SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New vehicle time! - edit: bought one
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New vehicle time! - edit: bought one Login/Join 
Picture of creslin
posted
So I'm looking to get a bigass SUV.

I'm currently considering the 2021 Chevy Suburban Z71 and the GMC Yukon XL AT4.

Thoughts? Alternatives?

Edit: Any alternatives must be 4x4
Projected uses:
Carting guns to/from range
Generally carrying shit around from place to place as needed.
Will also be my daily driver after work from home eventually ends (on days that I do not take the motorcycle)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: creslin,

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1523 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
2021 Ford Expedition Max, or you might find a deal on a 2020...

https://www.ford.com/suvs/expe...vs-fut-hp-expedition

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Unless you haul a lot of people and cargo at the same time the Suburban is overkill. The new body style Tahoe has significantly more interior space than the previous generations. I have hauled 7 adults comfortably and hauled sheets of plywood from Home Depot in mine, but not at the same time....

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Expedition over the Suburban/Yukon XL.

We have a 2015 Suburban and it has been the most problematic vehicle I have ever owned.

The drivetrain is terribly noisy (it is supposed to be that way they keep telling me).
The active fuel managment (cylinder deactivation) is the most annoying thing I have ever come across in a vehicle. Though I have not had a vehicle with auto start/stop yet.
I have the AFM deactivated so it is always running on 8 cylinders and it is great.

The ride is complete crap compared to what my Expedition was. The Suburban has the magnaride system and the Expedition was lifted 2” on 33” E rated tires and rode so much better on anything with bumps.
The Suburban is smooth as a sewing machine on the interstate but around town it is super harsh!
The new models should be better riding though as they have an Independent rear suspension that the Expedition has had for awhile.

Our Suburban is nice for long interstate trips but around town not nearly as comfortable.

When this Magnaride takes a dump. I am going to put Fox 2.5 Coilovers on the front and 2.0 shocks in the rear and deactivate the magnaride system and hopefully it will ride better.

I wish Toyota made a long wheel base full size Sequoia. That would be what we would have over the Suburban. But with 3 boys and a dog the short wheel base provides zero cargo room with the 3rd row in use.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25356 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
You didn't mention hauling peoples. How about a pickup truck with a cap on the back?

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by creslin:

What motor is in those SUV's? 5.3 or 6.0?

I had an older (late 90's) Expedition and never liked it on winter roads. Just felt squirrely even after changing tires.
I'm now on my 2nd F-250 and with a shell the wet dogs aren't shaking on the back seat passengers.

Posts: 263 | Location: PNW | Registered: June 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
2021 Ford Expedition Max, or you might find a deal on a 2020...
^^^This.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JeepDawg:
quote:

I had an older (late 90's) Expedition and never liked it on winter roads. Just felt squirrely even after changing tires.
I'm now on my 2nd F-250 and with a shell the wet dogs aren't shaking on the back seat passengers.

Posts: 1523 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by JeepDawg:
quote:

You can also get the 6.2L on some trim lines.

————————————————

Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

You can also get the 6.2L on some trim lines.

Yeah but those are pretty much the SUPER expensive models only.
The damn thing is already pricy enough without splurging that extra bit.

posted Hide Post
For a SUV comparable in size to the ones you listed, I would look at Toyota Sequoia (5.7 V8).

If you don't need one quite that big, I would be looking at a Lexus GX460 (4.6 V8)

Posts: 326 | Registered: January 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxxpower:
For a SUV comparable in size to the ones you listed, I would look at Toyota Sequoia (5.7 V8).

If you don't need one quite that big, I would be looking at a Lexus GX460 (4.6 V8)

The Sequoia is nowhere near the size of a Suburban or Yukon XL. Not even close. I so wish it was as there would be a Sequoia in the garage and not the Suburban.

The Sequoia is along the size of the Tahoe and Yukon.

————————————————

Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
quote:

The Sequoia is nowhere near the size of a Suburban or Yukon XL. Not even close.
The Sequoia is along the size of the Tahoe and Yukon.

^
accurate

posted Hide Post
Help me understand
4x4- Cary doesn’t get that much snow ( Cary- containment area for relocated Yankees)
Lots of vehicles get the job done without being big and ungainly

Posts: 3269 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
If I were going to buy a ~$62k SUV and didn't need to tow or haul 8 people then I'd be getting a BMW X5 xDrive40i. It'll haul ass and plenty of range toys.

A few months back, my buddy bought a '21 Ford Expedition Max and it's huge. Behind the rear seat is huge compared to my neighbor's '21 regular Expedition. I like the fit and finish better on the Ford than the Chevy's.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"Yeah, but I'm sayin'... that TruCoat, you don't get it and you get oxidation problems..."

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Expedition over the Suburban/Yukon XL.

The 2021 Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon is a redesign, including an independent rear suspension, like the Expedition.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Well Car and Driver ranked the new GM full-sized SUV's as one of the biggest losers of 2020. The electronic nannies intervene way too early and impede handling.

https://www.caranddriver.com/f...ers-testing-edition/

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
GMC Yukon all day. The 5.3L is tried and true. Been around forever. Does the Expedition even have a V8 option like God intended?

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is GM STILL having the headlight socket burnout problems?

I hear they are expensive to change out and do not last when you do anyway...or at least very time consuming to do it yourself.
I went to to get my annual check up this morning and passed 3 GMs in 8 miles with one headlight out.
Maybe they are just fans of the Dylan song?

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post