SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A word to the wise is sufficient
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A word to the wise is sufficient Login/Join 
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted
When you decide to drive 25 mins out to the desert to shoot, be sure to bring the right gun.

Back story: I've been re-insulating my shop for the past two weeks. It is a messy job. I hate it. Whoever insulated it before, did not know what he was doing or......did not care enough to do it right. Anyway, it has been a sucky couple of weeks so today I decided I needed some west and wewaxation. I have a Walther P99 in .40 that I haven't shot in a couple of years and a whole pile of .40 ammo aging in my loading room. Screwit, I'm going shooting. I dig out the gun from the way back of the safe, visually check to be sure I have the right gun, throw it in the range bag with a couple hunnid rounds of .40 and off I go, itchy forearms and all.

When I get out there I am greeted with the familiar site of my favorite spot with a perfect backdrop of a desert valley. Nice day. Upper 40s temp. I'm stoked. I load up the mag, Insert it in the gun and walk to my imaginary firing line. Go to chamber a round and.......no go. The round is tipped in the chamber with the slide half open. What the.....? Try again. No go. Same, same.

Turns out I had the 9mm P99. Huh. You guys might not know this but .40 will not chamber in a 9mm. Whodathunkit? I have two P99s olive drab. They are identical except the 9mm has a slightly scalloped slide at the muzzle. I thought I check that. At a glance in the safe it looked not scalloped. Out in daylight.....scalloped. Dang. Double dang. I have ammo and the wrong gun. or... gun and the wrong ammo.

Since I never go shooting without a carry weapon too. I had one magazine of .45 in an HK USP .45 compact. Normally I would reserve that for actual self defense but today I dumped the mag re-holstered the weapon, jumped in the truck and drove home.....to continue insulating.

Double dang.
Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29678 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
yep....I have done that. Got the S&W M48 and ammo but forgot that I had switched out to the 22 LR cylinder and hadn't changed back. Mad

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Return home with no carry protection?

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope he made it.

Posts: 2475 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Has anybody heard from him?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30633 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Only 25 minutes out... does not sound so bad....

I dropped off my dog last month at the kennel (30minutes of mostly in town driving) and was planning to swing over to the gun club on the way home.... had my new Mk-25 packed with mags and ammo... headed to the club and then realized I had forgotten the electric 'fob' card to get the gate to open,.....
I actually have a spare gun with mags and ammo in my range bag for when I bring the wrong gun, magazines or ammo I can at least still have something to shoot. But it don't matter if I can't get in the gate... dang it!

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
It's much worse when you go to a competition and find out that is exactly what you did. Mad

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4580 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I drove 130 miles to a shoot in order to play with my BREN gun. Along with the weapon, I brought 2000 rounds of British .303 ammo in sealed wooden crates and a BREN tripod so I could sit on my ass while shooting. After unloading all this stuff, I discovered I failed to bring any magazines. And, since a BREN fires from an open bolt I couldn't even fire it in single fire mode. Damn!

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2190 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Perhaps that's part of the reason why I always keep a minimum of 100 rounds of ammo per caliber of each gun that I own in my Jeep. Don't want to get caught out in the desert with the wrong ammo or wrong gun!

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30398 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
Only 25 minutes out... does not sound so bad....

I dropped off my dog last month at the kennel (30minutes of mostly in town driving) and was planning to swing over to the gun club on the way home.... had my new Mk-25 packed with mags and ammo... headed to the club and then realized I had forgotten the electric 'fob' card to get the gate to open,.....
I actually have a spare gun with mags and ammo in my range bag for when I bring the wrong gun, magazines or ammo I can at least still have something to shoot. But it don't matter if I can't get in the gate... dang it!

been there, done that on the fob thing,
only it was an hour and 15min drive,

also made a trip with the fob, with the intent of practicing my rapid sitting and rapid prone,

only forget the mags, and ammo,

picked up the wrong bag,,,,,,

fortunately had another firearm and ammo with me to shoot

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MG34_Dan:
A few years ago I drove 130 miles to a shoot in order to play with my BREN gun. Along with the weapon, I brought 2000 rounds of British .303 ammo in sealed wooden crates and a BREN tripod so I could sit on my ass while shooting. After unloading all this stuff, I discovered I failed to bring any magazines. And, since a BREN fires from an open bolt I couldn't even fire it in single fire mode. Damn!

oh, man. That sucked. 130 miles.

I went to the range, set up all my stuff. Didn't see any magazines. Packed it back up to drive home to get the magazine. Part way home, I stopped by the side of the road to recheck. Found the magazines in the bag.

Fortunately, I wasn't as far as 130 miles. more like 2 miles.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19637 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
BTDT. Drove an hour across town once to a highpower match, only to discover that I'd left the handstop for my rifle at home.

Posts: 7260 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MG34_Dan:

That reminds me of the time I hyped the Jr DFs about going shooting with me if they behaved themselves all week. They did so I loaded them and their 10/22s up in the truck and out to the desert we went. They were so excited and sung my praises all the way out. When we unpacked the stuff I realized I had forgotten the mags. All of them. They were not so happy with me on the way home even though I took them to the DQ. I was in the dog house until the next Saturday trip out. For years after they would remind me to take the mags. Even now on occasion one of them will gouge me with a reminder when we go shooting. I hang my head and they chuckle. Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29678 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I have done similar so many times....Now I lay it all out on the floor before I go , so I know I have everything I may need.

Years back I started leaving a .30 can in the vehicle too with a few boxes of .22 LR, 9mm, .38 spcl , .45 acp, etc.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^ Would if I could, but we are subject to random vehicle searches at my employer and even the ammo would likely be enough to get me canned. Not that I would mind that so much some days...

I have a range bag that is stupid heavy as it has about 100-150 rounds of the 3 common pistol calibers I shoot and 2 bricks of 22, a 228 Franken gun and a 22 in it all the time, as well as 2 mags for Glock, 1911, Beretta, Sig and 22 1911. For those "DAMN IT" moments when I forget to pack the correct ammo, gun, mags, etc. I can hopefully salvage the range trip from something in that bag.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
I did the reverse. I’ve got a P226 in .22lr and a 9mm. Grabbed the 9mm with the .22lr mags and a couple of boxes of CCI mini mags. The mag will go in, but the firing pin just ejects the whole .22 round out the barrel. oops!

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
My Fiancée asks me every time we leave to go shooting if I brought my gun. She has reason to ask...

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20803 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
I did the reverse. I’ve got a P226 in .22lr and a 9mm. Grabbed the 9mm with the .22lr mags and a couple of boxes of CCI mini mags. The mag will go in, but the firing pin just ejects the whole .22 round out the barrel. oops!

That’s actually probably pretty funny to see, as long a story it isn’t your gun.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have certainly brought the wrong ammo, and forgotten magazines. I also forgot my badge one day to get into the range. The maintenance guy let me in, but that presented a problem when he left the range and I needed the badge to open the gate. I finally found someone to let me out. Forgotten the staple gun, targets etc. I am glad I am not the only one who forgets stuff.

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A fellow at local pistol range brought .40 ammo to shoot in his 1911 .45ACP. After firing off a few rounds, he complained to us about the ammo. said the ejected case looked weird.

Then he looked at the casing head stamp.

Oops..

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post