SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Alabama abortion ban: Nation’s strictest abortion bill passes; no rape, incest exceptions
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Alabama abortion ban: Nation’s strictest abortion bill passes; no rape, incest exceptions Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Out in the hall they were talking in a whisper
Everybody noticed she was gone awhile
Somebody said, "She's gone to her sisters"
Everybody knew what they were talking about

When I was a kid, teenage pregnancy was a shameful thing, a truly, genuinely shameful thing. Bruce Hornsby had it right. If you were an underage girl and you got pregnant, you got shipped off to relatives in some other state.
But, these days, there is no shame in teenage pregnancy. Hell, you've got mamas out there proudly posting pics of their swollen-up 15 years old daughters on Facebook.

When I was younger, having an abortion- though legal by that time- was something to be hidden and not discussed, and was something that was not undertaken lightly, but now, young women use abortion as if it's birth control.

I understand what the state of Alabama is trying to do; they are trying to snap people out of their trance. They are trying to put the brakes on the attitude that it's no big deal for an underage girl to become pregnant, because she can simply have the child removed from her body, because society has somehow made such things perfectly acceptable. Alabama seeks to adopt such a strict law because they have witnessed the changes in societal attitudes about abortion over the years. They feel the need to take such an extreme stance in order to counter the damaging direction Planned Parenthood and other uch organizations have taken this nation. They know exactly what they're doing, even if you fail to see it.

Legal abortion is necessary and acceptable, because illegal abortion is dangerous, and that's the only reason that it's necessary and acceptable. Women are going to have their abortions, one way or the other, but society needs to discourage the attitude that getting pregnant at 15 is something to be proud of, and that you can get rid of a child as easily as having a tooth pulled.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Watch 7:20-12:20, the entire video is worth watching, but everyone doesn't have 50 free minutes to watch a video. If someone can still be for abortion after watching this then they are either heartless, ignorant, or brainwashed.

Good to see two millennials express conservative views. I love Candice and am really starting to like Allie.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/wZhJcP1O_wg

For some more in depth rather gross illustrations watch these. If after watching these you still think abortion is no big deal, then I don't know what to call you. The last two are straight up evil.

1st Trimester Pill Abortion

1st Trimester D&C Abortion

2nd Trimester D&E Abortion

3rd Trimester Induction Abortion - Injections & Stillbirth

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Libs love killing babies so much I'm surprised they aren't pushing for 1st term abortions.

(...of college)

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Report This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
This is supposed to be how Federalism works, right? So good for Alabama, and good for the clinics in neighboring states, five minutes away from the state line.

I'm just glad I don't have to worry about that brand of nanny statism here, instead I get to deal with leftists who think owning a gun is immoral, and wish to strip me of those rights.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Report This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
This is about the only thing on which I would side with the democrats. It is a personal issue. Not federal. Not State. Personal.

Govt. stay out of peoples life. (No very bad pun intended)

And I don't think abortion as birth control should be the taxpayers problem. If medical reasons, or crime involved, then ok.

Somehow, someway people need to be exposed to the realities of the consequences of irresponsibility before he and she drop their pants. One moment, a few seconds, of irresponsibility has consequences.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Report This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Societal condemnation worked. So did shotgun weddings.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Report This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I've heard the argument that "we need legal abortion so it will be safe", otherwise, women will have to go into alleys to have someone do it with a coat hanger. But that's not the way it works in practice.

When states try and regulate abortion by making it so that facilities have to be clean, inspected, and up to medical standards, some judge rules that's too restrictive and an undue burden on the abortion provider. Now, abortion clinics don't really have to meet any health standards.

When a state tries and regulate abortion so that a healthcare professional must be the one that performs it, some judge rules that's an undue burden on the person receiving the abortion. Now, midwives, and even less qualified persons, can perform abortion.

When a state tries and regulate abortion by requiring the that the person who performs it have admitting privileges to a hospital so a woman who has one of the many serious or life threatening complications that often arise, some judge rules that is burden on everyone involved. So now, many women who are injured by the procedure are simply sent home to deal with the complications of this traumatic surgery on their own.

All these things I've listed actually have happened.

People want unrestricted abortion "so it will be safe," and as a result, anyone, anywhere, and under any condition, can perform it. Safe? Hardly.

In fact, abortion always kills someone. And it always - ALWAYS - injures the mother. Complications almost always include one of more of the following:

Heavy or persistent bleeding.
Infection or sepsis.
Damage to the cervix.
Scarring of the uterine lining.
Perforation of the uterus.
Damage to other organs.
Reduced ability to conceive in the future.
Significantly increased risk of miscarriage in subsequent pregnancies.
Depression.
Increased risk of suicide.
Death.

