SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dog Wrestling...

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Dog Wrestling... Login/Join 
#DrainTheSwamp
Picture of P229 357SIG Man
posted
I feel like I'm in a UFC heavyweight match when I attempt to clip our dog's nails so we take her to the Vet to get it done for $18 a pop. They do a great job, way better than PetSmart but that adds up to over $200 per year. Any suggestions in how to get her to calm down and cooperate?

P226 9 mm
P229 .357 SIG
Glock 17
AR15 Spikes - Noveske - Daniel Defense Frankenbuild

Posts: 944 | Location: Glen Allen, Virginia | Registered: January 05, 2003Report This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Did my dog today. We lay him down, and my wife keeps the bacon treats coming the entire time I do them. She breaks them in a million bits, so it only takes 4 or 5 till I'm done. n I've used a dremel some in the past too. cordless with a light. but it put a lot of dust in the air and grossed me out. he took to that a little better though.

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Report This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
The one job I really hate, although my pooch doesn't really mind it too bad.

I clip the bulk of them first, and then go at them with a dremel which works very well. I try to wait for a windy day because, yes, the cloud of nail dust is kind of gross.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Report This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Start with touching her feet. Make sure treats are involved. Get her used to having her feet touched. Be sure to have lots of praise.
Next work on getting her to understand the clippers or dremel. Add treats. Add praise.
Finally, do ONE nail. Add treats and praise.
After a couple of days, repeat with One Nail.

Remember dogs are very in tune with their owners. No doubt when you get ready to clip nails, there's an inner dialogue and you tense up. The Vet staff does this daily and, no doubt, is quite relaxed.

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazi...-your-dogs-toenails/
https://www.lovethatpet.com/do...trimming-dogs-nails/

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Report This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
yes it starts early. I do a nail every dinner. If i got lazy my dog does anything for carrots so i use that.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Report This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I used to do our Ibizan, her claws were clear. Our current crew, the wife pays the vet because they all have black nails. Even when the vet cuts a bleeder, she stops it quick with the stiptik stuff.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Report This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
My late Staffordshire Terrier(Pitbull) Scarlett in her younger days was a terror. She was very sensitive around her feet. Her left front leg was injured before we got her and incorrectly healed.

First time I tried to clip her nails she fought and fought hard. Next time in conjunction with a vet visit I had them clip them. It took two of us to hold her while the vet clipped. That little girl had a lot of fight in her!

The vet was quite surprised too, she did not growl or bite, just wanted to flail and escape.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Report This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

My wife's take on toe nail trimming:

Toe nail trimming, both sides of the story........

What I say happened

I got out the trimmers and the dogs all acted like it was the end of their lives. Some were resigned to it, others screamed in pain before I even touched their feet. All survived unhurt.

What the dogs say happened

She came at us with a chain saw. Those of us not paralyzed with fear tried to avoid having our paws cut off by running away and/or crying out. There was an ambulance and a helicopter standing by to transport injured dogs to the hospital to get paw transplants. It was horrible. After we returned from the intensive care unit, we got treats.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Report This Post
#DrainTheSwamp
Picture of P229 357SIG Man
posted Hide Post
UPDATE: Our washer and dryer set on pedestals which put the tops 48" off of the ground. We put our pup up there and were able to clip her nails with very little resistance. So, I guess her fear of heights is greater than her fear of the nail clipper. We had treats on hand and rewarded her after each paw. The $18 we saved will go towards ammo.

P226 9 mm
P229 .357 SIG
Glock 17
AR15 Spikes - Noveske - Daniel Defense Frankenbuild

Posts: 944 | Location: Glen Allen, Virginia | Registered: January 05, 2003Report This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
Start with touching her feet. Make sure treats are involved. Get her used to having her feet touched. Be sure to have lots of praise.
Next work on getting her to understand the clippers or dremel. Add treats. Add praise.
Finally, do ONE nail. Add treats and praise.
After a couple of days, repeat with One Nail.

This. It's much easier to do this from the very beginning, when they're a puppy. (That's one of my main tips to folks with new puppies: Get your puppy used to being touched/clipped/brushed/washed/etc EARLY.)

But you can train an older dog the same way. It just takes longer.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
When I lived in the city or went for lots of walks on paved roads never had to clip nails at all.

Posts: 3572 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fischtown7:
When I lived in the city or went for lots of walks on paved roads never had to clip nails at all.

This. I'm kinda lucky that I have a big cement patio and an old cement dog run from my coonhound days.
My dog runs around on that and I haven't had to touch his nails.
Bath is a different story. 68 pound Pit Bull that bucks like a horse at bath time. Strong SOB.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Report This Post