SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Autistic son needs to "decompress"
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Autistic son needs to "decompress" Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Seems like he needs his own "studio" space that's been treated for sound, whether that be his bedroom or the basement.

Just insulate the room better. Get a solid wood bedroom door, maybe.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
Seen good suggestions so far. The first thing that came to my mind was the solid rubber padding for the floor. While much of the sound comes from the ball, I think that would help.

I also think the solid door would help.

And lastly, you could always cover his walls in egg crate type foam, that would provide overall sound deadening.

Posts: 2280 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You want what is best for him, or you?

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aller Anfang ist schwer
Picture of Tavman
posted Hide Post
When I was a special ed teacher my students also enjoyed a little personal trampoline we had in the classroom. That may take care of the bouncing stim without all the noise.

Posts: 1700 | Location: Fayetteville, AR | Registered: May 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Walk a mile in someone's shoes

SMH

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Walk a mile in someone's shoes

SMH
Exactly. Thanks. No one knows until they know. If we don't have to suffer why should we?

One thing that I seem to have left out is that we went out of state for a week, he didn't bring the ball. That shows that the ball had become a habit but it is not a necessity. Maybe we'll try a smaller exercise ball that won't allow him to bounce so high and enthusiastically.

Posts: 45331 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The little red guy on my left shoulder thinks the forum members here should purchase a half dozen of these balls,
One for each room in the house
Smile

And the other angel on the other shoulder says that would be mean

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
The little red guy on my left shoulder thinks the forum members here should purchase a half dozen of these balls,
One for each room in the house
Smile

And the other angel on the other shoulder says that would be mean
Calm down, Satan.

Posts: 45331 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the flashback. Man, we drove Mom crazy. He's obviously coordinated. Maybe a balance board type thing

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Mind-...ALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSentry:
Thanks for the flashback. Man, we drove Mom crazy. He's obviously coordinated. Maybe a balance board type thing

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Mind-...ALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I want to get a balance board for me.Big Grin

posted Hide Post
How about a drum kit. Smile

Whatever happened to those little handheld spinners (quiet) that all the parents swore their kids needed.

Posts: 3875 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I ordered a slightly smaller exercise ball. I'm going to use the fact that it popped to get him to place it on some thick blankets. I hope that lessens the maddening misophonia.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
His new exercise ball came in today and he went right to pumping it up and bouncing away. I was in the basement and FINALLY found where the squeak was coming from and was able to bend a vent mount in a way that doesn't make contact with the first floor joist. I'm so excited by this.

posted Hide Post
We had a 1st floor apt. In Denver for 2 months,
Every night at 6:30 ,the 22 y.o. girl above us would start doing step airobics , for 90 minutes.

We demanded another apt. After the 5th night.

When they did not come through, we broke the lease. Two days before, we moved , she moved out.

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is there an over/under number on how long the new ball will last ?

Where do we lay down the bets ?

I am guessing that a smaller diameter ball was intended for much lighter tonnage.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is there an over/under number on how long the new ball will last ?

Where do we lay down the bets ?

I am guessing that a smaller diameter ball was intended for much lighter tonnage.
The first ball was probably about 16 years old so this is going to be a long experiment. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Smile
Told your story to a physical therapist,
He said that he would find a way to fasten it to the floor.

He has four customers with autistic teenagers.

He lets the parents bring them to the sessions.

But he also said that in Texas, there are places that specializes in fitness for the autistic and down syndrome teen agers.

Perhaps you might have a gym in your area that would offer a four hour class.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Smile
Told your story to a physical therapist,
He said that he would find a way to fasten it to the floor.

He has four customers with autistic teenagers.

He lets the parents bring them to the sessions.

But he also said that in Texas, there are places that specializes in fitness for the autistic and down syndrome teen agers.

Perhaps you might have a gym in your area that would offer a four hour class.

Hey, thanks so much for thinking of us. There's a lot less noise after I secured the furnace vent.

posted Hide Post
Definitely *don't* give up the studio. Caregivers need respite.
Soundproofing may be a solution, but how long will you stay in one house?
I had problems with one kid, but he got well enough to move out to semi-independence. I cannot fathom the road you're traveling. You're in my thoughts.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
TAEERY 48" Foldable Fitness Trampo-Lines, Rebound Recreational Exercise Trampo-line with 4 Levels Height Adjustable Foam Handrail for Kids and Adults Indoor&Outdoor, Max Load 440lbs https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0..._encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Indoor trampoline? Might not be as noisy since the impact does not touch the floor.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post