SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How much water does a typical person use each day?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How much water does a typical person use each day? Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
This kind of lunacy is a GREAT thing for Commiefornia.

Let them wallow in the bed they have made.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great business opportunity for Still Suit manufacturers Big Grin

Reclaim your sweat & urine - - the ultimate in personal conservation....the water must flow Wink

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
The state of Whackyland declared the drought to be over last year, 2017. LINK

Of course I agree there is not enough water, usually, in the Southwest, but there is more to the issue.

My point is that the GDCs in charge in Whackyland are FUBAR and SNAFU. They are quite a bit responsible for quite a bit of the water shortage. For example, refusing to allow more reservoirs to be built and store water from year to year to ease the occasional droughts.

And I also believe that allowing at least 12 Million illegal aliens into their so called sanctuary state and sanctuary cities is also part of the problem. Those people consume resources, including water, and 12 million people consume a LOT of water. BTW Whackyland has the most people on welfare, food stamps and other free stuff.

There are other examples of why the GDCs have caused a big part of the crisis, I'm just not going to waste my time debating it in this thread. I'm done here.

I'm just completely disgusted that a once fine State, full of opportunity, great promise, beautiful, etc, has been taken over by the GDCS who ruined the state, brainwashed a little over half the people, and continue to spiral down, and have done this over the last close to 50 years, export this crap to other states, and, well, I'm just sick of this.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
There's a good NatGeo documentary:

Water and Power: A California Heist

A quote from "Cadillac Desert" by Marc Reisner, written in 1986:

"Water runs uphill to power and money".

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
There's a lot most people can do to reduce water usage: Turn off the taps while soaping-up at the sink or in the shower and while (wet) shaving. Use dual-flush toilets. Run laundry and dish washer only on efficiently-sized loads. Drip irrigation instead of sprinklers.

I want to replace the old lots-of-gallons-per-flush toilet with a dual-flush, because using even five gallons to flush a few dozen ounces of urine is just stupid, but I haven't found one I like and I feel won't give me more trouble than it's worth.

put a couple of bricks in the tank and it will use less water, (bricks take up the space)'

or lower the float so it shuts off the water before it fills up

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
put a couple of bricks in the tank and it will use less water, (bricks take up the space)'

or lower the float so it shuts off the water before it fills up

1. A couple of bricks won't lower the tank volume much. 2. Lowering the tank volume on an older toilet may produce problems with flushing... uhm... "heavier loads." 3. And even lower-volume tanks still use way more water than necessary to flush urine--which is essentially water. (I believe dual-flush toilets use only 1½ ga. for urine flushes.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^

Piss in the sink. Rinse it down with a couple cups of water. Smile

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by k5blazer:
Charge a steep progressive usage rate. The market will enforce rationing. Water has been cheap to California for far too long. Same with Phoenix and Tucson.

Southern California gets much of it's water from Arizona.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by cheni:
quote:
Originally posted by 610:
What about the dairies? It takes 1,000+ gallons per day per cow for them to operate.
Where the fuck did you come up with that number?
That would be 16 semi loads of water for 100 cows. LOL
Some times, the erroneous stuff in a thread is the best part.

Them bovines sure can swan dive and backstroke, though. Big Grin

nah, they are just lactating 25,000 pound cows.

Duh. Or Muh.

quote:

As a rule of thumb, consumption will range from 1 gallon per 100 pounds of body weight during cold weather to nearly 2 gallons per 100 pounds of body during the hottest weather.
Lactating cows require nearly twice as much water compared to dry cows.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
90% of the water usage is from farms (think avacados and almonds, so, luxury foods) but they want all the cuts to come from residential usage.
I remember driving through California, watching farmers watering their fields IN THE RAIN because they have to use their whole water allotment this year or they get less, next year.

It's all a shell game.

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

It is a little more nuanced than that. You’ll find avocados grown mostly along the coast: San Diego area (where they use water from the Metropolitan Water District and recently started having to pay a rate much like the residential rate, which has driven many of them out of business), Ventura County where it is pretty much either individual wells or the Farmer’s Ditch Water Company, a company started and funded by farmers many years ago which owns wells and distribution lines and operates as a mutual water company, providing water to its shareholders. I’m not sure about Santa Barbara County, but I’d guess it is similar to either Ventura County or San Luis Obispo County which to the best of my knowledge is all wells except the one grower who spent $100,000.00 in 1963 to get a surface water right and irrigates from both that via his reservoir and wells. I suspect (but don’t know for sure) that the guys in Monterey County are all on their own wells. Next time I see Link, I’ll ask him.

Now almonds, pistachios, and other various and sundry crops are grown in the Central Valley, and many growers there receive water from the Central Valley Project, a huge Federal project. There may be some getting water from the State Water Project as well, but I’m not sure about that. “The King of California: J.G. Boswell and the Making of a Secret American Empire” goes into some of the funny business you may be alluding to.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:
Why are they running out of water?

