SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Autistic son needs to "decompress"
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Autistic son needs to "decompress" Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
A while back I talked about my autistic son. He had become violent and a psychiatrist came to talk with us.

The decision was to help him release energy and calm down with activities. We found that he enjoyed using one of those large blue exercise balls to bounce on. He would do it for hours and hours. To be completely frank, the sound drove me and my wife absolutely nuts. Kaboom, kaboom, kaboom, kaboom. You've heard stories of "chinese water torture". If that were real this is what it must have felt like. He even moved his computer so that he could bounce on it while watching videos. So we never got a break.

However, it seems to have worked. So we put weather stripping around his door, secured the pictures on his wall and did some other things to keep the rattling things to a minimum. That helped but we could still hear the incessant bouncing.

Yesterday, I was upstairs and heard a very loud POP and "oooohhh, nooooo". That friggen thing finally had enough and broke. They're not designed for bouncing on, at least not up to the ceiling. Good God, I was so relieved that I even had him pose with it for a picture to send to my wife. Her reply "hallelujah".

It's so quiet in the house and my nerves aren't frazzled today.

Regardless, I'm either going to have to replace it or find another annoying activity for him. For the love of Jesus, please help me find something else. Something quiet. Save your brother.

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Treadmill?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Treadmill?
Oh, it also must fit in his room.

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Water rower? They have a meter and you could set challenges that he can achieve which might just light a fire in him to show you how far he can get. And give him a great sense of accomplishment. And if he REALLY takes to it, you guys can get boats and hit Moraine.

Also -- What about making an as-nice-as-possible space in the basement for a workout space where he can burn off energy. Even if it ends up being bouncy ball, the concrete floor won't transmit as much. Do they make noise-canceling devices rather than just headphones. Sort of like a room scale one?

Posts: 11353 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
They make desks that that have a sway bar underneath specifically for manipulating while you stand or sit. They design them for kids in school to actively fidgit with while working. All kinds of designs, including bike stations and nordic track like things to simple bars.

https://www.flaghouse.com/Furn...oom-Furniture/Desks/

Probably not as fun as bouncy ball but one can keep pretty active and it's gotta be easier on the ears.

They're not just for little folks, they come in adult sizes as well.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
If he like to bounce he may also get the same release from swinging or spinning. The are options that could work and are not nearly as noisy.

If you search for items labeled "Children sensory swing" I think you'll find results that may help.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Some good options here but I may need a different house. I just built the basement into a studio and have really taken all the room.

posted Hide Post
How about a similar ball, but smaller and placed inside several cloth bags? Moveable, bouncy le but quiet?

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
What “bounced” into my head (se what I did there?) when I read of your situation Mark was to install some thick rubber padding on the floor to help soften the blow.

Something like what is used in gyms like this..

https://www.rubberflooringinc....8a6YSwwaAtydEALw_wcB

In all seriousness I wish you the best..

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Get him a teatherball setup in the back yard.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just a guess, but would you prefer something that occupies and distracts more than strengthens him like exercise equipment? I can think of several things that would really burn up energy, but you could end up with a very strong kid.

Maybe a hanging chair with a spring sized to his weight that he could bounce and swing, or one of those small round trampoline things with a cushion on it would provide the decompression without as much noise or energy.

Posts: 278 | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris42:
How about a similar ball, but smaller and placed inside several cloth bags? Moveable, bouncy le but quiet?
I should have tried that before the thing broke. Once I get a new one there's no going back.

No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Have you seen the bouncy ball chairs? Might be a little less noise

https://www.amazon.com/Gaiam-C...-Chair/dp/B006JBWYDA

Posts: 5299 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Have you seen the bouncy ball chairs? Might be a little less noise

https://www.amazon.com/Gaiam-C...-Chair/dp/B006JBWYDA

Wow! Check out the Ultimate, and how about this one?

https://www.amazon.com/Gaiam-K...HMZCZ0FSMHYXF3TQGV0Q

Posts: 278 | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
He isn't insistent to replace the exercise ball?

Year V

Posts: 2613 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
He isn't insistent to replace the exercise ball?
He is but it's so quiet that I'm delaying it as long as I can get away with it.

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
All the best, Mark!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Obviously, not the time of year for it, but I think he would benefit from getting horseback. Lots of programs out there using horses for various kinds of therapy. Something to think about. Otherwise, if you’ve got a large driveway and can keep an eye on him, rollerblades are a great way to use energy and should help him decompress.

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Feel free to try something else quieter but be prepared to just replace the ball.

You found something that works for him, right? If it comes to that, buy some ear plugs maybe or put carpet with extra padding in his room.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Maybe pogo stick in the garage? Might provide a similar stim.

(Just hide the extension cords...)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post