SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New vehicle time! - edit: bought one
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New vehicle time! - edit: bought one Login/Join 
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
All LED now

Don't forget the Duramax diesel is available now in the Suburban

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:
Is GM STILL having the headlight socket burnout problems?

On the Suburban / Tahoe that was the 2007-2014 body style. I had a 2007 and I had to replace one of the DRL's every year. It was a $60 repair bill each time. They went LED in 2015.

Posts: 2280 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
I have a 2015 Subruban and I love it. It I totaled it tomorrow I would buy another Suburban without even looking at another vehicle.

One, I can carry all my gear. Whether it is me playing chauffeur for my teen daughter and multiple friends, or four of my friends loaded up with mountain bikes to hit the trails, or my family of four driving to the mountains to spend the week in a cabin, or a weekend at the fields for my daughter's travel ball team, I always have room for whatever I want to carry. Plus, I use it for my job which requires to me to carry various samples to present to clients.

FYI, I have had two family members who went with the Tahoe instead of Suburban and regretted it. It's not less money, and the extra 18" is not harder to maneuver / drive, so from my point of view, take the extra size.

Posts: 2280 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JeepDawg:
quote:
Originally posted by creslin:
So I'm looking to get a bigass SUV.

I'm currently considering the 2021 Chevy Suburban Z71 and the GMC Yukon XL AT4.

What motor is in those SUV's? 5.3 or 6.0?

I had an older (late 90's) Expedition and never liked it on winter roads. Just felt squirrely even after changing tires.
I'm now on my 2nd F-250 and with a shell the wet dogs aren't shaking on the back seat passengers.

Had a ‘00 Expedition that had the same problem. Cured it with friction modifier in the rear axle lube. The diff loc was a bit too aggressive. The clue was the rear ended began banging while turning sharply. Added modifier banging quit and coincidentally so did the squirrelly handling on ice.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After Chevrolet, GMC, Ford.... I went Toyota and could not be happier.

I use a truck for work and I have lots of miles and wear and tear on them over the years. I say this so you will know I didn't make up my mind driving to the store and back. Yes I use the 4x4 frequently as well.

That's my .02

Posts: 787 | Registered: April 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You sure you dont want a pickup? You mention more carrying stuff than transporting a large family. A full size truck with crew cab might fit your needs more than an SUV unless you need the seats for people. I can get 5-6 adults in my truck comfortably and I imagine the mileage is about the same.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wishbone:
Does the Expedition even have a V8 option like God intended?

Oh it appears not. The Expedition has been only the ecoboost turbo 6 cylinder since 2015.
I learnt something today, i gotta take a nap.

Posts: 263 | Location: PNW | Registered: June 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxxpower:
For a SUV comparable in size to the ones you listed, I would look at Toyota Sequoia (5.7 V8).

If you don't need one quite that big, I would be looking at a Lexus GX460 (4.6 V8)

I do like the Lexus GX460 or if you have extra cash, the LX.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I could buy so many things I need and want for the cost of a new burban. Like almost $100k. That is nuts.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
If I had the money, I’d buy a new Toyota landcruiser and drive it for the next 25 years.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
I have a 15 GX460 Premium and we absolutely love it. With stock tires it was getting around 19-20 mpg on the highway and is one of the quietest vehicles inside we have ever owned. A V8, AWD, heated and cooled seats and enough room in the back for 3 car seats. Not to mention Toyota reliability. I have since installed a Dobinson lift, SPC upper control arms and Toyo AT3"s and it is even more of a beast now. They had been a sleeper vehicle for a while as far as their off road capability but word has gotten around. Seats are very comfortable as well. A CPO would have a great warranty and would have taken the depreciation hit as well.

Good luck with your search.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1851 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
Well I did it.
Went down yesterday and pulled the trigger on the suburban.

This thing has more extra features than I can shake a stick at.
Will take some time to get used to driving something this large for sure.

Obligatory picture:

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1524 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Very nice congrats, I had a GMC version at one time, great vehicle,

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Nice, the Z71's are cool

Did you get the magnetic ride control and adaptive air ride?

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Congrats and safe travels!

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1851 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
Congrats. I had a suburban for 15+ years. Really liked it. Great ride over the road.

Hey, I live in Cary, NC too.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Creslin! Should be a comfortable highway vehicle and great for running to Home Depot. Is it 4wd? If so better be careful with it off road because li looks like it'd get high-centered pretty easily. Smile

On a serious note, since I see you're from Cary, my daughter went to UNC just down the road in Chapel Hill, graduated in 2003. When there an unusual Winter storm dropped maybe 12" of wet snow which of course closed down the university, actually pretty much everything. She called me on the phone she saying "Dad almost all of the roads are impassable due to stuck vehicles and none of them are 4wd and did you know they make 2WD Suburbans!?"

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7040 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Your job list doesn't seem to demand 4X4. Why do you want that?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Your job list doesn't seem to demand 4X4. Why do you want that?

I think that question was addressed to the purchaser of the new vehicle, but I fall in the same category.

Living in Orlando, FL, I do not "need" 4x4, 99.99% of my driving is done on 2WD mode. But I like having it for a few reasons.

The first is driving on the beach in New Symrna Beach. We hit this beach 4-6 times per year, and I have seen numerous friends or cars nearby get stuck in the sand. Earlier this year we had an all day tailgate type party for my daughter's softball team at this beach. I helped dig out the cars of three friends, one of them was a 2WD Suburban.

And then the other reason is the family trips we have starting making to the NC / GA mountains. Some of those roads up there, having 4WD makes it a whole lot easier.

Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
A lot of statements/questions around "bro you live in Cary.... why the hell do you need 4x4?"

Quite simply, I don't like to need something and not have it.
My previous vehicle was a Jeep Wrangler.
I only used the 4x4 on it a few times, but when I did - it was pretty critical to have.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1524 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post