SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So, bendable will be proud of me
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So, bendable will be proud of me Login/Join 
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Layin' out $4500 this week to a tree removal company. In addition to things like removing a sweetgum tree growing to close to my house, with roots starting to get under my slab, removing a dead birch and severely trimming back a water birch in my front yard that has gotten huge, the main event is a 60 foot oak tree that has died and is leaning towards my bedroom.

bendable warns us from time to time about the trees that can kill you but I'm beatin' the death tree to the punch.

The tree guy looked at this tree and said "That's an accident waiting to happen."

So, goodbye money. Hello, peace of mind.

You do know, you just wrote a killer Country song.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43865 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
Layin' out $4500 this week to a tree removal company. In addition to things like removing a sweetgum tree growing to close to my house, with roots starting to get under my slab, removing a dead birch and severely trimming back a water birch in my front yard that has gotten huge, the main event is a 60 foot oak tree that has died and is leaning towards my bedroom.

bendable warns us from time to time about the trees that can kill you but I'm beatin' the death tree to the punch.

The tree guy looked at this tree and said "That's an accident waiting to happen."

So, goodbye money. Hello, peace of mind.

You do know, you just wrote a killer Country song.

You gotta add grandma...a Christmas Tree, Reindeer and a hedgehog dancing to Fleetwood Mac to finish it off Big Grin Cool Big Grin...so Bendable will will be proud...(Bendable is such a SIGForum treasure...I mean that from my heart of hearts Smile)

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
♪♫♬Goodbye money♪♫♬
♪♫♬Hello piece 'o mind♪♫♬ ♪♫♬♪♫♬

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
Wink ...bucket trucks are your friend!...

I spent this afternoon cutting off enough pecan branches to make a new tree... I think I would have killed someone for one of these.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
Wink ...bucket trucks are your friend!...

Ya... but it's fun to watch the old-fashioned rope and cleats guys work!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24055 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
My guy said there's no way he'd have one of his people climb the tree in question. That should tell you where we're at with this.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107487 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
Hope you get to watch the tree guys do their thing. They're a unique sub-species of human beings.
Having run several tree crews in a former life, I can confirm this statement.

Posts: 6452 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Once they start leaning to left you gotta cut them down.

Posts: 1550 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
now I just gotta keep harping on the neighbor Frannie and her monster tree

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54602 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
It's gonna eat them power lines!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43865 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
now I just gotta keep harping on the neighbor Frannie and her monster tree

Wow, did the power company ever hack that poor tree Frown

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
many many years of neglect ruined her tree 18 years ago. ( before she even moved in to the home)

Posts: 54602 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
'tis done, but for the stump grinding, which will take place tomorrow.

The death tree is no more.

Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:

Good. You are wise to have the stump removed. The only solution to that is to have it professionally done.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
don't let them fill the hole in w/ sawdust chips, get them hauled off.

black top soil only .

Kibutzing sequence : X done O 1/2 done

Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
My son worked for a tree service for about 7 years. Still has all his rope and harness gear. I have 2 large (75 foot) maple trees in the yard. Every 5 years or so he comes over and climbs and swings around in the canopy like Tarzan trimming it up.

I've been trying to get the wife to let me get rid of them but she will have no part of it. They do provide shade for the entire house all summer.

They are a mess. Starts out in spring with little red buds laying everywhere. Next come the seeds known around here as helicopters because of the spinning way they fall from the trees were in the millions!! I've never seen them produce the seeds like this before.

Next up will be when the leaves drop in fall. Literally ankle deep covering the entire yard.
Then there is the ever present pain in the ass roots above the ground spreading 10 feet out from the base of the tree making mowing difficult.

Of course the wife does not have to deal with any of this which is why she is a proponent of keeping them.

I'd take that oak wood off your hands if I was in your area. Best wood to use in a smoker. Or I have a nice smoker for sale I will give ya a great deal on! Smile

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted July 19, 2018 04:26 PM Hide Post
don't let them fill the hole in w/ sawdust chips, get them hauled off.

black top soil only

Yep. Iowa chernozem is best. If not you will be filling in a sunken hole for years.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
'tis done, but for the stump grinding, which will take place tomorrow.

Good! Was it hollow in the middle? Rotted at all?
Did you take pics?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24055 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, there were voids in the trunk and over the last year and a half, the tree had lost major limbs. No, I didn't take any pictures.