SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Students suspended for going to gun range.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Students suspended for going to gun range. Login/Join 
Picture of rtquig
posted
It makes me angry to admit this is the town I live in and worked in this high school for 2 years.
This is the southern part of New Jersey that is known for it's great hunting and fishing spots. Our town sits between the Barnegat Bay and a 1 million acre Pineland protected forest. It is a Republican dominated county. During opening day of deer season, you can see how many students are not in school and out hunting.

https://patch.com/new-jersey/l...allowed-return-class

LACEY TOWNSHIP, NJ - The Lacey Township School District's suspension of two high school students because they posted pictures of themselves online posing with guns at a private rifle range violates both the First and Second Amendments, says the attorney representing a New Jersey gun organization association.
Suspending the two boys because they posted the picture - which was taken off school grounds and unrelated to school activities on Snapchat - was a "very serious violation" of their rights, said attorney Daniel L. Schmutter.
And the organization - the Association of New Jersey Rifle and Pistol Clubs - is prepared to sue the district if the suspensions are not rescinded and the district apologizes to the students and their families, he said in a recent letter to Superintendent Craig Wigley and Principal Gregory Brandis.
"We hope they will do the right thing," Schmutter said.
The boys have been in school this past week, but have not been allowed in class. They are both straight-A students who take some advanced placement courses, he said.

"These are top-quality kids," Schumuter said. "It's astonishing what they have done to these kids."
The Lacey school district follows the Safe Schools Initiative, the Zero Tolerance for Guns Act and the district's own zero-tolerance policy for any students who have weapons in their possession, on or off school grounds.
The possible penalties include long-term suspension, evaluation by the high school Child Study Team and possibly a recommendation to the Board of Education for an one-year suspension, the letter states.
When asked about recent reports on Facebook about the students' suspension, Superintendent Craig Wigley said social media reports were untrue and that he didn't comment on student matter

Living the Dream

Posts: 4014 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Facebook Snapchat is de debil.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
That's quite infuriating. I hope those kids own those commies in court.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WTF. What right does a school have to dictate what you do off school property?

I hope they pay dearly. ASSWIPES!!!

Here in good old WNY (well better than the southern end) Our school still has a trap club Razz Cool

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:

Very good. How did you find the letter? I was only able to find a source today of what I had heard about a week ago. Thanks for the information.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4014 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Time to make these commies pay. Mad

Q

Posts: 26335 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
Please someone, do me a big favor and lock me and the super in a room for 5-10 minutes!

Please?

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wreckdiver:

Here in good old WNY (well better than the southern end) Our school still has a trap club Razz Cool

Sportsmens Club on Killian Rd, Tonawanda?

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
NJ Gun Clubs Threaten Lawsuit Over Lacy Township Students’ Gun Range Photos

Ammoland Inc. Posted on March 15, 2018 by Ammoland
Right to keep and bear arms
Two students at Lacey Township High-school, NJ were suspended for posting a picture of themselves shooting guns at a private gun range with the caption “fun day at the range”.
Lacey Township NJ – -(Ammoland.com)- Two students at Lacey Township High-school, NJ were suspended for posting a picture of themselves shooting guns at a private gun range with the caption “fun day at the range“. The school's zero tolerance policy says that students cannot be in possession of weapons at any time, whether on or off campus.

Association of New Jersey Rifle and Pistol Clubs today demanded in a lawyer letter that the Lacey Township School District immediately rescind disciplinary actions taken against several students for posting social media photos of themselves near firearms at a target range.

Lacy NJ High School Students Suspended over Gun Range Photos
Lacy NJ High School Students Suspended over Gun Range Photos
Lacey Township School Student Handbook
Lacey Township School Student Handbook
The student handbook in that district provides that students are subject to suspension if they are “reported to be in possession of a weapon of any type for any reason or purpose WHETHER ON OR OFF SCHOOL GROUNDS during the academic year.”

Association of New Jersey Rifle and Pistol Clubs attorney Dan Schmutter penned the lawyer letter, which also demands that the school district rescind its unconstitutional policy, clear the records of the students disciplined, and apologize to the students and their families.

ANJRPC Demand Letter to Lacey NJ Schools Regarding Suspension Of Students with Range Photos.

“Association of New Jersey Rifle and Pistol Clubs is prepared to sue if the school district refuses to do the right thing,” said ANJRPC Executive Director Scott Bach. “Schools do not have the authority to chill the First or Second Amendment rights of their students off of school grounds, and this blatant infringement of constitutional rights will not be tolerated.”

The Lacey Township School District did not reply to our request for comments.

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/...udents-range-photos/

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8342 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Facebook Snapchat is de debil.

No, they're not. And these kids posting their enjoyment of the shooting sports is a Good Thing.

You can ignore the current trends in social media if you like. Whine about them and denigrate them to your heart's content. That doesn't make them any the less omnipresent and influential.

Put another way: You can let them be dominated by the left's narrative, or you can use them to inform the world the left's narrative is not reality.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
... any student who is reported to be in possession of a weapon of any type for any reason or purpose whether on or off school grounds ....

So every kid who takes a cooking class should be suspended too!
NO KNIVES FOR YOU!

Posts: 22894 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Some background. I know the name Lacey sounds a little funny, but here is where the name comes from.

The township was named for Revolutionary War brigadier general John Lacey, who developed Ferrago Forge in 1809.

Living the Dream

Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:

Maybe someone should also contact the ACLU? That could make for strange bedfellows..........

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:

When I was in high school, back in the early '50s, the school gave us a week off (with parental request) to go big game hunting! And it was not unusual to see long guns hung in the back window of pickup trucks, either!

Seriously, I too hope these kids end up with so much law suit money that they, or the next 5 generations of their kids never have to do a lick of work!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25641 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
... any student who is reported to be in possession of a weapon of any type for any reason or purpose whether on or off school grounds ....

NO KNIVES FOR YOU!

I was Head Trustee at my church when we started a preschool. As I read federal and Florida laws, using knives anywhere on the property would be illegal unless specifically allowed by the school board. Stupid laws.

Posts: 10908 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Their attorney is going to have some serious fun! How can a school system dictate it's students behavior off school property? Fucking Hilary "It takes a village" shit!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Careful What You Wish For...
Picture of Monk
posted Hide Post
Would love to see Trump begin to get involved in crap like this. Send agents to the school and compel by force the reinstatement of the students.

Georgeair: "...looking around my house this morning, it's not easily defended for long by two people in the event of real anarchy. The entryways might be slick for the latecomers though...."

Posts: 11865 | Location: Hoisting the colors in a strange land | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
Before I read the whole thing I was under the impression that they had skipped school to go to the range in which case I would have sided with the school. Nope... no such justification. These folks done stepped on their collective dicks.

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:

NO KNIVES FOR YOU!

I was Head Trustee at my church when we started a preschool. As I read federal and Florida laws, using knives anywhere on the property would be illegal unless specifically allowed by the school board. Stupid laws.

What, no 'Home Ec' course (Home Economics) in FL schools? Of course, this class now titled using the more PC & less Sexist course description of FACS - 'Family And Consumer Science'. Roll Eyes

Obviously not a Pre-School subject, but seriously...

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8865 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post