SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Potica Bread recipe
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Potica Bread recipe Login/Join 
Picture of SIG 229R
posted
Just wondering if anyone has a good recipe for Cinnamon Potica bread. I have never had it and thought I might like to try it for Christmas.

I understand there are several different kinds but thought the Cinnamon would be good to try for Christmas.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I do a lot of breads but hadn't heard of that one, had to look it up. Looks to be a pretty standard yeasted sweet dough, not too hard to work with. Found this well documented article that should walk you through it pretty easily.
http://www.browniebites.net/po...retty-and-delicious/

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
229R, you've got mail. I'm sending the recipe Mrs. Sigmund uses.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Do you mean povitica?

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
Do you mean povitica?

I think it depends if you're from Slovenia or, Croatia.

My grandmother made it and she'd inadvertently leave a few shell in. Roll Eyes

Try this recipe

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Hrvatska!

Very complicated, hard to make it as well as my gma or mom. I cant even eat the bread like ones they try to pass off as povitica. Ill try and snap a pic this xmas. The one you lisyed corsair doesnt even come close to the old world stuff I get. No rolling, hand pulling the dough is how you get it thin!

posted Hide Post
I was in Ljubljana this Fall our AirBnB host and a driver I hired, would wax poetic about 'their family's' recipe. There's no doubt, the home made kind using mom/grandmother's hands turn-out the best. There was a store in the old part of Ljubljana that just sold potica...it was ok; kinda like babka you would get at a bagel shop here in the US.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife bought the ones from the Bakers at Povitica, they had them at Costco and she liked them. We actually have three in the freezer. There are several videos on youtube on making them and recipes on pinterest.

It's kids like you, who make this bus late.

Posts: 884 | Location: Weirton,WV | Registered: April 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I have not heard of it until now. Looking at the pics online this bread looks like a variation of babka, which I have baked a few times. Too much beer to type up my marzipan babka recipe but here is a link to walnut babka.

https://www.keyingredient.com/...raisin-walnut-babka/

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
If you want to try something that is really really different, here is a recipe for Cypriot Flaunes. I admit that I cannot vouch for the recipe as I have not made these. There are sweet flaunes or savory flaunes. Do you remember Para's thread about the sweet or savory?

Anyways, two reasons that I did not bake these are because of the uncommon spices, and the lopsided reviews. Loved or hated.

Putting it out there for your information and the SF baking cadre. If you do it, please review.

http://www.greatbritishchefs.c...ipes/flaounes-recipe

https://blog.arousingappetites...riot-easter-dessert/

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Heres the real stuff gents.

Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
^^^^^Looks good Deq

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
That looks awesome, Deq!

229 you could always cheat and go here

Posts: 3448 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Looks good.

Another type of Christmas bread, Cesnica.

https://www.thespruce.com/serb...weet-cesnica-1135833

posted Hide Post
Outstanding Deqlyn! I can smell it through my laptop.. Smile

posted Hide Post
This is the time of year when I stuff myself with potica...

It's common in northern Minnesota, brought here by Slovenian immigrants working in the mines. There's still local bakeries that sell it and ship it, but it's not cheap, because it's labor-intensive to make.

My mother was Slovenian and an excellent cook/baker. I helped her with make potica when I was a little kid, primarily by grinding walnuts with a hand grinder. The general recipe is a pastry-type dough rolled thinly; then a mixture of finely ground walnuts and honey with spices like cinnamon, cloves, etc spread on top of the dough, rolled-up, cut into loaves about 12 inches long and baked. The end product should be moist. I like mine with a little butter when I have my morning coffee.

Might be a possible future Karma...

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:
That looks awesome, Deq!

229 you could always cheat and go here

Know the family. Unfortunately the machine made isnt as good but it works if you dont know how to make it!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mesabi:

...My mother was Slovenian and an excellent cook/baker...

In my case it was my grandmother from Czechoslovakia who taught it to my mother and somehow my wife figured it out too. I do not recall calling it potica 50+ years ago, I think it was "nut bread."

No matter what the name, it's delicious!

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post