SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cell Phone Screen Protectors?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cell Phone Screen Protectors? Login/Join 
Picture of bobandmikako
posted
I recently bought a Samsung S9 after using phones with smaller screens for many years. I never worried about screen protectors on the smaller phones and never broke one. I have always used some type of case for the back like a Magpul bump case or Otterbox Symmetry. The AT&T guy told me I really need a screen protector on the Samsung S9 and other phones like it. Do most people use screen protectors? If so, can someone recommend a good type or brand? How long do they last? Thanks.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
I use them. Just look for one made from tempered glass. And don't apply one near a cat, the static electricity will attract cat hair to the adhesive. Ask me how I know...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Cheapest tempered glass for my model on Amazon

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
+1 for tempered glass from amazon

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I don't use them. I hate them. They ruin the feel of the phone for me. I also have the S9 and see no reason to get a screen protector. A good case will protect my phone just fine.

My wife on the other hand needs one on her phones. She has the iPhone X and has already cracked the screen protector requiring a new one. It did a good job of protecting her phone. It also came with a lifetime warranty (the screen protector) so it was replaced for "free." Not really free though since we had to pay $10 to ship it. We weren't allowed to simply pick out a new one in the store. It was "tempered glass" made by PureGear.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
I use an OtterBox Defender for my S7. Comes with its own screen protector. Sensitivity of the screen protector works fine for me. It's part of the OtterBox; no application necessary.

OtterBox Defender S7

Posts: 9041 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
I use an OtterBox Defender for my S7. Comes with its own screen protector. Sensitivity of the screen protector works fine for me. It's part of the OtterBox; no application necessary.

I second the use of the otterbox, it's what I use for my S9+ but with raised edges there's no need for tempered glass.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:

^^ Otterbox Defender here as well. Drop safety plus screen protection.

Posts: 2366 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Years ago I used several types of protectors on my phones. But these days, with virtually ever phone sporting gorilla glass or the equivalent, I find them superfluous. Better is a good case with impact cushioning corners.

And as an aside some add on screen protectors foul up the touch screen efficiency. I experienced that before and was NOT happy.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16214 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
One of the nice things about buying a OnePlus phone is that it comes with a pre-installed screen protector. No need to fumble around installing one, or trying to keep dust and grit out from under the one you install yourself. Almost three years later the pre-installed protector is still serving me well.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can find them on Ebay.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
I pay $35 or so far a zagg screen protector. if they crack call and they send you a new one free. Replaced 3 so far with no issues, all 3 would have broken the phone glass for sure

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5132 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
Usually I go with tempered glass for the feel and the shatter resistance.

I have the Galaxy S7 Edge, with the curved edges. They didn't make a protector that covered the edge, and I didn't like the ridge from the screen protector just covering the front, so I opted for a case that gave good corner protection.

Most cracked screens are from dropping the phone and it hitting a corner of the phone. The stress from the impact is what cracks the screen. With a good case, it's a non issue, and the screes are Corning Gorilla Glass, so no worries about scratches anymore.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Never used them. Don't like the feel and look of them.

I've also never broken a screen in the 12 years I've had smart phones.
If I did break a screen, I'll just have it repaired and hope for another 12 years.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
tempered glass

^^^THIS^^^

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I use Maxboost tempered glass from Amazon. Seem to be as good as Zagg but much cheaper.

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
I have Whitestone Dome tempered glass on my S9+. For those that complain about the feel of a screen protector, you are using the flexible plastic stuff. Tempered glass feels the same as the actual screen.

Posts: 8273 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
I got the S9 a few months ago and put a screen protector on from 5 Below. I've always had a screen protector on my S3, S5 and S7 as well. I tend to change them about every 3 months or so.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
The tempered glass ones don't really change the feel or look of the screen.

Anti-scratch Gorilla Glass works. It's really hard to scratch. On devices that have Gorilla Glass, I don't usually bother with screen protectors, and I haven't cracked a screen or gotten a bad scratch in years and years.

I did drop a small glass bottle on my Pixel 2 XL screen (Gorilla Glass). It didn't crack or scratch the screen, but it did screw up a small area of pixels under the glass. Maybe I should have put a protector on after all!

On something like a Nintendo Switch, which has a very scratchable screen, I absolutely get a tempered glass screen protector.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. I think I'll order a tempered glass screen protector and give it a try.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post