dominates over there.

I also know many county and city first responders because of my work.

Good on you for trying to save the dog after plugging him.

Since we are so close, maybe we can hit the range sometime. I am a member at Vance's in Obetz. Will shoot you an e-mail sometime.

Again, good job on protecting yourself and your dog. You never know what the other dog's intentions are, especially if they are showing teeth and snarling vs whimpering and wagging their tail.

I'm a member out at EGA defense its an outdoor range so, ehhhhhh weather is changing so indoors is looking better. My email is correct in my profile, its always on.

My area isn't to bad, Lincoln Village North. There are a few pit bulls. I know where most live on my walks so I keep an eye out. But there are good dogs also. Mine is loud and obnoxious I admit that. But he hates squirrels.

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Good for you.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Good for you.

This. You defended you and yours. It’s STILL a free country. When we allow ourselves to be bullied for doing the right thing, even when it scares those who disagree, it becomes less so.

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Never heard of EGA. I was a member for a long time at Big Darby before it got shut down.

I may have to look at EGA as I like shooting outdoors and I like supporting veteran-owned businesses.

Will remain a member at Vance's just because I know and used to train with many of the people who now work there. And because Ohio weather.

I'll holler at you sometime...

The "Boz"

Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
I live in an area that prohibits CCW by citizens (SF Bay Area), so I sometimes carry a short staff - walking stick I made from hickory.

On two occasions where I didn't have it I had to take down an out of control unleashed dog. Both times they were 80# +.

In both cases it was over for the dog before it began and I had them pinned by the neck on the ground.

In one of the cases, my wife was swinging at the dog with something and after the incident and a harsh word with the idiot owner, I noticed dog crap all over my pants. My wife was swinging the poo bag at the dog. All she hit was me, so thankfully she didn't have a hammer in her hand. Smile

Glad I didn't have to kill them, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Too many snowflakes can't control their animals.

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I’m sorry you had to go through this. People who do not take responsibility for their pets (or children) infuriate me. I hope that things settle down for you soon!

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Report This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
was the owner cited for not maintaining control of her dog?

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Report This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
was the owner cited for not maintaining control of her dog?

I sure as hell hope so. He caused the injuries to his dog and the put OP in a shitty position where he felt it was necessary to pull and discharge a gun in public.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Report This Post