SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Apple Quietly Kills iPod Shuffle and Nano
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apple Quietly Kills iPod Shuffle and Nano Login/Join 
posted
I just saw this and do not think it was announced previously?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/h...-to-go/#5e202654443c

I completely understand this move but I have no desire to buy an apple watch or carry an ihpne while I walk or work out.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
From the article

quote:
For those fretting that they didn’t get to grab one last item, don’t worry too much! It’s likely that these products will be available on a variety of websites for years to come, as wholesalers will be looking to unload their stocks and those who have decided to move on will work to sell theirs for a few dollars, if possible

And, with no moving parts - some have no displays - used ones will probably be in good shape, and most likely you will be able to get decent used replacements via eBay for a good long time after the stock sells out.

Posts: 15029 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
There are is no shortage of cheap and simpe MP3 players out there--if you don't need a feature rich iPod touch, you could get a iPod nano or shuffle knockoff for $20.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Forgive my lack of audiophile credentials, but why would one wish to own one of these anymore given almost everyone owns and carries a smartphone that can handle playing music?

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Forgive my lack of audiophile credentials, but why would one wish to own one of these anymore given almost everyone owns and carries a smartphone that can handle playing music?

That's exactly why apple is nixing them.

Ever since I started carrying an iPhone, I've not used MP3 players of any sort. The phone (any smart phone) does it all.

Posts: 10833 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I still use a first gen iPod touch because I can't get a headphone to plug into my iPhone thanks to the Lifeproof case.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use mine to run with because it is so much smaller and lighter

Posts: 251 | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
I have a Shuffle that is great when doing yard work. It has a built in clip that I can attach to my hat/shirt & is very lightweight. Works great.

I use my Nano in my Jeep - connected via USB. The stock radio interfaces w/ the iPod & I can control what to play.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
quote:

Forgive my lack of audiophile credentials

Oh, believe, no audiophile credentials required for any MP3 playback.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darkest2000:
quote:

That's exactly why apple is nixing them.

Ever since I started carrying an iPhone, I've not used MP3 players of any sort. The phone (any smart phone) does it all.

I still use an iPod. My phone is a work phone; music files are not allowed. Also, the iPod is smaller, so it's easier to carry when running.

I also don't want to needlessly drain my phone battery.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Nano? What is that?

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billnchristy:
quote:

Forgive my lack of audiophile credentials

Oh, believe, no audiophile credentials required for any MP3 playback.

Yeah!! Don't confuse audiophile with convienence.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I used to use mine all day long at work, not wanting to use up the charge on my phone.

I changed jobs, now my iPod stays plugged into my car stereo full time, tucked under the seat and forgotten about.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have a 7-yr old Nano. It is about 1" square, maybe 1/8-1/4" thick, and has a built-in clip. I use it for the gym; I can simply clip it to my shirt or shorts, and I don't have to bring my (relatively) big and clunky phone along. I really love it, except that it doesn't work on anything newer than Win7 (built-in obsolescence). It's perfect for me for running/working out.

I still use a 7-yr old Touch for my truck to listen to my music. This is essentially an iPhone 2 without the phone part, and it's great for traveling tunes.

I love the Apple MP3 players, but I LOATHE their operating systems. Using iTunes is a royal PITA, and I therefore don't update them with music very often (it's been about 2 yrs since I've updated the Nano; about 6 months for the Touch).

I got a Sony MP3 player for my gym tunes now. It's a LOT easier to use than iTunes (drag-and-drop on Windows Explorer), and it's much less expensive than any Apple product.

I will never buy another Apple product for as long as I live.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I don't have any music on my phone. I still use an original ipod touch that must be 10 years old now. I haven't updated it in probably nine years.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
quote:

For the same reason my Seecamp 32 is a better choice than my P220 from time to time.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
All of this begs yet another question. Since all I use on my phone when doing the yard or other tasks is iHeartradio or Spotify to play music, do people actually prefer to have music files on their phones/devices?

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
quote:
All of this begs yet another question. Since all I use on my phone when doing the yard or other tasks is iHeartradio or Spotify to play music, do people actually prefer to have music files on their phones/devices?

Im an Amazon Prime member and I take full advantage of their music and movie offerings. I download movies and music to my Iphone while Im on wireless to save data.

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nano? What is that?

Something Beretta wishes that they never made.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

Nano? What is that?

The iPod Nano is/was an Apple mp3 player in the reduced form of the original iPod. Initially it had an LCD screen with a touch wheel control below. The 6th gen version was about 1.5" square w/ a touch screen, while the 7th gen resembled a 3"x1.5" iPod Touch.

Apple's iPod support page has pics & links to the specs on each.

Hope this helps.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post