SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Apple Quietly Kills iPod Shuffle and Nano
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apple Quietly Kills iPod Shuffle and Nano Login/Join 
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
I still use a first gen iPod touch because I can't get a headphone to plug into my iPhone thanks to the Lifeproof case.

Great news! Your Lifeproof case came with an adapter for that specific purpose.

Also, once you upgrade your iPhone to 7 or better, you'll just be using the lightning port anyway, which also requires an adapter, but works just fine with Lifeproof's cases.

But if you really want to carry extra devices around...

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I have an iPhone but I'm not going to carry it at the gym or on a run. I have a Shuffle that is great for that. Clip it on the bottom of my t-shirt and I'm ready to go.

I can see why they are doing it but if I didn't have the Shuffle I'd just buy some cheap small mp3 player.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
quote:
Nano? What is that?

Something Beretta wishes that they never made.

Ouch

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
I just bought Mrs Cliff a 5th generation used nano off ebay for fiddy bucks. Works like new and has 8 Gigs of storage which is a improvement over her old MP3 player that was starting to crap out.

I have 3 ipods. a older nano that I have not used for some time, an 7th generation nano for my workouts, and a old ipod huge classic for my truck. Like Hound Dog mine is plugged into my sound system in the truck and I can listen to my playlists like I want to.

I do not used Itunes to move music to my Ipods. Too restrictive. I came across this nice little piece of software a few years back.

https://www.copytrans.net

I use this to drag and drop music to my Ipods. Easy to use and you have control over moving your music as you see fit. Not Itunes. It is not free. $20 bucks to buy. IMHO it's worth it. One time buy with excellent support and updates.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7652 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
I still have a first generation iPod shuffle.
The missus uses it when she is doing gardening.

It still works well.

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
All of this begs yet another question. Since all I use on my phone when doing the yard or other tasks is iHeartradio or Spotify to play music, do people actually prefer to have music files on their phones/devices?

I don't stream music. I download it and then I only listen to the music I like. I'm not a technological 'early adopter,' (more of a late-adopter), so maybe that just makes me behind the times. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:
I still use a first gen iPod touch because I can't get a headphone to plug into my iPhone thanks to the Lifeproof case.

Great news! Your Lifeproof case came with an adapter for that specific purpose.

Also, once you upgrade your iPhone to 7 or better, you'll just be using the lightning port anyway, which also requires an adapter, but works just fine with Lifeproof's cases.

But if you really want to carry extra devices around...

-Rob

Never noticed an adapter for the case. It's only for the gym and mowing plus all my music is already on the iPod so screw it. Effort. Razz

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
I just saw this and do not think it was announced previously?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/h...-to-go/#5e202654443c

I completely understand this move but I have no desire to buy an apple watch or carry an ihpne while I walk or work out.

I just read about a new device coming out called a mighty which is basically an IPod nano but for streaming services like Spotify

https://www.google.com/amp/s/w...otify-player-review/

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don't know about the quality or reliability; but you may want to look into Bluetooth headphones/earbuds.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still use an ipod touch. My iphone would cost upwards of 700 dollars to replace. An ipod touch is much less.

They marketed these all wrong. They should have been tiny, waterproof, wireless, easy to charge and cheap.

For exercise and sweat, these were a no brainer.

Posts: 7346 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Never been a fan of "all in one" gadgets. As an example stereo equipment was/is separate components. So for me using a phone as a music player is not something I'm going to do. My battery powered device (not an iPhone either) is for communications period.

Regarding these Apple MP3 players, one of my sons gave me one. I returned it after experiencing that goat rope called iTunes and what I perceived as the non-user freindly interface of the device.

And as for no market, all one has to do is look at places like headfi.com and you'll see many portable music players from various manufacturers (Apple is NOT a player here) reviewed and lauded. Of course these are capable of playing much much higher quality digital music files than the old school MP3. I have one and use it with one of several audiophile quality IEMs (inner ear monitors). Mine is capable of handling a pair of 200Gb cards for literally hundreds of albums worth of high quality digital files.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Never been a fan of "all in one" gadgets. As an example stereo equipment was/is separate components. So for me using a phone as a music player is not something I'm going to do. My battery powered device (not an iPhone either) is for communications period.

