SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Driving & Merging (Facebook Video)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Driving & Merging (Facebook Video) Login/Join 
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted
For those who can view facebook videos. Who, in this video, is doing it wrong?

https://www.facebook.com/frank...156523611364557/?t=3

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15716 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
The “ME FIRST” child driving the red truck, IMO. He’s essentially passing on the right to get in front of you.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seotaji
posted Hide Post
Good Lord what is wrong with people.

There was no room to merge. The other driver should have waited.

Typically there should be enough of a gap between cars for the merging driver to slide in zipper style, but it's not a perfect world.

I experience that frequently. People just pushing their way in.

Posts: 6917 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
I hate fucking cutters on the roads!!!

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I had one hit me last year.

Got $500 on the spot not to call the cops.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It has been my experience that shiit like that is what causes most traffic jams. When it's heavy traffic on trips, and there is a jam up, I always leave a couple car spaces ahead of me to avoid this. There is no shortage of people that are in a hurry--- they are best to avoid.

Always tell the wife to give them room to avoid having to hit your brakes, do you legally have to? NO, but it sure makes things work smoother. I wish all drivers would think this way, but as my Mother used to tell me-- "You can wish in one hand, shit in the other, see which one gets full first"

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Who here hasn't wanted to do that at one time or another? I'm talking about the guy on the left. I know I have, but I'm the guy that usually lets the narcissistic bastards in. Not worth raising my blood pressure over.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
The red truck had the right of way.

If you look at the beginning of the video the red truck did not fly up there to get ahead.

There appears there was enough room in front of the vehicle with the dash cam for another vehicle. Once the red truck show up in the camera the distance in front of the dash cam vehicle was quickly closed up.

No matter if it is a lane closure or a required merge the foremost vehicle will have the right of way

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ontmark:

No he didn't. The lane he was in was reduced and he was required to YEILD to the traffic on the left that was in a free flowing lane.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
There appears there was enough room in front of the vehicle with the dash cam for another vehicle. Once the red truck show up in the camera the distance in front of the dash cam vehicle was quickly closed up.

Did you notice that the SUV in front applied his brakes slowing, thus causing that gap to close? As opposed to say, the vehicle with the dash cam speeding up.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15716 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
The thing is people are flaming morons and self important tools. A smart driver understands that and plans ahead to deal with it.

Maybe the guy in the red pickup was a total tool who whipped over into the right lane to pass a bunch of people, ran the lane out, then just forced his way in like he had the right of way (which as stated, he absolutely did not).

Maybe he was another oblivious moron who paid no attention to what was going on around him and had no clue anything was happening until the cones were halfway across his lane and then just assumed everyone else was responsible for getting out of his way. (This seems more common in commiefornia lately.) Perhaps he was texting while he was at it...

One thing I am seeing more of in Commiefornia is the guy who get tired of people passing on the right and jamming in at the front of the line. Instead of driving in his lane like dash cam man, he’ll straddle the line to the right preventing further passing on the right, then sliding back into the lane when the cones force it. I’m not sure if this makes him a bigger tool than the first guy or not, but after watching several folks fly by on the right only to force their way in I almost find myself cheering for this guy...

Myself, I think the right approach is to leave plenty of room, be aware of everything that is going on around you, and plan ahead so that the stupity or selfishness of other drivers neither bends your your car nor wears out you brakes or nerves. YMMV

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ontmark:
No matter if it is a lane closure or a required merge the foremost vehicle will have the right of way

Every last line breaker I have hit has ALWAYS been charged with improper lane change.

I get two or three a year.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
The “ME FIRST” child driving the red truck, IMO. He’s essentially passing on the right to get in front of you.

Yup. Pecker head.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7507 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
You're in the right. Red pickup truck is losing his lane, he needs to yield.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
The idiot with the camera was an asshole and sped up a bit to try to cut the red truck off. The right and proper thing to do would be to back off a bit and let the red truck in. He knew the red truck was trying to merge but got his road rage on.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
The idiot with the camera was an asshole and sped up a bit to try to cut the red truck off.

The idiot asshole is me, and I was not speeding up to prevent anybody from getting in. When I'm being an asshole I have a habit of announcing it to those in the vehicle with me so that they may admire my assholishness. For example, I would have said "What does this bitch think she's doing". Notice I'm silent. Didn't even know she was there until the last 7 seconds.

In fact, from the moment you see the brake lights on the vehicle in front of me, I was decreasing speed. Started to brake when you first heard the horn, and then standing on it once I realized she was coming over anyway.

I should also add that I was in a truck that outweighs hers by 3 times empty, but happened to have several thousand pounds worth of safes on board. She's lucky it stopped as quickly as it did on the wet roadway.

www.zykansafe.com

Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
Sorry about the name calling, just the way I saw it.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SFCUSARET:
Sorry about the name calling, just the way I saw it.

I have to say I saw it the same way (minus the name calling). Now, the red truck may not have had the right of way. Legally it could all be the red truck's fault. But the fact is a1abdj could have let the red truck in. I don't know what the red truck did prior, but the cones are the point at which you need to merge. The red truck was obviously in a spot that they needed to merge and right away. The only alternative was for the red truck to completely stop on a highway. a1, if you got hit that is completely on you because you know you could have let them in but you tried to make a point. I don't think it's worth it to get damage to your car just because you think you are right. On the flip side I think the red truck is a shitty driver because there was plenty of room in front of you. I would have been able to occupy that space without you even needing to touch the brakes.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
under no circumstances never, ever let anyone ever get in front of you. lay on the horn, speed up, run them off the road, hit them if you have to but no matter what show them no one gets in front of king of the road. ever.

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
We all know the proper thing to do here.
That is to merge SAFELY well before we would get to the cones. But alas, we all don't feel like we should have to do this.

For the red truck supporters I want to thank you for making my job more challenging than it should be. I am sure that your getting a few cars ahead is well worth it for you...and everyone else be damned.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post