SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hearing Impaired “Clear Captions” Phone
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hearing Impaired “Clear Captions” Phone Login/Join 
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted
I just watched a commercial on TV for the clear captions phone and service. Apparently if you are hearing impaired there is a federal program that would get you this phone and service for free.

As someone is talking to you the verbal message is transferred into text on a small screen next to the phone.

Sigmonkey and others might appreciate this if you don’t already have such a service.

Here is a picture I took of my paused TV.

Posts: 3735 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
Here is the FCC doc on this program. Basically there is a person that acts as interpreter and types the message to be displayed on the screen.

https://www.fcc.gov/sites/defa...elephone_service.pdf

Speech to text has advanced dramatically in the past few years and there are some other options that will be available in the near future.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 721 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vtail will be on top of this. I am skeptical of any company that tells me the government will pay for it.
I wonder if Joe Namath knows about this FREE program. Maybe Tom Selleck will be along shortly.

Sorry I am somewhat jaded due to all the Reverse Mortgage ads and Medicare scams for free DME.

Posts: 17267 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Sounds" good. These types of services are a legitimate use of government resources, especially those that help re-integrate people into the community. I have found texting to be a blessing, but do have difficulty when answering land lines. I don't make outgoing calls on anything but my cell, cause it's blu-toothed to my cell and broadcasts directing into my ears.

Posts: 17147 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

Vtail will be on top of this. I am skeptical of any company that tells me the government will pay for it.
Actually, there is a solution that I use, and the government (Florida state government, which really means the tax payers) does pay for it. Doesn't cost me a cent. There are two restrictions:
  1. It works for me for outgoing calls only. I can not receive calls this way.

2. In order to place a call, I need to be at a computer with internet access. I use the Florida Relay System -- I connect to a relay operator, type back and forth with the operator, operator speaks to whomever I am calling and types the responses to me. It generally works, but I do not use it for sensitive information. Capital One really pisses me off, they have phone number for customer service but no chat or email, so it is either phone, which is not good if I have to give me credit card number, or write a letter to them.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30719 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I am skeptical of any company that tells me the government will pay for it.

From what I understand, it is funded via the “Federal Universal Service Charge” collected on each and every phone bill every month. Check your phone billing statement under “Fees & Surcharges”.

https://clearcaptions.com/how-it-works/#section-1

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
I just watched a commercial on TV for the clear captions phone and service. Apparently if you are hearing impaired there is a federal program that would get you this phone and service for free.

As someone is talking to you the verbal message is transferred into text on a small screen next to the phone.

Not gonna repeat the picture, it's in the first post of this thread, but it's kind of interesting that these schmucks are touting a phone for hearing impaired, and do not offer a contact method that uses written communication. The only contact information that I see in the photo is a phone number, which is not all that useful to their target audience -- people (like me) who are hearing impaired and have difficulty with a telephone.

No email address. No website address. No postal address. Fucken idiots.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30719 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I find it far easier to just communicate with Vtail via smoke signals. <humor> Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What tribe does Vtail belong to?

You need this guy for the commercial.

Posts: 17267 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

Not gonna repeat the picture, it's in the first post of this thread, but it's kind of interesting that these schmucks are touting a phone for hearing impaired, and do not offer a contact method that uses written communication. The only contact information that I see in the photo is a phone number, which is not all that useful to their target audience -- people (like me) who are hearing impaired and have difficulty with a telephone.

No email address. No website address. No postal address. Fucken idiots.

Vtail, that could have been my fault. I don't remember if they listed any other forms of communication and paused my tv to get at least one pic that I could post to possibly help my fellow invisible friends.

I found their website and they offer email, website, live chat, or phone calls. It also looks like they have a mobile phone app that can be used for their program.

Here is their website and a snip I took of the methods of communication.

https://clearcaptions.com/

Posts: 3735 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My dad has used CaptionCall, presumably a similar service. It is free for those with a qualifying need.

Given that my dad is now 90, confined to his assisted-living unit, and increasingly affected by dementia, that caption phone has been a blessing for us to be able to still talk with him.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don't remember if they listed any other forms of communication and paused my tv to get at least one pic that I could post to possibly help my fellow invisible friends.

I found their website and they offer email, website, live chat, or phone calls. It also looks like they have a mobile phone app that can be used for their program.

Here is their website and a snip I took of the methods of communication.

https://clearcaptions.com/
Ah, that's more better, thank you. Wink

Just a sore spot with me, like the thingies I get in the mail offering consultations for hearing aids, and the ONLY contact information is a phone number. No website, no email, not even a postal address, just a phone number. If I need hearing aids, why would these morons think I could use a phone? Total imbeciles.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Good info here. I'll be looking into this for sure.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5049 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post