SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    School me on shingles
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

School me on shingles Login/Join 
Just mobilize it
posted
So we had a tornado come through and pretty much get a portion of my neighborhood and enough to take a bunch of shingles off my roof, therefore, I need a new roof and I am wondering which shingles are the best. My roofer says he uses Certainteed 50 year warranty shingles and has never had a problem with them in 12 years. I have read mixed reviews online so I'm wondering how they compare to other brands. Does anyone have any experience with this brand or others to compare?

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I had an investment property reroofed last year and went with CertainTeed. They were pushing Landmark, and the next one up (Landmark Pro) was about 5% heavier per square, 50% longer algae resistant warranty, better warranty, etc. I inquired about it an it was only about 3% more so I went for it.

The 50 year ones were more than double.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
GAF, use a Master Elite installer, limited Lifetime warranty that is transferrable. They have the entire roofing system covered. You want a Class H shingle that meets ASTM D7158 and at least Class D per ASTM D3161.

National Roofing Contractors Association...good reference material.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jcsabolt2,

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3623 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
We chose the CertainTeed Grand Manor shingles with a 100 year limited warranty 22 years ago, in part for the durability, and in part for the slate like appearance. We've had no problems other than a few small algae streaks in the shady areas. They also have a 15 year wind warranty upgradable to 130 mph, FWIW. Most people say the shingle you buy should be linked to how long you'll be in the home.

Link

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
All dimensional shingles are fantastic compared to the three tabs of yesteryear. Getting a good install is more important than the brand, IMO. Are you getting nails in the nail line, proper amount of nails per local code, right nail length, proper underlayment, and so on. Get any of those wrong and the warranty from the mfg is void.

Having said that, I sure like GAF. Elk was purchased by GAF awhile ago. Elk made a great shingle.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8197 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I opened the thread to say I'd had them once and they were painful, but I see I misread the topic again.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
The high end architecturals of both GAF and CertainTeed are both very good. Personally, I had GAF Timberline put on my last house and they were fantastic.

Like said above, get a master installer and it doubles your warranty period, I think.

And make sure they price good peel and stick flashing in your valleys. Grace Ice and Water Shield is the most common. If you live in the South, get the High Temperature variant. If you can get metal great, but it is usually cost prohibitive.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the Certainteed brand are good enough thanks for the info guys!

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
You don't list location, which is relevant.

For example in N TX 50 years is a pipe dream. 10 is a near miracle before the repeated hail storms getcha!

I'm roofing my 11 year old home this week and just going back with what was there from builder. A high end builder, granted.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I thought you meant the virus. You don't want it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcsabolt2:
GAF, use a Master Elite installer, limited Lifetime warranty that is transferrable. They have the entire roofing system covered. You want a Class H shingle that meets ASTM D7158 and at least Class D per ASTM D3161.

National Roofing Contractors Association...good reference material.

This is what we use on our custom homes here at Smith Mt. Lake.

keep in mind that NO shingle will survive a tornado...

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post