Safe? The only "safe" abortion is the one that doesn't happen.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Report This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
Agree with the bill. A life should not be ended due to its continuance being an inconvenience to someone else. The first item our system of governance was chartered to do is to protect life.
Now some may say "it's just a fetus/glob of cells/non-viable being" etc. Said cells have a different DNA than the mother, so it's not like an appendix or something that is a part of her person. And tests have shown that very early it experiences pain. As far as being non-viable, some born very premature have lived. Some may say that those cases required extensive life support. But that can be said of many people who went through surgery or were involved in an accident.
We don't know when its 'life' begins. So absent any clear determination, as a minimum we owe the unborn the benefit of the doubt. At least as much as a convicted killer gets. Was watching a documentary on a serial killer/rapist. Killer when caught gave a full confession. During the confession he said if released he'd certainly kill again. Even led the cops to where he'd dumped the bodies. After conviction, the appeals process took 16 years before he was finally executed. So where are the appeals for the unborn? Who gives them the benefit of the doubt? An innocent unborn should have the same protections that a serial killer receives. Amazed that it took such a dramatic action by one state to do so.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
America is a wonderful place. It is so safe and prosperous, people have the luxury of worrying about other peoples personal choices.

"No one needs a gun," and "no one needs an abortion" are cut from the same privileged ivory towers cloth.

It's simple in both cases, if you don't want one, don't get one. But they should remain legal and accessible to those who do want them. As Para said, this is the best way to regulate them and make sure they are as safe as possible.

No one I know is actually "in favor" of abortion. It is a realistic part of life that people will seek them out.

Should abortion have reasonable regulations? Yes. Should it be banned? No.

There is some irony that people who clamor to ban guns and abortions have similar levels of perceived need for or knowledge of the topic. They've made up their mind that "Only a monster would want that."

As much freedom and as many rights as possible should be kept among the people. This means as few laws as possible, as little government as possible. We have folks on the right who won't stay out of peoples bedrooms and uteri, we have folks on the left who won't stay out of peoples pockets or gun cabinets. Both are the "there ought to be a law" types. That attitude is dangerous. As the pendulum swings from one party to another, these zealots slowly erode the personal freedoms of Americans, gathering it for the political class and administrative state.

On a similar note, how many anti-gun politicians have been caught either simply owning guns, or committing gun crime? How many anti-abortion politicians have secured one for a daughter or mistress? How many wide stances in airport bathrooms?

Guns and abortion are two things that cannot and should not be wholly banned. There are safe and reasonable ways to regulate both. People who believe a law will stop either, much less solve anything, are at best insulated from the world.

Murder shouldn't ever happen. Any kind.

But that will never happen. None of us can anticipate how someone else lives their lives or the choices they may face. Someone elses abortion or firearm use has no affect on me. Though I may disagree with it.

Remember the political fallout from the 1994 AWB? Now today where "gun control" rallies the left but remains an albatross? In fact it may cripple them again in 2020. Unless what passed in Alabama keeps getting pushed. All those people "in the middle" are tiring of the Red and Blue zealots.

Government should have little or no bearing on someones personal life. If you think it should, you open the possibility of someone using government to dictate how you live YOUR life.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Report This Post
Picture of bigmule
posted Hide Post
For the book thumpers and those that are inclined to deny folks social support systems....

Arc you nailed it...

“If people want to ban abortion, they need to be willing to fund with tax dollars the social support programs for the unwanted children. Particularly if they also oppose contraception and sex education....”

I’m still in the camp of, It ain’t your body, it ain’t your story.

Tragic situation for many many Americans in the back waters In Alabama.
The abortion piece is only the hook here. Look at the rest of the services axed by this partisan bullshit.

I sense an uptick in gut punched daughters in Alabama...
stoopid backward political horse shit.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
All those people "in the middle" are tiring of the Red and Blue zealots.
Agree 100%
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
Government should have little or no bearing on someones personal life. If you think it should, you open the possibility of someone using government to dictate how you live YOUR life.
Yes, assuming the government doesn't make others pay for it.
quote:
Originally posted by bigmule: For the book thumpers and those that are inclined to deny folks social support systems....

My recommendation to the holier than crowd...

Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
This debate always gets a bit touchy. I am anti-abortion. I understand that there are some extreme cases such as rape or incest. I get that and understand that need. But that's about it for me.

I get truly flabbergasted at some of the arguments. Pregnancy does not seek up on anyone.

Oral contraceptives are 99.9% effective.

Condoms are 98% effective. Even when you factor in the condom users who don't always use them the effectiveness is 85%.

