SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    TV Gurus, Need help deciding between these two televisions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TV Gurus, Need help deciding between these two televisions Login/Join 
Picture of lcbjr77
posted
Hello Folks, I know that these two televisions are slightly different animals, I'm up in the air between the Sony XBR55X900E and the LG OLED55B7A
I've done a ton of research on Rtings.com and have been to Best Buy to see both in person.

I have a pretty bright family room during the day (does not ever get really dark even with the shades down during the day due to the room being slightly SW facing)and it can get almost pitch black at night time

Does anybody have first hand experience with either of the two. I'm ready to pull the trigger just wanted some last minute advise

Thanks
Larry

----------------------------------
Walther PPS M2

Posts: 1863 | Location: CT | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One True IcePick
Picture of eyrich
posted Hide Post
I can tell you that for the last 4 years I had been set on getting OLED once the prices came down, figured this year would be it and started researching more. I keep TVs for at least 7 or 8 years and the stories of banding, nonuniform wearing, bad panels and the such have scared me away from OLED for now. I now plan on getting an LCD with LED localized dimming instead.

Posts: 859 | Location: IL | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One member here had an issue with a Sony Xbox and it was replaced twice under warranty. Personally I'm a Samsung guy, my second choice would be lg

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No first-hand experience, but OLED is the better technology. The Sony XBRs are really good, with an great picture.

Both great choices, but I would get an OLED if I could afford it. OLED allows better blacks, for one.

The XBox is a not a Sony product, by the way. That's the PS4.

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SJS
posted Hide Post
CNET.com is a good resource for reviews.

SJS

Posts: 682 | Location: NC | Registered: January 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
OLED has issues with image retention. I'd avoid it if gaming

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
I have been Sony for years and was planning to get another XBR. I started looking at OLED and decided to get the LG OLED65C7P. Picture is great, Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos, HDR10, I am happy I picked it. The Sony you list is not quite to the OLED. Sony OLED XBR65A1E but supposedly they get their screen from LG and it's a grand more. I also picked up the LG BR4K player (that supports all that stuff). Now just need to get Dolby Atmos sound stuff.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lcbjr77
posted Hide Post
Sorry it's been a while but ordered a LG 55" OLED
"OLED55B7", due in on Friday... I bought all the necessary mounts and straps to hide the cable box and Xbox behind it... New mount is also articulating. i cant wait to get this bad boy up on the wall

----------------------------------
Walther PPS M2

Posts: 1863 | Location: CT | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
we have an LG 55" for year and a half now..replaced a Samsung 55". couldn't be happier...wish we would have gotten a 65"...

Posts: 29 | Registered: March 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post