Regarding these Apple MP3 players, one of my sons gave me one. I returned it after experiencing that goat rope called iTunes and what I perceived as the non-user freindly interface of the device.

And as for no market, all one has to do is look at places like headfi.com and you'll see many portable music players from various manufacturers (Apple is NOT a player here) reviewed and lauded. Of course these are capable of playing much much higher quality digital music files than the old school MP3. I have one and use it with one of several audiophile quality IEMs (inner ear monitors). Mine is capable of handling a pair of 200Gb cards for literally hundreds of albums worth of high quality digital files.

Apple sells products in the millions. They could care less what a select few audiophiles do. If iPods were still selling they would still be available. 95% of people like using their phones for music and streaming services instead of MP3's or other formats. They are just playing the numbers.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've seen people use them on a boat and plug it into the boat's head unit. You don't want to miss phone calls and texts all day because your phone is tied up plugged into the stereo and you have a dead phone battery anyways.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
quote:
Originally posted by darkest2000:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Forgive my lack of audiophile credentials, but why would one wish to own one of these anymore given almost everyone owns and carries a smartphone that can handle playing music?

That's exactly why apple is nixing them.

Ever since I started carrying an iPhone, I've not used MP3 players of any sort. The phone (any smart phone) does it all.

I still use an iPod. My phone is a work phone; music files are not allowed. Also, the iPod is smaller, so it's easier to carry when running.

I also don't want to needlessly drain my phone battery.

I'm willing to bet that an overwhelming majority of people actually still have their cell phones with them while they're running or exercising, etc.

Also, music playback is very lean on battery consumption.

As for your work phone not allowing for music...well that can't be helped, this applies to smart phones for personal use. Wink

Posts: 10831 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:

I don't stream music. I download it and then I only listen to the music I like.

Well, everything is going to streaming now, it's pretty much the future of all music and TV. Apple's iTunes sales are way down as more and more people simply stream their music via services like Spotify and Pandora. Personally I like it as it's a lot less work and more like popping on the radio but with a huge amount of choice.

Posts: 33604 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:

Well, everything is going to streaming now, it's pretty much the future of all music and TV. Apple's iTunes sales are way down as more and more people simply stream their music via services like Spotify and Pandora. Personally I like it as it's a lot less work and more like popping on the radio but with a huge amount of choice.

I believe Apple Music is $10 a month which comes to $120 per year. You can buy 92 songs off of iTunes for that much.

I doubt the music industry produces 92 songs in any given year that I want to listen to. When I peruse the top 100 songs in any given year, there may be 20 songs at most that I want to listen to.

Posts: 6608 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:

The telecom infrastructure in our country is still a large hurdle to be crossed before streaming/internet driven devices completely take over. On any routine trip to a neighboring city I will go through a number of cell/data dead zones with no coverage or streaming ability. Anywhere from 1/2 to 3/4 of the trip. Part of that is Alaska and our abysmal telecom companies, but I have friends in Wyoming, Idaho, Oregon, & Missouri who have the same problem. Unless you live along a major interstate corridor, reliable mobile service is still not, well, reliable. Even high speed internet is still yet to reach much of the country.

Someone earlier asked why anyone would want a "dumb" mp3 player that isn't connected to the internet or other devices. Children. I still can control what my children listen to if I'm the one that loads the music, and it doesn't connect to the internet. It's another reason besides the many other good ones already listed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13939 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
I have an Ipod I use all the time. I hate Itunes and refuse to use it but I use the fm radio on my Ipod everyday.

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
I'm not a slave to my phone, nor do I always want that weight in my pocket. Phones aren't permitted in our work areas. So, I have several refurbed Nanos for work, exercising and plugged into the car. I'm happy.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I've seen people use them on a boat and plug it into the boat's head unit. You don't want to miss phone calls and texts all day because your phone is tied up plugged into the stereo and you have a dead phone battery anyways.
Interesting. When I go boating, my phone stays in my truck on the charger. Those few hours wetting a line or sightseeing belong to me. I'll return any messages when I get out of the water.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post