Oral sex is 100% effective.

It is ridiculous how much responsibility is shrugged off. I never engaged in intercourse when I didn't know that there was responsibility involved.

A young coworker once asked me how old my daughter was. At the time my daughter was four. When I responded, the coworker then asked how long I had been married. I replied that I was happily married for eight years. My coworker got offended and called bullshit. I was confused. After some discourse she finally accepted that I had been married for 4 years before my wife and I had a child. Coworker just couldn't understand it. She had never known anyone who got married BEFORE they had kids. Jeebus.

Like Para said above I get why Alabama passed such a law. The issue is a moral one. All those "rabid fundamentalists" were right back in the day. As morals get stretched and altered to make folks more comfortable with their choices, concessions have to be made. We are now discussing the necessity and acceptability of murder.

Frankly it amazes me how much I hear people praise Darwin when some idiot offs themselves in a stupid manner. The argument that folks are gonna still going to get abortions really doesn't matter to me. They don't have to. It's as simple as that. Put a warning label on coat hangers and let Darwin sort it out. If you want to charge them with murder later so be it. They had choices and they made them.

Pro-Choice advocates are correct in one aspect. The trend has started going down in recent years. The recent numbers (understanding that not all are reported to the CDC) for 2015 as reported to the CDC is ONLY 638,169.

Hey that's only a little over half a million. Hell that's only slightly more than the population of Montenegro.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Report This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
If access to abortion is so critical to women's health and society at large, why can't we make Planned Parenthood (so called) perform them for free?
By the same logic, access to cancer treatment is critical to my health, so why can't we make hospitals provide this care for free?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Morton Grove, Illinois

Kennesaw, Georgia

New York wants to pass laws making it legal to murder children who have left the womb. Alabama counters by taking the opposite extreme.

Morton Grove, Illinois

Kennesaw, Georgia

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
If access to abortion is so critical to women's health and society at large, why can't we make Planned Parenthood (so called) perform them for free?
By the same logic, access to cancer treatment is critical to my health, so why can't we make hospitals provide this care for free?

YES, but those who treat cancer are not portraying themselves as wholly altruistic saviors either. They are in it for the money and everyone knows it. Those who do have altruistic compassion provide services at little to no charge. We don't see that at all in the abortion industry. There is only the money with a facade of altruism.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Morton Grove, Illinois

Kennesaw, Georgia

I didn't get it initially, but then it dawned on me.
What is it about those two towns?

Case Study: Morton Grove, Illinois v. Kennesaw, Georgia

Many advocates of gun rights know of the small town of Kennesaw, Georgia. For those that are not familiar with the city and its recent history, in 1982, the city passed a law that requires each household to own a firearm and ammunition. Exempt from this law were felons, paupers, and those physically or mentally unable to maintain a firearm. The local government passed this law in response to a law passed in 1981 in Morton Grove, Illinois that outlawed the private ownership of handguns. Even though this law is difficult to enforce and was passed primarily as a symbolic measure, it gained worldwide attention.

https://guncontroltruth.wordpr...-v-kennesaw-georgia/

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23943 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Here's an article published 24 minutes ago which says the same:

Sen. Hawley: Restrictive abortion bills are response to 'extremism' of Democrats' policies

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Abortion is a tricky issue. I completely believe that it is being used for the most part to remove an inconvenience from lazy, irresponsible young people’s lives. Perhaps A much smaller fraction are done to destroy the fruits of a rape or when the pregnancy or ensuing birth would jeopardize the life or health of the mother, but there is no way to accurately determine those numbers.

Abortion is something that is almost 100% preventable by several means employed by both party’s in the game. It boils down to laziness, hormones, and a lack of consideration for life and responsibility.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Here's an article published 24 minutes ago which says the same:

Sen. Hawley: Restrictive abortion bills are response to 'extremism' of Democrats' policies

While the reaction is understandable on an emotional level, I'm afraid that staking out such an extreme position will negate our momentum in overcoming the Leftists when we've been gaining ground lately. People fear the Totalitarian Right as much as the Totalitarian Left. The vast majority of Americans simply can't support a government position of forcing a 12-year old rape victim, or a mother carrying a non-viable fetus, to carry it to term and deliver it.

Posts: 113 | Registered: February 15, 2013Report This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
People fear the Totalitarian Right as much as the Totalitarian Left. The vast majority of Americans simply can't support a government position of forcing a 12-year old rape victim, or a mother carrying a non-viable fetus, to carry it to term and deliver it.

Or any child under the age of 14-15 years old, regardless if they were raped.

There is a reason we treat children differently in the legal system.