SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How much water does a typical person use each day?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How much water does a typical person use each day? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
This seems real. Among all the various questions that come up, one wonders on what basis was 55g/day determined? But sure, let's build a fast train to service a limited number of people versus building critical infrastructure like reservoirs in a state subject to droughts with ever increasing populations.

So, this sets a deadline for me -- I need to move to another state by 2022.

http://www.oann.com/calif-wate...dry-on-the-same-day/

Calif. Water Ration Laws Could Prevent Residents From Showering, Doing Laundry On The Same Day
UPDATED 10:08 AM PT — Tues. June 5, 2018
Two newly signed laws could soon prevent California residents from showering and doing laundry on the same day as the state seeks to find a solution to the ongoing drought.

The new water rations — approved by Governor Jerry Brown — will limit Californians to using 55 gallons of water each day by the year 2022.

The problem is — a single load of laundry uses about 40 gallons of water, while an eight-minute shower uses some 17 gallons and a bathtub holds up to 100 gallons.

That means combining any of the daily chores for most families will result in going over the limit by at least two gallons.

The law states the 55 gallon limit per person will drop to 52.5 gallons by 2025 and fifty by 2030.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Get rid of all the illegals, send them back, have more water.

And tell that to all the beautiful luscious green golf courses, especially in the Palm Springs area.

You can bet your average California "rank"& file (pun intended) person will have to comply, but the political elite, Hollywood, government leaders, etc will be exempt and/or never ever investigated for water abuse.

Ironically, for me, it's a valid question because I'll be retiring in a few years and I will get some sort of RV and snowbird. I'll out of necessity have to learn to use less water, but that's my choice and not a gubberment infernal mandate. RV's only carry so much fresh water and the holding tanks realllllly should not overflow.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Oil & Gas construction camps typically use 75 to 80 gallons of water per day per person. On water rations, they can cut back to 40.

For example, when they had a Phase 3 storm (aka level 3 of 3 for arctic storms) in Alaska's arctic circle they'll cut back to 40 gallons of water per day (e.g. no showers, no laundry). However, it's getting pretty ripe on day 3.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

The problem is — a single load of laundry uses about 40 gallons of water, while an eight-minute shower uses some 17 gallons and a bathtub holds up to 100 gallons.

That means combining any of the daily chores for most families will result in going over the limit by at least two gallons.

Also, don't wash the dishes, your hands, or flush the toilet.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Shoot, my two teenagers probably burn more than that showering each day, nevermind laundry, dishwashing, landscape irrigation, drinking water, etc. Good thing we are on well water coming out of the irrigation tank for the orchard with no metering for the house. The GDCs can kiss my rump.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
ISTR 60 ga./person per day when we were configuring our water softener.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
...and don't forget about the lobos

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I was just listening to a news person state the fine for using more than the daily allotment is anywhere from a $1,000 to a $10,0000 PER DAY fine. I'm not sure if that's a fine for a household, or for whatever entity distributes the water.

Sorry, I can't name the program, I was just getting home when I heard this on 1520 AM. Then I got out of the car.

I'll try to find a source to confirm. Google search is unclear to me, maybe a whackyland resident can clarify.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
There's a lot most people can do to reduce water usage: Turn off the taps while soaping-up at the sink or in the shower and while (wet) shaving. Use dual-flush toilets. Run laundry and dish washer only on efficiently-sized loads. Drip irrigation instead of sprinklers.

I want to replace the old lots-of-gallons-per-flush toilet with a dual-flush, because using even five gallons to flush a few dozen ounces of urine is just stupid, but I haven't found one I like and I feel won't give me more trouble than it's worth.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I just really can't see how those GDC can do this. I mean in a practical manner.

You're a Whackyland resident. People, family, friends, come to visit for a few days or a week. They must have daily water. How is this calculated for the extra? How do you get fined?

You're a good Whackyland resident and you love organic free range vegan sustainably harvested no chemicals whatever, so you put in a small backyard garden to grow your kale and tomatos, etc. How do you get to water it without getting fined?

Let me guess, there will be a whole new HUGE government bureaucracy to go out in their little electric cars to snoop on and audit every single damn house in Whackyland. Hey that's one way to lower unemployment.

What if you live where you have your own well?

The more I think about this the more it infuriates me.

The term FUBAR just took new meaning. So does SNAFU to describe Whackyland government.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
What if you live where you have your own well?

At least around here: Municipalities often won't allow you to have a well if you're on a municipal water supply. Variety of reasons.

Out west I understand not just anybody can drive a well. You have to have water rights.

You do understand this has nothing at all to do with GDCs, but the fact that they're running out of water there, right?

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
You do understand this has nothing at all to do with GDCs, but the fact that they're running out of water there, right?

Why are they running out of water?

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am single and male. Here is my water usage:
1 ten minute shower per day.
4 toilet flushes per day. Maybe. Never counted.
3 minutes to brush teeth.
Water for cooking. But not every day. Hand wash.
Load of laundry once a week.
So... I guess on laundry day I need to go to the gas station to crap. If I lived in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
If my front load washer used 40 gallons of water, there's a chance it might actually get my clothes clean. Which it doesn't.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

Why are they running out of water?

Because when the stupid voters passed an 8 BILLION dollar water bond in the middle of the credit market lockup around 2008, 9 or 10, the GDC politicians used that money to buy watershed and watershed protection, not to provide for one drop of water storage. Now, as alluded to above, instead of providing much needed water storage solutions, they are pissing away BILLIONS and BILLIONS on a high speed train that nobody I know of wants or will use.

Typically if you are in a city, you have to be on municipal water and don't own the water rights under your lot (or if you do, you can't get a permit to drill a well there). Out in the counties, the water rights are usually with the land, but they can be sold off separately.

It has everything to do with the GDCs, as if those morons weren't running things we'd have more reservoirs and less high speed train boondoggles.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
So... I guess on laundry day I need to go to the gas station to crap. If I lived in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia.

If you lived in San Francisco, you could just go to the BART station to crap. Anywhere, doesn't matter, curb, floor, planters, escalators. Doesn't matter.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
90% of the water usage is from farms (think avacados and almonds, so, luxury foods) but they want all the cuts to come from residential usage.
I remember driving through California, watching farmers watering their fields IN THE RAIN because they have to use their whole water allotment this year or they get less, next year.

It's all a shell game.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I am the treasurer of our community water system, ~330 homes. Irrigation is NOT allowed. Inside domestic water only. We manually report our water usage each month, and I track mine in a spreadsheet. My family of 4 (kids are 6 & 7) uses 3,000 - 3,500 gallon of water per month. My kids do not take showers or baths every day, so that number will go up as they get older. The "average" for all homes in our system is ~5,000 - 5,500 gallons per month.

Moonbeam's suggestion of 55 gallon per day times 30 days is 1,650 gallons per month. That's not realistic. Maybe 55 gallons, on average, per person per day is realistic.

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Cali’s problem isnt the droughts that are common to that state, its piss poor planning by their government going back decades.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
So, what really happens when they exceed the limit? A fine would be my guess.

And just like before, the super-rich will say “haha, fuck it, I’ll pay the fine to have a full pool, green grass, etc; I can afford it”.

The average citizen will say “this is ridiculous; I’ll pay the fine because I believe in my wonderful state”.

And the illegals will say “Que?”, and pay not a single dime in fines.

Fuck California. I feel sorry for any forum members that are truly trapped there, but anyone that is staying for the climate, the night life, or some other aesthetic reason deserves no sympathy.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post