SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    HVAC Replacement System Recommendations ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HVAC Replacement System Recommendations ? Login/Join 
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted
I am approaching the point of needing to replace my 15+ year old Trane HVAC system. I'm getting estimates from several different companies that rep deferent brands. So far Amana & Carrier have given me prices and they very quite a bit. Before I call others I need input.

Let me know who you like in today's market for a solid replacement of 2.5 ton A/C unit with gas furnace. I'm in Florida, super hot and sticky during summer so a higher SEER rating may be needed to keep the utility bill in check.

Warranty is a huge decision maker as well.

Posts: 3848 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fiber optic
posted Hide Post
I'd go with the company that does the Manual J calculation for your house. In my case that happened to be Bryant. The other 3 companies I had come out just stood on my front porch and told me I needed an additional ton of cooling capacity. Old unit was 4 ton (correct according to Manual J) scammers tried to sell me a 5 ton except for Bryant rep.

We've had it for about a year and a half now with no complaints. It is a packaged (air handler built into box) 16 SEER with 2-stage cooling and 2-stage gas furnace.

Learn and love and to do
What it takes to step through

Posts: 1385 | Registered: November 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rictafer
posted Hide Post
to bad I don't live closer! I could replace it for you and save you $$$.

Posts: 27 | Location: Southeast Connecticut  | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth Trane was the last HVAC manufacturer that builds all of their own components, most others outsource. Do not know if that still is true. Have them show you the total life cycle cost of the contracts units. This will help include the capital investment, O&M, energy consumption, etc.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3623 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I'd shop for the installer as hard as the brand.

I had 3 systems, 2 Goodmans and an Amana (Goodman), installed in 2007 by one of the best. Going great, replaced a couple hard start capacitors is all, knock wood.

I popped for the 4" Aprilaire a/c filter on my system and I'd recommend it. Filters cost about $30 but only change once a year and they keep the a/c coils clean and dust down in the house.

Posts: 4683 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig229-SAS:

Let me know who you like in today's market for a solid replacement of 2.5 ton A/C unit with gas furnace.

Tell me what brand the best installer in your area sells and you'll have your answer.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Ditto what doublesharp said.
If you can wait till the off season you will get a better deal and probably find yourself better access to the most reputable installers too.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I just installed a new Trane 1.5 ton unit.

You'll find bupkis online that gives decent, objective comparisons among manufacturer and models.

The price was competitive among the three brands for which I received estimates. The final analysis came down to the competence of the estimator and their online reputation (which I know came be misleading).
The estimator pointed out a ducting issue that required some changes. This firm also included in the estimate all new wiring, copper tubing, and a new outside fuse box. They were the only one that did that.

Bottom line: spend 75% of the time researching in installer.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31378 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would go with another trane. 15 years in the Tampa Bay Area is a good run. American standard is also good, owned by trane, and less money. Those are my two favorites. Installer is just as important as brand.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...180067724#3180067724

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm in Florida, super hot and sticky during summer...

Resist the temptation to go with too much AC. More is not necessarily better.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just had a 3 ton Trane put in last week.

Posts: 1101 | Location: Toano, Va.  | Registered: January 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post