SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Proof Is In The Pudding: Parliament Bans “The Spotted Dick” From The Strangers’ Dining Room
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Proof Is In The Pudding: Parliament Bans “The Spotted Dick” From The Strangers’ Dining Room Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
Jonathan Turley

In an act of utter Parliamentary pusillanimity, members have declared that the traditional pudding served in the Stranger’s Dining Room would be stripped of its name, “The Spotted Dick.” For generations, ordering the Spotted Dick has been the subject of good-natured chuckles and teasing. However, the current members appear constantly on the lookout for any term or practice that can sanitized as socially or culturally offensive. So, the pudding will now be called “Spotted Richard” – a change that is entirely divorced from any connection to the original meaning of the dish. The proof is in the pudding, but Parliament does not give a wit for the historical meaning of eating a dick.

“Dick” was simply an old English term for pudding. Thus, the change to Richard is based on the false pretense that Dick as nickname for Richard.

That simply does not matter to language police. We have seen the same sanitation of terms at colleges and universities. As we previously discussed, various schools like Harvard have dropped the term “master” even though it has absolutely no connection to slavery. The term “master” was originally derived from words like “schoolmaster” and “headmaster” and have long been a tradition at such esteemed institutions as Oxford and Cambridge. Nevertheless, students and faculty have objected to possible connotations of racism and slavery.

I fail to understand why there is a refusal to simply educate people on the meaning or origins of such terms. In this case, the confusion by some can be met by the welcomed news that the term is a reference to pudding.

The Telegraph and other newspapers however report that members were discomforted by the menu item. MP Andrea Jenkyns is quoted as saying that she had “to bite on my lip to stop myself from laughing” when ordered the dish. How terribly inconvenient. So to avoid the lip biting, the Parliament changed history and ignored historical meaning – a curious move for a nation that attracts tourists with the appeal of historical sites and relics.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Fish assholes are probably out also.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Re: “That simply does not matter to language police.”

Same with the word “niggardly”. Which means “not generous; stingy.” A D. C. councilman was forced to resign after using the word in that sense.

I always thought “Moby Dick” sounded like some venereal disease.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8951 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, many years ago, when watching a baseball game on TV, I heard the name “Rusty Staub”. At first I thought they were talking about an ailment of some kind.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I'll admit I read this as The Strangler's Dining Room,

and at first wondered when the band got a dining room,,,,,,,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
What of Lumpy Dick? Lumpy Richard?

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
What's next? Cockles?

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
"Cockles and mussels,
Are atavistic remnants of an exploitative patriarchal society,
Alive, alive-o"

That oughtta put somebody's kids to sleep at bedtime.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
So was he puffing on a fag when he ordered the spotted dick?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ozarkwoods:
So was he puffing on a fag when he ordered the spotted dick?

Now that, right there, is funny!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxdog:
Yes, many years ago, when watching a baseball game on TV, I heard the name “Rusty Staub”. At first I thought they were talking about an ailment of some kind.

Watching tennis as a kid, I heard "Vitas Gerulaitis" mentioned and thought it was kind of a "tennis elbow" type of ailment.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Re: “That simply does not matter to language police.”

Same with the word “niggardly”. Which means “not generous; stingy.” A D. C. councilman was forced to resign after using the word in that sense.

I always thought “Moby Dick” sounded like some venereal disease.

I wrote a short story for the local village magazine, and in it I wrote that the 'hero' had 'sniggered'.

The story was returned to me for a re-write, as the editor found the word offensive. I sent it back, replacing the word with 'snegroed'.

It was never printed.

tac

Posts: 11322 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
It would appear that Richard Cranium thinking was involved in this decision.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Seems only halal foods are acceptable in London now.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post