SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Simple trick to make the best chili you ever have made.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Simple trick to make the best chili you ever have made. Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted
Works great with tacos too!

Here it is, not a recipe, just a way to cook the hamburger. A lot of people somehow screw up browning meat. Make a giant burger patty out of it. Throw it on the grill, grill it just like it was a hamburger, except smash it towards the end to squeeze liquids out.

Heat up a pan on the stove. Take the patty and run your spatula through the middle of it and split the giant burger in half so that you have one side that is grilled/browned and one side that is medium well inner part of burger. Place on pan with the non grilled side down. Leave sit for 2-3 minutes until you see it start to brown.

Then break up the meat as you would browning any normal burger/sausage.

This will do three wonderful things for you. First, no need to drain the meat because you squeezed the excess fat and juices out into the grill. So I just saved you cleaning a strainer. Second the grill will allow the meat to brown faster and better because it will evaporate the liquids faster. Lastly you will get a nice smoky flavor to the meat, which turns average chili to awesome.

Final step, take a couple of ounces of water or beef broth and pour it in the pan you are browning the meat in and stir. This will pull all the yummy bits that stick to the bottom of the pan up and make an au jus of sorts in the meat. Second bonus, the pan just got 25 times easier to clean, no scrubbing required.

Don't have a grill or way too much work? Do the same thing in your cast iron or SS pan. Cook giant patty in pan instead and add the step of draining back in. Just please never ever put a hunk of meat in a cold pan, if you do so the burger will drop all of it's liquids as well as cool the pan and never properly brown.

This works super awesome with tacos as well, I also do it with spaghetti too except I use the gas grill instead of charcoal because I don't want the stronger smoky flavor.

Was going to add this to the Texas Chili recipe thread but I don't eat mine that way. I add tomatoes, peppers, onions, and God forbid beans to mine.

No other changes need to be made to how you normally make chili and I promise you, your family and friends will think you have came up with a new and improved recipe.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20856 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's how I do mine, much better flavor!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Make sure to put kidney and black beans in it too.

Mmmm, SOOOO good.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

Mmmm, SOOOO good.
He said chili, not stew.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18040 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dallas239:
quote:

Mmmm, SOOOO good.
He said chili, not stew.

Here we go: the bean/no bean debate begins!

Posts: 4455 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Heat it one time.

Throw it in the fridge.

Heat it up again.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Bre! Start the sammiches! They're on about chili again!

Posts: 32569 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
I also do it with spaghetti too except I use the gas grill instead of charcoal because I don't want the stronger smoky flavor.

Booo! Booo! Big Grin
I make meatballs and mildly smoke them on my BGE specifically to get some smoke flavor.
Being indirect heat, they don't lose moisture like what you throw on directly over flame/heat. When about done drop them into the pot-o-sauce I've been simmering for 5+ hrs. and it transfers a hint of smoke to the tomato sauce, reducing the smoke on the meatballs to mild, making a wonderful blend.

Hell, I smoke my lasagna and meatloaf.
Dang, I'm going to have to do meatballs and sauce tomorrow.

Posts: 7387 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by G-Man:
quote:
Originally posted by Dallas239:
quote:

Mmmm, SOOOO good.
He said chili, not stew.

Here we go: the bean/no bean debate begins!

Please don't. This is just a method of browning meat, has nothing to do with your recipes that you use in the end to make it. As I stated I add things that people would say "that's not chili". I have yet to meet someone who didn't like my chili, but I wouldn't care if they said, "tastes good, but the beans ruin it".

To each their own.

This is most of the reason I didn't post this in the Texas Chili thread, as my chili bears no resemblance to Texas Chili. Trust me all forms can be appreciated, and if you try this method for browning the meat and make no other changes, you will be happy.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20856 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
In addition to the ground beef I like to add a pound or so of finely cubed sirloin or tri-trip (or any good beef steak), sometimes a half pound of good sausage, and a squirt of mustard.

A bowl of chili MUST be topped with a dollop of sour cream, finely chopped onions, freshly grated quality cheddar cheese, jalapeños or Chiles, and a fistful of slightly crushed Fritos. Must have Fritos!

