This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/3300074074

May 22, 2020, 11:15 AM
rduckwor
Apple sneaks Covid tracking app into latest update
Well, I can live with out this update.

https://www.newsbusters.org/bl...gLtcaaHmq0NVwKwWBplg

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.
May 22, 2020, 11:24 AM
ensigmatic
"Sneaks?" It clearly notes, in the update notification, they've included an "Exposure Notification API to support Covid-19 contact tracing apps from public health authorities."

Note: An API, not actual tracking.

I have mixed feelings about this.

Android will be doing the same: iPhone And Android App For COVID-19 Contact Tracing Will Be Strictly Opt-In Only

Note: Strictly Opt-In Only

For now, anyway

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
May 22, 2020, 11:39 AM
V-Tail
It’s interesting that the author of the article in Ensigmatic’s link states that nearly one third (29% per the pie chart) view this tracking favorably.

The same author fails to mention that 71% are not in favor.

Biased reporting?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
May 22, 2020, 11:52 AM
sns3guppy
The Apple/Google feature uses bluetooth. If that's not in use, then it's irrelevant. The feature is available to various contact tracing applications that users would have to install on their phone; applications provided by states or nations (various US States are considering using them, but cannot compel a phone owner to put the application on their phone, any more than they can compel someone to own a phone).

The concept is that where many applications have failed due to interface between android and apple IOS systems, the feature offered by Apple/Google will use bluetooth from both devices to eliminate those problems.

What it does do: reports to the phone user that he or she has been in proximity of someone who may be a carrier.

What it does not do: reports to the government or an agency/company/group other than the phone owner/user.

Don't want it? Turn off blue tooth. Don't install a contact tracing application.

I have been in several countries recently in which installation of such software on one's phone is mandatory as a condition of entry; refusal means refusal to enter the country (not an option for me), and mandator quarantine in what amounts to a COVID gulag. Also not an option for me.

https://covid19-static.cdn-app...fication-FAQv1.1.pdf

quote:
4. What have Apple and Google announced as a technology solution and how does it work?

On April 10, 2020, Google and Apple announced a two-phase exposure notification solution that uses Bluetooth technology on mobile devices to aid in contact tracing efforts.

Both phases of the solution harness the power of Bluetooth technology to aid in exposure notification. Once enabled, users’ devices will regularly send out a beacon via Bluetooth that includes a random Bluetooth identifier — basically, a string of random numbers that aren’t tied to a user's identity and change every 10-20 minutes for additional protection. Other phones will be listening for these beacons and broadcasting theirs as well. When each phone receives another beacon, it will record and securely store that beacon on the device.

At least once per day, the system will download a list of the keys for the beacons that have been verified as belonging to people confirmed as positive for COVID-19. Each device will check the list of beacons it has recorded against the list downloaded from the server. If there is a match between the beacons stored on the device and the positive diagnosis list, the user may be notified and advised on steps to take next.
To power this solution in the first phase, both companies will release application programming interfaces (APIs) that allow contact tracing apps from public health authorities to work across Android and iOS devices, while maintaining user privacy. These apps from public health authorities will be available for users to download via their respective app stores. Once the app is launched, the user will then need to consent to the terms and conditions before the program is active. The companies plan to make these APIs available in May.
In the second phase, available in the coming months, this capability will be introduced at the operating system level to help ensure broad adoption, which is vital to the success of contact tracing. After the operating system update is installed and the user has opted in, the system will send out and listen for the Bluetooth beacons as in the first phase, but without requiring an app to be installed. If a match is detected the user will be notified, and if the user has not already downloaded an official public health authority app they will be prompted to download an official app and advised on next steps. Only public health authorities will have access to this technology and their apps must meet specific criteria around privacy, security, and data control.

If at some point a user is positively diagnosed with COVID-19, he or she can work with the health authority to report that diagnosis within the app, and with their consent their beacons will then added to the positive diagnosis list. User identity will not be shared with other users, Apple and Google as part of this process.

Applications must first be user-installed, and can only get information if the user inputs it, and requires user consent.

quote:
5. How will the system protect user privacy and security?

Google and Apple put user privacy at the forefront of this exposure notification technology’s design and have established strict guidelines to ensure that privacy is safeguarded:

• Each user will have to make an explicit choice to turn on the technology. It can also be turned off by the user at any time.

Exposure Notification - Frequently Asked Questions Information subject to copyright. All rights reserved.
• This system does not collect location data from your device, and does not share the identities of other users to each other, Google or Apple. The user controls all data they want to share, and the decision to share it.

• Random Bluetooth identifiers rotate every 10-20 minutes, to help prevent tracking.

• Exposure notification is only done on device and under the user's control. In addition people who test positive are not identified by the system to other users, or to Apple or Google.

• The system is only used for contact tracing by public health authorities apps.

• Google and Apple will disable the exposure notification system on a regional basis when it is no longer needed.

a. Can I turn it off?

Yes. The choice to use this technology rests with the user, and he or she can turn it off at any time by uninstalling the contact tracing application or turning off exposure notification in Settings.

If one elects to use it, and if one elects to install and use the separate, independent application, the only way that application will have data showing the user to be positive, is if the user enters it himself or herself and voluntarily shares it.

I don't use blue tooth, and I don't do applications. I have an iPhone 11, with all the SIRI, analytic, advertising, position tracking, and other features shut off. I don't do social media. I don't have any social media accounts. I don't do any information sharing. The only way this feature will impact me or my phone is if I install an application and grant consent, neither of which will happen.
May 22, 2020, 11:56 AM
stoic-one
quote:
I have been in several countries recently in which installation of such software on one's phone is mandatory as a condition of entry; refusal means refusal to enter the country (not an option for me), and mandator quarantine in what amounts to a COVID gulag. Also not an option for me.

