SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Baltimore Residents Losing Homes Amid Crippling Increases In Water Bills To Pay For Crumbling Infrastructure
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Baltimore Residents Losing Homes Amid Crippling Increases In Water Bills To Pay For Crumbling Infrastructure Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted
This is what you get for voting for Democrats.... for 50 years: Razz

Baltimore Residents Losing Homes Amid Crippling Increases In Water Bills To Pay For Crumbling Infrastructure

With its surging violence and failing public schools, being a Baltimore resident these days doesn't seem to be that enticing a proposition. Unfortunately, crumbling water infrastructure is only adding to the agony of residents that occupy what increasingly looks like a failed city. As The Baltimore Sun notes today, a new study conducted by economist Roger Colton found that a series of water bill hikes, an effort designed to raise money to repair the city's crumbling water infrastructure, has left the poorest residents facing bills equal to 20% of their monthly income.

In 8 percent of the city’s census tracts, the poorest fifth of households face water bills costing more than 20 percent of their income, Colton estimated. In a quarter of the tracts, the poorest fifth face bills amounting to between 10 and 20 percent of their income.

By 2019, Colton concluded, water won’t be affordable for households making 150 percent of the federal poverty rate, which is $36,450 for a family of four. A third of city households make that much or less.

Colton defined affordability as a household paying less than 2 percent of it’s income for water. The federal Environmental Protection Agency uses a threshold of 4.5 percent.

“People just genuinely can't afford to pay ever-increasing water rates,” she said.

Not surprisingly, few Baltimore households have actually budgeted 20% of their annual income for water expenditures which has resulted in many simply skipping payments and others even losing their homes...events which have prompted local city council officials to consider sweeping reforms on how water is priced.

As more and more people can’t afford to pay, the city could find itself in a “downward spiral,” forced to impose larger and larger price increases to pay for court-ordered infrastructure upgrades, economist Roger Colton said.

“Even though Baltimore is raising its water and sewer rates, it’s also seeing this incredibly high increase in the amount of money that it’s not collecting from its billing,” Colton said.

Advocates for poor Baltimore residents, who commissioned the study, say the findings boost the case for the City Council to take up a sweeping water affordability package. The proposal would cap bills for low-income households at an affordable proportion of their income.

The idea is to protect the poor from losing their homes, which can be at risk if they fall behind on their bills and end up in the city’s tax sale system. It also could bring the city more revenue by issuing bills customers can afford.

As the Sun notes, the water department is in a difficult spot after years of borrowing money to pay for pipe and sewer upgrades...loans which now must be amortized via revenue from water customers. “The city of Baltimore does not have the discretion not to make these investments,” Colton wrote in a 109-page report released last week. “However, and it is a huge ‘however,’ the need to make the investments does not make the ability-to-pay of Baltimore customers any greater.”

All of which is just another fantastic reason for Baltimore residents to promptly relocate to Texas.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/...bills-pay-crumbling-

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24073 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A couple hundred dollars a month is one hell of a water bill, mine runs twenty.

Make it count

Posts: 1412 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: November 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Typical leftist tyranny of the bottomless purse of their subjects.

No planning, no long term thought, reactionary confiscation to cover for their shortfalls.

They DO take care of themselves, but everyone else - faggettaboutit!

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alreadydead:
Yeah, $20 a month here if we have company and someone lets the toilet run by accident.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alreadydead:
Mine is typically between $55 and $60 / month for just the two of us, but the biggest part of the metered water portion of the bill is for sewer maintenance.

Our bill also includes city trash pickup, and "Project Apricot" water. This latter water is re-cycled, cleaned up, sewer water that is distributed via a separate pipeline, to feed lawn sprinklers etc. Not metered, use all you want to, but only on two days each week.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My monthly bill (in Red Wing, MN) looks like this:

Water: 13.60
Sewer: 16.84
water and sewer availability: 26.83
Stormwater Utility: 11.50

(it's great how the fixed fees are more than the usage fees)

for a grand total of $68.77 for 400 'units' - however that is defined.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
Maybe Baltimore is on the road to Venezuela.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
About a year ago, I would've said something to the effect that a national infrastructure program might be a great opportunity for Trump. Now, I'm thinking that maybe it's more like eliminating the federal tax deduction for state and local taxes - a way to force blue state governments to be a little more disciplined and rational about the way they spend local tax revenues.

That's a wild-ass water bill, though.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Wow, I pay $46.60 a month for water and sewer whether I use any or not.

Posts: 11159 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Baltimore Maryland.

Not surprising.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Does the income of the "poor" include the numerous government benefits they often get such as section 8 housing, rent reductions, utility assistance, EBT cards, WIC, credits for children, tax refunds larger than what they paid in taxes, obama phones, lumping of benefits by not being married, etc, etc?

Posts: 9743 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
Does the income of the "poor" include the numerous government benefits they often get such as section 8 housing, rent reductions, utility assistance, EBT cards, WIC, credits for children, tax refunds larger than what they paid in taxes, obama phones, lumping of benefits by not being married, etc, etc?

Why pay your water bill when everything else is "free"?
Water is a "human right"!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24073 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We run appx. $35/month off peak and $90 peak use (3 months). Cost increases more per gal the more you use too. Sewer and drainage is a separate fee of appx. $300 which is paid once annually. There's some determining formula for the cost, which I believe is offset for elderly and lower income folks. Seems reasonable. We have four of us in a single family home on about a 1/4 acre lot, which I do water regularly in the summer. Baseline is basically $600-700 per year for water before you water the lawn or do anything beyond normal inside use.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post