SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone have an iPhone SE?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have an iPhone SE? Login/Join 
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted
I'm getting ready to upgrade my iPhone 5S, but I don't want anything larger. The 6S and 7S are too large, much less the plus models.

The SE seems to be identical in size to the 5S, and has all the juice of the 6S. Am I missing something?

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe the 6S has a better display, faster processor and slightly longer battery life.

My girlfriend needed a phone upgrade from the 5S. We got the SE and it was the same as the 5S. Best Buy had a sale a week later and I was able to get the 6S for the same price as the 5S. She really likes the new phone.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, it's all the screen size and storage options for different models and cost.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Yes, set up both my parents and wife with SE iPhones and they all love them.

Yes, exact same form factor as 5/5S (i.e. your old cases still fit) but with better processor, more RAM, more storage and much better camera.

My wife has the 128GB model which is perfect for her as she takes lots of videos and pics of our babies.

ETA:

With that being said, I used to have a 5S and THOUGHT the 6 felt "too big", but upgraded to a 6 and after about 2 days it felt perfect. Now when I pick up my wife's SE, it feels tiny and toylike.

Don't discount the 6S, the bigger screen is very nice to have.

Posts: 33793 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
I recently got the SE and am very happy with it (my first Apple phone, BTW). It's plenty fast and I got the 128GB version, which I will never come close to filling. I've gotten as long as 4 days of use (admittedly light) and routinely get 2 - the battery life is as good or better than my former phone which was the Droid Turbo, which is noted for long battery life. This is straight battery life and I've never used the battery saver mode.The sound and reception are quite good and the camera is fantastic.

So, it's all been good for me! I'm like you, and wanted a phone that is easy to pocket and haul around and I haven't been disappointed. Plus, it's like the 5S on steroids. If you like the 5S, I can't imagine that you wouldn't like the SE.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I went from a 5 to a 64 gig SE. It's a good phone but I had difficulty using it because of my fat fingers. I've gone to a 6+, which was a step backward in every way but screen size.

I was worried that I wouldn't like the large phone, but now I wouldn't consider going back to a small one.

Posts: 26900 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I was strongly considering a SE but went with a 7 (the smaller version) and I'm glad I did. I got used to the slightly larger size. The drop protection and water resistance of the 7 is pretty good also.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21101 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyone have an iPhone SE?

My mom had the same issues with the 6 and 7. She loves her iPhone SE.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24100 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I have the SE and I love it. My first smart phone, got it last summer. I bought the (then) biggest, the 64gig. I only use about 25. I have a 6 for work and it is just too big. The SE has great battery life, a great camera, and is the perfect size. You will notice the difference in processor speed from your 5.

I really hope Apple updates and keeps this form factor because if they drop it I will go back to a dumb flip when my SE dies. The 6/7 are just too dam big.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
FYI...newer version of SE coming out Q1 2018 if you can wait a few months.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3627 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
I just got a 5SE from work 2 weeks ago and hate it. I may be biased because I am an Android fan, but dang, the SE is small. I have the Galaxy S7 for personal use, which is the perfect size for me and the 5SE is quite a bit smaller than the S7. I also have a super hard time with the dang fingerprint thing working when I press it.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcsabolt2:
FYI...newer version of SE coming out Q1 2018 if you can wait a few months.

Is this fiscal '18 (Oct) or calendar (Jan)?

I'd love to hear about the upgrades.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
I upgraded my 5 and got my wife and I both SE's a year ago- her first smartphone. While they're excellent phones and a definite big improvement over the processing of the 5, if I could do it again I would have gone for the 6S, or even the plus. This was before the 7 came out.

At the time I wasn't ready to make a change to the larger size, but after browsing on it and using it for videos more than I thought I would, I think a slightly larger screen would have been better for me.

I plan to upgrade to the 8 sometime after it comes out- and I'll probably opt for the larger model if there is one.

That being said, for having it in your pocket the smaller size and weight is not a bad thing, *IF* the screen size works for you. Otherwise it does everything I need it to, and very well at that.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
The Mrs. has an SE, and she likes the size. It works just fine. Not everyone wants a large phone.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10489 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
The iPhone SE is an iPhone 6s in a 5/5s chassis. It is mostly a 6s, in that it uses the 6s internals/antennae/cameras, but they did retain some of the 5 components. The most significant 5 component is the screen. As such, the SE doesn't support force touch like a 6s does. Also, because the fingerprint reader is part of the screen assembly, the SE also has a 5s fingerprint reader. This makes it a little slower to read a fingerprint than a 6s. However, the SE does support Apple Pay.

All in all, I love my SE. I have both a 6s plus, and a SE. The SE is a great little phone, and I love the feel of the 5 chassis. I think it's the straight sides that I love.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
SE here.
I hate the bigger phones. I have had it almost 2 years now I am glad to see there will be a refresh soon.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25417 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
I went through two 5Cs that had bad processors. Over a three-year period, both phones caused me all kinds of problems with lost notes, terrible sync issues, and I ended up with at least 10 case numbers from Technical Support. The engineers finally gave up and I was able to get one sympathetic senior supervisor to approve an SE for me because I couldn't fit a regular-size 6 in my uniform pocket.

I have had zero---and I mean zero---problems. The SE is a great phone.

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife and I both love ours.

Posts: 17141 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
My son has one, with an Otterbox case. It's held up well.

If you don't need all the latest technology, and a YUUUGE memory, it should work.

I'm still rocking a 5S.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
My brother went from a Galaxy 4 Mini to the Apple SE strictly because of the size. The Android to Apple transition didn't bother him for long.

My wife had a 4S for work that IT finally decided they should upgrade - duh. She asked for an SE because she liked the small size but they weren't buying those for people and insisted she have the smaller of the 7 series. She quickly adapted to the larger form factor.

I still have a 4 Mini and am unsure which size to go with when the time comes.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Blackmore,

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3447 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post