Because when the stupid voters passed an 8 BILLION dollar water bond in the middle of the credit market lockup around 2008, 9 or 10, the GDC politicians used that money to buy watershed and watershed protection, not to provide for one drop of water storage.

You can't store what does not exist. Their existing reservoirs are running on empty and they've more than tapped-out their share of the aquifers and rivers.

Their existing reservoirs are running on empty because they insist on sending the vast majority of any surface water straight to the ocean without impounding any of it.

quote:
quote:
Typically if you are in a city, you have to be on municipal water and don't own the water rights under your lot (or if you do, you can't get a permit to drill a well there).

Doesn't matter. The reasoning for these rules aside: The aquifers out there are running dry.

Again, you are drastically oversimplifying. There are some basins that are in overdraft. There are also many more which are not.

quote:
You can hate on the "God Damn Commies" all you like, but this has nothing to do with their policies. The southwest is running out of water, plain and simple. The problem is trying to maintain a non-desert ecosystem in a fracking desert.

This really isn't rocket surgery. None of it.

It has everything to do with their policies. Impounding a tiny portion of the runoff that ends up in the sea would make a huge difference, but no, they have to have a high speed train to nowhere.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Part of what our state calls "Water Conservation Plan

Gallons per day per household.

Although this is from a few years ago, this is the water numbers for house connections to our system. There were 31,206 connections with and average of 2.68 persons per household.(State census numbers)
Average month 100.54
Low month 67.02 = winter
highest month = summer months 164.94
This was from the last year I had files for (2012). Each year is slightly different due to wet or dry summers were irrigation is used by some residents. This is just an average, usage can vary by household.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Doesn't matter. The reasoning for these rules aside: The aquifers out there are running dry.

Again, you are drastically oversimplifying. There are some basins that are in overdraft. There are also many more which are not.

Cite? Because everything I've read indicates all of the major aquifers in the west are running dry.

Even the Ogallala aquifer, under the Great Plains, is becoming depleted.

quote:
quote:
You can hate on the "God Damn Commies" all you like, but this has nothing to do with their policies. The southwest is running out of water, plain and simple. The problem is trying to maintain a non-desert ecosystem in a fracking desert.

This really isn't rocket surgery. None of it.

It has everything to do with their policies. Impounding a tiny portion of the runoff that ends up in the sea would make a huge difference, but no, they have to have a high speed train to nowhere.

Ecosystems can be fragile things. Take that freshwater that runs into the sea. Turns out certain sea life depends upon that happening. Turns out when they intercepted much of the water that used to run naturally into the sea, the sea life along the coast began to suffer. So, yes, now they've taken steps to restore some of that balance.

Before you or somebody else goes "Oh, sea life. Like that's more important than people," stop to consider for a moment the food chain.

As for the high speed train: Don't know about the politics. Absolutely do not care. I do know this: Somehow, in other parts of the world, they manage to build quite capable mass transit systems. I took the train from Amsterdam, Netherlands, to Frankfurt, Germany, when I was there some forty years ago. It was fast, clean and convenient. A very enjoyable ride. Much more enjoyable than having driven it or flown.

Here we are, allegedly the most prosperous country in the world, and we can't build a fracking passenger rail system that works. That's just sad. And embarrassing. (Their roads aren't riddled with potholes, either.)

But all of that is beside the point: The water's running out. Something's got to give.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The water is not running out. We have the same amount of water as we have always had, it just may not be 8n the form or the location that is convenient. Too many chuckleheads in places where there is too little easy to get fresh water makes for problems. If you live in an area of scarcity, expect the things you need or want will cost more. Pony up, do without, or move. Or complain on the internet.

Posts: 1788 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
But all of that is beside the point: The water's running out. Something's got to give.

The crazy thing is, the water isn’t running out as much as it’s being overtaxed. Millions upon millions of people stretching the resource. But there is another source of infinite water right off the coast. The untold capital (I’m sure Californians will never be privy to the true amount) being wasted on the Train to Nowhere could have been used for desalinization plants.

Desalinization isn’t cheap, but imagine if the burden of all of Wackylands major coastal cities could be even alleviated with supplemental water. The biggest downside would be having to listen to smug libtard assholes saying how progressive and far-seeing they are.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
It makes no sense to me, but from out here it looks like Sacramento is trying to reduce population by dispersing its population to other states (by dropping one iron albatross after another around the necks of its middle class). Now, I’ll grant that I haven’t figured out why the state government would want to force a large portion of their middle class out, but how else do you explain the daily onslaught of ridiculous news stories from that state? Gavin Newsome is poised to become the the next governor, and he may well be more radical Left than Jerry Brown.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post