SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Most common ancestry in every state
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Most common ancestry in every state Login/Join 
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
I would never have guessed Italian families had NY and NJ covered.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: deepocean,

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

BS on the red states. The most common ancestry there is Southern American.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
My ancestors came from Prussia.

Posts: 10824 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Well crap.

Africa = Continent. What continent is Mexico? Germany? Didn't know Italy was that big. How is United States an ancestry? Did they start manufacturing DNA people less than 200 years ago? And I'm supposed to trust them with business info? WTF!

The data came from IPUMS. Stands for Idiotic People Undermining Meaningless Shit? Now I know where all of the ENRON statisticians work. Betty Crocker couldn't cook data that much. Confused

So If I can trace my ancestry in Georgia through 1735, would that make me a Precolonialerianistic Post-Vestpucian?

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
What about Polish? And Hungarian? And Czech, etc. I think they’re missing a lot of other nationalities there.

Posts: 1124 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
English would win out in a high number of states. That chart is ridiculous.

Posts: 8603 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The chart is entitled "Most common." That does not mean majority. Follow the link to the Economist article posted by 2BobTanner. It only talks about German, but is very similar to the map posted.

Still, the amount of German surprised me, and I'm 100%.

Posts: 581 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
When I was younger, I remember hearing a story (Paul Harvey's Rest of the Story?) about how the early settlers were in disagreement over what the "national language" of the new country would be, German or English. A vote was held and by one vote - cast by a German speaker - English was chosen.

His reasoning: He felt a complete disconnection from the "old country" was necessary to make this new one work.

I can't find any Google confirmation of this, though.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post