SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Opinions on the LEXUS SC 430?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on the LEXUS SC 430? Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted
Opinions on 2007 LEXUS SC 430?

I've never had a Lexus, though I have a Toyota 4Runner. I've come across a 2007 LEXUS SC 430, that I may consider....
The mileage is just under 100K.

Anyone have one? Opinions?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24108 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I don't have first hand experience with the SC 430 but I do own a LS430. The LS has basically the same drive train as the SC. My LS has been lawless.
I have looked at several SC's and would seriously consider one if it was the right car.
At 100,000 miles its just breaking in.
Timing belt needs replacement at about 80000 miles, a $1000 trip to the shop.

Posts: 4625 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Voted worst car in the world by Top Gear.

Posts: 880 | Registered: October 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
I don't have first hand experience with the SC 430 but I do own a LS430. The LS has basically the same drive train as the SC. My LS has been lawless.
I have looked at several SC's and would seriously consider one if it was the right car.

I’ve had two LS430’s. These are the best cars I’ve ever had. Our 2004 must be up to 170,000 miles now and has held up very well indeed.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
My brother had one that I've driven quite extensively. Very comfortable car, quiet even with the top down. No problems, trouble free.

Only complaint is that is that it drives heavier than it looks. It's a very dense car.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Only complaint is that is that it drives heavier than it looks. It's a very dense car.

I think I know what you mean....
Not real nimble? Doesn't handle like a Porsche?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 24108 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ridgeway:
Voted worst car in the world by Top Gear.

Lol, yep... that was a great episode.

Heres just Hammond reviewing it...

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3446 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
A friend has one for about 6 months before he traded it. These ARE NOT sports cars, they're two-seater LS's that look like a bloated Audi TT.

Without question, Lexus build fine reliable cars, but it you want a sports car, keep looking.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
These ARE NOT sports cars, they're two-seater LS's that look like a bloated Audi TT.
Without question, Lexus build fine reliable cars, but it you want a sports car, keep looking.

Gotcha. My wife would be the primary driver... so that would be fine. Wink

LOL: just Hammond reviewing it... funny!

-rduckwor

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gotcha. My wife would be the primary driver... so that would be fine. Wink

Well, why didn't you say so! Fine car for the little lady! Big Grin

Seriously, she will probably love it.

Good Luck,

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
My Neice has one, I think it's a 2004.

She can buy anything she wants, but swears she loves this car and won't get rid of it.

Posts: 11840 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
We had one. Nice car, comfortable, pretty quiet on the road (so long as you don't have run-flats on it) very nice with the top down.

It is not a sports car; it's not even particularly sporty to drive. It's heavy. Very heavy. For its weight and looks, it's underpowered. That doesn't mean that if you turn off the traction control and mash it in a corner, it won't step out... oh, it will. But it isn't nimble at all.

There is no back seat room, as in the back of the front seats basically touch the front of the back seats. The back seats are there for insurance purposes only.

With the top down, there is no trunk, which means anything you carry, you carry in the back seat. Which means you put the top up every time you park, because nothing is in the trunk.

We also found that we didn't use the convertible much at all. It was either too hot (sunburn, nasty hot in heavy traffic, etc.) or too loud; there's nothing like riding next to a dump truck on the highway with the top down when your head is at the level of the top of the truck's tires.

There is no spare tire; you either have run flats (which suck) or regular tires and AAA.

Factory alignment calls for significant negative camber, particularly on the rear, and so the inner edge of the rear tires will wear significantly, ruining the set if you aren't watching carefully. We had our shop set the tires for more neutral camber. Did not negatively affect handling, and made a huge difference in tire wear.

The Beautiful Girl sold it and bought an F150. We don't miss it.

Personally, I wouldn't do it. If you want something sporty, there are much better options; it is also not a particularly convenient car.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
My LS has been lawless.

So you get pulled over a lot I'm gathering...

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't have first hand experience with the SC 430 but I do own a LS430. The LS has basically the same drive train as the SC. My LS has been flawless.

With my wife's driving habits it IS LAWLESS many times.

Posts: 4625 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
My LS has been lawless.

So you get pulled over a lot I'm gathering...

Future rebel without a car... Smile

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Set out once to become the world's greatest procrastinator, but never got around to it
Picture of Fdan
posted Hide Post
Wife had one. As others have said, not a sports car. Handles better than many sedans and has OK but not great acceleration. Superb reliability, quality and workmanship. The issues raised about disadvantages of a convertible exist with any convertible. So do the advantages of open air motoring. If the looks and performance meet your expectations, I’d go for it.

Posts: 1987 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
A sales rep acquaintance had that SC. No room for samples ...

I was looking for an Acura CL 3.2 Type-S. A toned-down hardtop version by the other company ...

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
I was looking for an Acura CL 3.2 Type-S. A toned-down hardtop version by the other company ...

Well... I've been an Acura guy since my 90's two door manual Legend...

-rduckwor

Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
If it is under $8,000 ... What do they want, $12k? I've seen dealers put screamingly high prices on some of these older models.

Is this the one with the blond wood interior trim?

I liked working on my Acura when I had the '00 TL. A little tight here and there but nothing was nearly impossible.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Girlfriend had one. I hated it. I'd rather get a BMW Z4 or even a Mazda Miata.

With that said, my next car will be the new Z4 or a 4 series convertible.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post