SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best way to move desk cross country.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best way to move desk cross country. Login/Join 
posted
Mom lives in California, I live in Maryland. She wants to give me their desk that they have had my entire life. I would like to get it here but haven't figured out the best way to transport it here. Figure I have to ship it somehow but have never done that. Any suggestions?

Posts: 7469 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
When I wanted to ship a piece of furniture cross country I ended up using UPS. It wasn't cheap but I was unable to come up with a better option. They picked it up, crated it and sent it across.

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I would think a moving company with multiple loads in the area would be interested. It may take a while to get a match up.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Check out the POD containers many freight companies use. They drop off a POD container, you fill it, or hire it filled, packed, lock it and they haul it across country to your selected location. The price can b very reasonable.

Posts: 11839 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 908 | Location: TX | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
whats your price limit?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54622 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I have to ship something heavy from my parents place in Virgina to Colorado in a few months. I am going to give uship a try.

https://www.uship.com/

10 years ago I used to use a company called Forward Air. They were terminal to terminal only and were very, very reasonable. I contacted them about the shipment from my parents. Their quote came out to be about a buck per pound. I am not sure of the exact weight, so I asked them for a quote on a 700 and 900 lb pallet. Their quotes were $700 and $900, respectively.

As soon as my dad has what I need to be shipped all setup on a pallet I am going to give uship a try.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
https://www.uship.com/

I've used Uship to ship furniture, airplane parts, etc cross country and it has always come out to be less expensive than UPS, etc.

The three times that I've used it, i was very pleased with the pricing and time.

Might check that out.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Put it on a pallet/crate it and use any number of transportation / freight companies. As long as you're not in a big hurry it won't be terribly expensive. Make sure it's packed well.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Put it on a pallet/crate it and use any number of transportation / freight companies. As long as you're not in a big hurry it won't be terribly expensive. Make sure it's packed well.

This. I'd lean towards crating, especially if going across the country. LTL carriers will beat the shit out of it and the crating, while not cheap, will be worth the added protection.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Check out the POD containers many freight companies use. They drop off a POD container, you fill it, or hire it filled, packed, lock it and they haul it across country to your selected location. The price can b very reasonable.

Uhaul also has a pod service. However, they are smaller than the pods from the company POD.

Posts: 13104 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
6 lbs of tannerite?

Ooh across the country, I misread county. 12lbs then.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:

Uhaul also has a pod service. However, they are smaller than the pods from the company POD.

ubox.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Fastenal, yep, the fastener people.

https://www.fastenal.com/en/22...hird-party-logistics)

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
This. I'd lean towards crating, especially if going across the country. LTL carriers will beat the shit out of it and the crating, while not cheap, will be worth the added protection.

I agree. I assume the condition in which it arrives is important. Do the crating.

Posts: 17228 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
check with moving company's like North American or Mayflower and see if you can piggyback on a load coming east

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53175 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How awesome would it be for a member in Oxnard would offer to toss it in his pickup and haul it up there and he could meet you in Pittsburgh,
for $750.00.

that would be killer

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54622 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post