So you can install the app when you enter, then uninstall it once you clear customs? Razz

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/
May 22, 2020, 12:03 PM
PorterN
I agree that “sneak” is hardly the adjective to describe this. Its been in the news for weeks that this would be coming to apple and android as a strictly opt-in feature. I know a lot of companies are sucking the Covid teet hard for government money and govt/corp overreach. Also, Apple, im sure, already tracks just about everything i do with my phone, but Apple and the FBI are also at-odds still over the unlocking of citizen phones, so theres a weird schism there.
Regardless, however, and ultimately, as far as thIs “tracker” goes, its been well publicized and isnt just a another one of those grey area policies hidden in the term and conditions.

May 22, 2020, 12:03 PM
sns3guppy
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:

So you can install the app when you enter, then uninstall it once you clear customs? Razz

If you don't like your job, and you prefer imprisonment, yes.
May 22, 2020, 12:07 PM
ensigmatic
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
quote:

Like they didn't think of that Wink My guess is they'll check you on the way out.

I run Bluetooth full-time, as well as location services, and share analytics with Apple and app makers. IOW: All the stuff that scares the tin-foil-hat-wearing crowd Big Grin

I'm not concerned, per se, but I am a bit wary of where this could (?) lead.

I'm more concerned any particular update could break stuff. My phone, watch, and tablet are all working fine. I'd like to keep them working fine.

Apple's track record with updates hasn't been great, lately.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
May 22, 2020, 12:17 PM
snoris
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
It’s interesting that the author of the article in Ensigmatic’s link states that nearly one third (29% per the pie chart) view this tracking favorably.

The same author fails to mention that 71% are not in favor.

Biased reporting?

It’s like the old joke about the auto race between an American car and a Soviet car and the U.S. car won.

The next day, the Soviet news agency Tass reported that the Soviet car finished second, and the American car came in next-to-last.
May 22, 2020, 12:28 PM
cparktd
Big nothing burger. If this bothers you your tin foil hat may be too tight Big Grin

Apple and Google together on this, coming to android as well.

It is OPT-IN... not mandatory. You will have to download/install a separate 3rd party app to even use, if desired.

Not enough participation will mean this is a complete failure, just another virtue signaling exercise IMO.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.
May 22, 2020, 12:32 PM
egregore
quote:
contact tracing

?
May 22, 2020, 12:42 PM
Aglifter
At least from what I read, this was done in the least intrusive way possible.

I honestly think Apple is concerned about where this could go - google’s core business is evil, so...

This doesn’t seem worth it for Covid - but, sooner or later, influenza will make it out of China, again - or, some idiot will let Ebola out - Obama damn near did his best to do so.

Having something like this, ready to go, could be very useful.
May 22, 2020, 12:46 PM
cparktd
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:

Having something like this, ready to go, could be very useful.

I agree as long as it remains 100% opt-in... free choice.

May 22, 2020, 12:46 PM
kimber1911
Thinking I can live without a “smart” phone.

What are the best dumb options?

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021
May 22, 2020, 01:29 PM
nhracecraft
Generally, it's been my experience that nearly all issues w/ most any 'device' (phones, PC's, etc) are associated w/ unnecessary 'updates' and the unanticipated problems they cause to devices that were working just fine until they weren't. Roll Eyes

Unless there's some MAJOR Security Issue that's resolved, or the update either contains some MUST Have Feature that I cannot live without, or resolves an issue I'm currently having with the device, it doesn't NEED the update!

Simply stated, IMO if it doesn't NEED the update, It doesn't GET the update! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!
May 22, 2020, 01:37 PM
HRK
quote:
Don't want it? Turn off blue tooth

Which they know that nobody will do, or remember to keep turned off since it's not a simple switch like turning off sound.

Lots of interesting arguments from gun owners
along the lines, "if you aren't doing something wrong you shouldn't worry about being monitored"

JMO it's none of your fucking business if I"m near you for any reason, none, zero. Just as it's none of my business if you're near me, nor should it be recorded, transmitted to anyone.

Yes I know they can track the phones now, but this is tracing contacts, and it's a dangerous step...

If you think it's acceptable, and that it's problematic the solution is simple. Stay home, inside, in your bubble and cower.

May 22, 2020, 01:50 PM
2012BOSS302
Anybody that downloads a contact tracking app, fills it out and turns it on has to be a fucking moron.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.
May 22, 2020, 02:10 PM
cparktd
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:

Which they know that nobody will do, or remember to keep turned off since it's not a simple switch like turning off sound.

Again guys... Don't want it... don't download and install a 3rd party tracking app. Apple and Google are not including the tracking with the update. They are simply making it possible *if you actively choose to add it to your phone* You don't have to turn off bluetooth to avoid it.

As far as updates go... I do them always for the improved security and features. We were a 4 iPhone family going back to 2008, now 7 iPhones and 3 iPads, and have always updated ASAP with never a single issue due to an update.

May 22, 2020, 02:25 PM
Shaql
So, I'm still trying to understand, how does the phone know someone has/had the virus in the first place?

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.
May 22, 2020, 02:32 PM
jljones
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:

Lots of interesting arguments from gun owners
along the lines, "if you aren't doing something wrong you shouldn't worry about being monitored"

JMO it's none of your fucking business if I"m near you for any reason, none, zero. Just as it's none of my business if you're near me, nor should it be recorded, transmitted to anyone.

Yes I know they can track the phones now, but this is tracing contacts, and it's a dangerous step...

If you think it's acceptable, and that it's problematic the solution is simple. Stay home, inside, in your bubble and cower.

Indeed. Google and Apple never lie to us, Right?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"