SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    MAC experts, A question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MAC experts, A question Login/Join 
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted
I have a game that requires a CD in order to play it. I use an external optical drive in order to play it on my MAC book air.

Is here any way to create a virtual drive on the MAC book air and load the disk on it so I can play the game with out using the external drive when I am traveling?

While I have iOS down pat I can barely spell iOX so please use small words. Razz

Thanks

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
https://support.apple.com/guid...mage-dskutl11888/mac

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30658 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Probably not. The copy-protection/anti-piracy code will know the difference between an actual CD/DVD and an image thereof. It may also be the case that the CD has been physically altered in a way that an image cannot duplicate.

It is easy enough to "rip" a CD to a file image, and then mount the image as a file system. Google can find many tutorials to do so using no more than the tools (e.g. the "Disk Utility" app.) that come with macOS. You should also be able to find third-party open source software that eases the burning process.

An alternative approach that might prove more fruitful might be to find a "patch" for the game program that fools it into not checking the CD.

[hr style="border: 3px dashed navy;"]
"You know how I've always wanted to pretend to be an architect!" - George Costanza
Please don't waste your time looking for me on FaceBook, Twitter, or the like.

Posts: 6464 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post