SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    AC repair and home humidifier quote question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AC repair and home humidifier quote question Login/Join 
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted
So our downstairs AC needs a new control board for the variable fan in the attic. The repair guy came in and his quote was $830 for a new one and $350 to repair the existing board. The unit is a 10 year old lenox 4 ton unit, anyone replace one of these before...price seems high as the motors are $350 online and it takes about 30 minutes to install...hell I could do it myself.

I also asked for a quote for a home humidifier and they quoted me $5k for a steam humidifier, it would require replacing the plinth and running AC and plumbing a water line. Again has anyone had one of these installed? Is $5k out of line?

Thanks ahead of time.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the humidifier, is that really $5k as in $5,000.00, or did you really mean $500 as in five hundred?

If you're looking for a basic April Aire humidifier, $500 - $600 would be ballpark.

I cannot imagine anyone really quoting you $5,000.00 for a humidifier.

Posts: 944 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Yup 5000, he said a drip humidifier would not work well due to the square footage ~3400sqft. And the steam one requires a new 240v line and a new water line...as well as a new plinth as the existing us fiberglass lined.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:

I also asked for a quote for a home humidifier and they quoted me $5k for a steam humidifier, it would require replacing the plinth and running AC and plumbing a water line. Again has anyone had one of these installed? Is $5k out of line?

Thanks ahead of time.

Holy crap!

I got a quote for a whole home humidifier last year and I don't think it was even 400-500 bucks.

When we got our furnace and AC replaced in July, I had them put an Aprilaire unit on, runs off cold water with a wick. House is 2400 sq feet.

This guy is trying to screw you for sure.

Posts: 33749 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
That's what I am thinking...

Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
I can't believe you need a humidifier in Dallas Texas.

Just open the window for about 30 minutes!:-))

Seriously though, that seems very high.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
yup in the winter the house gets around 25% which makes the misses and the boy sick....electric heat sucks

Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
I used to live in Dallas and know of what you speak. I am feeling your pain, somewhat in reverse.

I am about to spend $8K on an encapsulation system and DE-Humidifiers in my stinking crawlspace, just to keep my wood floors from cupping every year.

I had already , some years ago, installed a drainage and five sump pumps system, which controlled the moisture content in the structure, but did not prevent my ductwork from sweating and that being absorbed by the wood decking. 86% humidity under there right now.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post