SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So, bendable will be proud of me
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So, bendable will be proud of me Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
Layin' out $4500 this week to a tree removal company. In addition to things like removing a sweetgum tree growing to close to my house, with roots starting to get under my slab, removing a dead birch and severely trimming back a water birch in my front yard that has gotten huge, the main event is a 60 foot oak tree that has died and is leaning towards my bedroom.

bendable warns us from time to time about the trees that can kill you but I'm beatin' the death tree to the punch.

The tree guy looked at this tree and said "That's an accident waiting to happen."

So, goodbye money. Hello, peace of mind.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
You give those trees an inch, and they'll take the yard.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
They'll take the yard but leave the cannoli.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Ask them about stump grinding if that's not part of the quote.
Done properly they take it down at least 6" under ground level and top it off with soil. Much better than waiting years for the stump to go (rot) away and having the raised area for years after that.

You may want to sleep in a different bedroom until it's down. Why tempt fate?

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be sure and have the stumps ground and dirt put in to fill the depression. You will appreciate this later. Have experience in this department.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Hope you get to watch the tree guys do their thing. They're a unique sub-species of human beings.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8328 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Ouch. I hate it when I've got to spend that kindof money on much of anything...

(Except maybe a nice vacation...)

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
A sweet gum, a dead birch, and an oak.

Well these things come in trees.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31427 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:

Oh Gawd!! I luv it Big Grin

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
Hope you get to watch the tree guys do their thing. They're a unique sub-species of human beings.

Yep, a buddy has a video of his tree guy falling out of a tree on site. His neighbor saw the upcoming disaster developing and recorded it for posterity.
This was 1990 ish. Dude was all tatted up including Razor Wire tats around his neck.
Buddy's soon to be wife is Japanese and couldn't understand the tats. She actually asked "How is he going to be able to get into a nice French restaurant looking like that"?
Buddy responded that he didn't think that was going to be a problem. :-)

Posts: 1960 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

It was either a son of a birch or a son of a beech. Or maybe a nice piece of ash.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I hear what you are saying.

Since living in Missouri we have built two homes. The first one was surrounded by trees because everyone said you had to do that to get some shade. Huge mistake. I spent countless hours raking and blowing the leaves around and then one of them died and and we had to hire a tree company to take it down...piece by piece.

By the time we built the second one, I learned my lesson. We bulldozed all the trees out and now our piece of mind is there and the leaf blowing is so much quicker. Smile

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:

Nicely done!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:

Just before selling our townhouse in MD, we had to hire a tree service because the tree in our front yard had way overgrown, branches laying on the shingles, etc. Next door neighbor was selling at the same time, and she split the cost. The tree grew in our yard, but many of the issues impacted her house as well. The tree service team showed up with a cherry picker truck and another truck with a belt fed chipper. The guy in the cherry picker was a wonder to watch work. He swung this way and that, attaching lines to the branches before he cut them off, backed off to take an assessment, swung back into action. He was fast, kept two helpers on the ground busy carrying branches and feeding the chipper. The whole operation lasted about an hour, and he removed a considerable amount of wood, leaving a well shaped and much smaller tree. Fascinating tradesman.

Back in MD, many very old and large oak trees would fall over in any high wind storm, due to internal rot and no strength. We just had a large (50ft crown) Palo Verde blow over in the front yard, probably due to a passing dirt devil as it was not a very windy day. Rotted inside the trunk, with no sign on the outside that its demise was imminent.

I will never plant trees that close (25 feet) to the house again.

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
One reason I chose this particular company is that the owner doesn't sub out any work and his entire crew was born in the United States.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^

It is amazing how hard it is to do that these days. We just put new floors in our house and I had to go through 6 decently named contractors before we found one.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
You give those trees an inch, and they'll take the yard.

H&K-Guy

Big Grin

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15559 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
I can recommend a local stump grinder if your in need after the trees are down.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
are you going to video the event...you know...so we can all enjoy it? Smile

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post