SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Google announces no apps on Google Play involving sales of firearms or certain accessories: how is this stuff not a violation of the 2nd Amendment?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Google announces no apps on Google Play involving sales of firearms or certain accessories: how is this stuff not a violation of the 2nd Amendment? Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted
quote:
Google Play's Updated Developer Policy Bans Apps Used For Selling Guns And Firearms Accessories
Beth Baumann
Google Play's Updated Developer Policy Bans Apps Used For Selling Guns And Firearms Accessories
With hundreds of thousands of applications on the Google Play Store, the tech giant decided to implement a few new rules for app developers.

One prominent change, according to the Developer Policy Center includes banning apps that are designed to mine cryptocurrency:

Cryptocurrencies

We don't allow apps that mine cryptocurrency on devices. We permit apps that remotely manage the mining of cryptocurrency.

The other prominent change bans apps that promote the sale, manufacturing, or modification of firearms, explosives, and ammunition:

Dangerous Products

We don't allow apps that facilitate the sale of explosives, firearms, ammunition, or certain firearms accessories.

Restricted accessories include those that enable a firearm to simulate automatic fire or convert a firearm to automatic fire (e.g. bump stocks, gatling triggers, drop-in auto sears, conversion kits), and magazines or belts carrying more than 30 rounds.
We don't allow apps that provide instructions for the manufacture of explosives, firearms, ammunition, restricted firearm accessories, or other weapons. This includes instructions on how to convert a firearm to automatic, or simulated automatic, firing capabilities.

This change means that small businesses, like mom and pop gun stores, can't use the Google Play Store or Android devices to make any kind of sales. More and more companies are encouraging customers to download cell phone apps to stay in contact and shop with their favorite stores.

It will also be interesting to see what happens to big box store retailers, like Cabela's, Bass Pro and Brownell's, and how their marketing efforts will change.

Link

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
It’s a private organization.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^

Exactly. "Congress shall make no law" does not apply to individuals or company policy.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
Exactly. Not sure how it can be a violation of the 2nd, private companies can do what they want.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

Got it on the first post.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
Reminds my of certain pro football players who claim that they have a 1st Amendment right not to stand (as a freedom of speech right).

A football team is privately owned. 1st Amendment doesn't apply. Amazing how many people don't get that. But then again maybe not.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1487 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Here’s a classic example - you are a devout Catholic and attend Mass everyday. If a representative of another religion showed up and demanded the right to speak during Mass, you wuld throw him out while calling 911. Your actions would not violate his 1A rights as his action occurred on private property. Google’s actions simply tell you who or what is their corporate culture. You can patronize them or not knowing what you now know.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had this same argument with somebody about a Facebook post that was removed by an Admin . They could not understand that freedom of speech did not apply . Wouldn't hear
it .

Posts: 3971 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Yes. The bill of rights, generally, only protects you against government interference.

I can violate your rights in any way I can.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
guess they will be taking down the amazon app?

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Are there really a lot of apps that tell you how to make explosives? Auto sears? Convert guns to full auto?

But there goes my plan to develop an app to allow you to select and brew the best homemade explosive for any given task. How many times have you said to yourself, "Self, I sure wish I knew the best thing to blow this safe, and how could I make it?"

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Yes. The bill of rights, generally, only protects you against government interference.

Dat Thirteenth Amendment, tho. . .

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
quote:

Ain't in the traditional bill of rights. Wink

But yes, it bans all slavery.

posted Hide Post
So they're starting with magazines greater than 30 rounds?

Posts: 1345 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Auto sears?

https://www.thefirearmblog.com...-full-auto/#comments

There are some Chinesium dealers that sell these type of things over apps, alongside counterfeit clothing and toxic cosmetics.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
quote:

Ain't in the traditional bill of rights. Wink

But yes, it bans all slavery.
How about domination? Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29608 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
It will also be interesting to see what happens to big box store retailers, like Cabela's, Bass Pro and Brownell's, and how their marketing efforts will change.

Does anybody use any of those company apps? Do they offer coupons or, discount codes?

Just thinking, I don't know any firearm owners that would utilize a smart device for a firearm transaction?

Posts: 14574 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I check the gun.deals app daily.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:

I love when you talk dirty.

From a legal standpoint, of course.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Except it is a private organization with a monopoly. Maybe its time they find out about the History of Bell labs.

Posts: 1038 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post