SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for any LEO from Rome, GA
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for any LEO from Rome, GA Login/Join 
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted
If anyone on the board is an LEO from Rome, GA, I am looking for any information you can provide on the Berry College student who was shot off-campus sometime Friday.

My daughter is a student at Berry so as a father of a Berry student, I take great interest in such things, especially when my 18-year old needs to make treks off-campus from time to time. Thanks!

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4551 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
Two 19 year-olds arrested in connection with slaying of Berry student

Floyd County Police arrested two Columbus teenagers Saturday night in connection with the Saturday morning shooting death of a Berry College student. Major Jeff Jones with the Floyd County Police identified the first suspect as 19 year-old Ricket Carter of Columbus. Jones said that Carter was acquainted with the victim, Joseph P. McDaniel, 20, also of Columbus.

A second arrest was made approximately an hour after Carter was arrested in Columbus. Jones identified the suspect as Troy Cokley, 19, of Riverdale, an associate of Carter’s. Both men will be charged with felony armed robbery and felony murder.

McDaniel was shot in the chest at the Summerstone Apartments off Old Summerville Road around 2:26 Saturday morning. Jones said a handgun was used in the armed robbery and shooting. Jones and other Floyd County investigators were following other leads late Saturday night.

Coroner Gene Proctor said someone heard a shot and then heard someone crying which prompted the call to 911. A lookout was posted a short time later for a black automobile that left the gated community in a hurry.

“A lot of knocking and talking led us to Columbus,” Jones said Saturday night. “We are continuing to do searches.” The investigator said Columbus Police were also assisting with the investigation.

In an e-mail to Berry College students and staff, Dean of Students Debbie Heida said McDaniel was a third-year student majoring in business management.

“As a college community already mourning the loss of one of its students, this additional tragedy cuts deep. We grieve with Joseph’s family and friends,” Heida said in her letter to students and staff. Earlier this month, Berry lost a cross-country runner, David Shankles, a sophomore from the Knoxville, Tennessee, area died unexpectedly.

“Our community has been remarkable in showing support and care for each other in tragic circumstances and it is heartbreaking to need to do so again,” Heida wrote. “Please be as supportive of each other as possible as we all seek to make sense of this tragedy.”

Carter and Cokley were returned to Floyd County Sunday morning and are being held in the Floyd County Jail without bond.

Posts: 1817 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Floyd County Police arrested two Columbus teenagers

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info!

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4551 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post