Add a fine cold adult beverage.

Protection will be required.

Posts: 11869 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I don't get as elaborate as the OP, but I've always gotten a pretty good browning for just about any purpose. Never used the grill though.

My wife on the other hand can make it about as plain and gray as a hospital kitchen. Absolutely no browning at all. I have forbade her to do that anymore. I do all that. Even she agrees that the way I do it makes things taste better.

Posts: 7272 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:
Heat it one time.

Throw it in the fridge.

Heat it up again.

THIS is the true secret to awesome chili.

Posts: 6663 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Just please never ever put a hunk of meat in a cold pan.

Very interesting post!

Thanks for the above info as well. I've done it when cooking meat for spaghetti. Thanks to SF, I'm slowly learning... Smile

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Perfect timing in the funnies
https://www.arcamax.com/newspi...59/15962/1596243.gif

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6330 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
A bowl of chili MUST be topped with a dollop of sour cream, finely chopped onions, freshly grated quality cheddar cheese, jalapeños or Chiles, and a fistful of slightly crushed Fritos. Must have Fritos!

My granddad once proclaimed with a certain edge in his voice, that he was unaware of when 'chili' began requiring 'condiments'.

While I've enjoyed a very similar dish as described above, such peripherals can not be seriously considered as defining the real sole basis for what is 'chili'. Can it?

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just please never ever put a hunk of meat in a cold pan, if you do so the burger will drop all of it's liquids as well as cool the pan and never properly brown.

Have to dispute this part. How, exactly, will putting meat in a cold pan cool the pan? Confused

Also, browning meat can easily be accomplished starting with a cold pan, and I prefer doing so especially in cast iron as it is less likely to stick and burn. Burned meat doesn't impart any flavor that I like in a chili.

Smoking it first on the Egg does sound like an interesting twist for added flavor though.

Regarding the "condiments"...diced raw onion and cheddar cheese are necessary. Sour cream and Fritos? I don't know about that. I do love sour cream though so I may have to give that a try.

Posts: 20138 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Cook brisket on smoker.

Slice brisket into small cubes about the size of a sugar cube.

Make chili with smoked brisket, in a cast iron dutch oven, on a Big Green Egg which will allow you to impart a smoke flavor if you desire.

Enjoy the best chili you have ever made.

Posts: 14126 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm....

Actually cooking it on the Egg?

You've piqued my interest.

Posts: 20138 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Just please never ever put a hunk of meat in a cold pan, if you do so the burger will drop all of it's liquids as well as cool the pan and never properly brown.

Have to dispute this part. How, exactly, will putting meat in a cold pan cool the pan? Confused

Also, browning meat can easily be accomplished starting with a cold pan, and I prefer doing so especially in cast iron as it is less likely to stick and burn. Burned meat doesn't impart any flavor that I like in a chili.

Smoking it first on the Egg does sound like an interesting twist for added flavor though.

Regarding the "condiments"...diced raw onion and cheddar cheese are necessary. Sour cream and Fritos? I don't know about that. I do love sour cream though so I may have to give that a try.

OK, let me make it make more sense. It will make it take forever to heat up to temp for Maillard Reaction to occur (but if the meat is below room temperature it will also cool the pan too). Even when you reach temp, the meat will be releasing juices held in by fats that are now melting prior to achieving Maillard Reaction temperature, making a watery mess that needs to steam off before browning occurs.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entr...226ce4b09ecde1d9a365

Above is a link describing it, if you don't want to trust me.

Give it a try once, you'll see. Instead of gray ugly meat, you'll end up with actuality browned and flavor filled meat.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
quote:

My granddad once proclaimed with a certain edge in his voice, that he was unaware of when 'chili' began requiring 'condiments'.

While I've enjoyed a very similar dish as described above, such peripherals can not be seriously considered as defining the real sole basis for what is 'chili'. Can it?

I'm sorry. Is there a Chili Police that determines what is chili and what is not?

I grew up eating it over rice, mainly because there were 7 of us kids and my parents were not wealthy people. My wife grew up with putting a layer of Fritos down in a bowl, then the chili, then a dollop of sour cream. Are those ways "wrong"?

Posts: 33902 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post