SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Autistic son needs to "decompress"
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Autistic son needs to "decompress" Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
TAEERY 48" Foldable Fitness Trampo-Lines, Rebound Recreational Exercise Trampo-line with 4 Levels Height Adjustable Foam Handrail for Kids and Adults Indoor&Outdoor, Max Load 440lbs https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0..._encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Indoor trampoline? Might not be as noisy since the impact does not touch the floor.
When he was 12 he wore one of those out. Big Grin

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
The yoga ball we have is weighted with sand inside. Doesn't bounce as much.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
Did it come that way or do you funnel it into the tiny hole?

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:

Pretty sure you can buy them that way. Our gym had them.

Posts: 1962 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Powers77:
quote:
quote:

Pretty sure you can buy them that way. Our gym had them.
I'll look into it. Thanks.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I have no suggestions.

But whatever the solution, do you need to consider repetitive stress injuries. If he's doing the same thing hours on end..... Perhaps at least some variety to avoid injury based on a singular activity? Again, easy to say and I have no ideas. But repetitive stress injury is personally top of mind these days. I think I did something to my wrist trying to do more push ups everyday.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12717 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
I would suggest looking into martial arts classes. A martial arts school near me has classes just for autistic children. They pretty much do exercising and katas. The school doesn't teach fighting skills to the autistic kids.
One of the parents told me how helpful it has been for their son. The boy now spends most of his time practicing his kata. It's mostly silent and good exercise. You'll have to find a dojo that has experience training autistic children though.

Posts: 1553 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
My wife is a special ed teacher for elementary autistic kids. Her top suggestions:

Balance Board
Swing or Hammock
The old school bouncy ball-they still make them

She said that a lot of the time it is the motion they stim on not the bouncing.

From my construction background, I would recommend a second layer of subfloor if it is practical. General home construction is not designed for bouncing. If he is going to do it, you need to spread the load more over the joists and maybe provide for a softer surface between the ball and the floor.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armedprof:
My wife is a special ed teacher for elementary autistic kids. Her top suggestions:

Balance Board
Swing or Hammock
The old school bouncy ball-they still make them

She said that a lot of the time it is the motion they stim on not the bouncing.

From my construction background, I would recommend a second layer of subfloor if it is practical. General home construction is not designed for bouncing. If he is going to do it, you need to spread the load more over the joists and maybe provide for a softer surface between the ball and the floor.

Thank you. Now that I've found and eliminated the squeak and gave him the smaller ball, is been pretty ok.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Is there an over/under number on how long the new ball will last ?

Where do we lay down the bets ?

I am guessing that a smaller diameter ball was intended for much lighter tonnage.
The first ball was probably about 16 years old so this is going to be a long experiment. Big Grin
You should have taken 1 week because it has already popped. Eek

Picture of JR78
posted Hide Post
We've used a trampoline in the past. But now, he's 28, CBD oil works just fine.

Posts: 1964 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post