SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kalvin wants to get married, but there is a hitch
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kalvin wants to get married, but there is a hitch Login/Join 
posted
Kalvin has found his dream wife at the age of 54.
but there is a hitch,
the last to people that Kalvin married cost him around $700 g's ,
one marriage lasted 5 years, the other lasted 6 1/2 years.

Kalvin has his retirement all set up , he is retiring at the age of 62.

Is there a way for Kalvin to put everything and all monies in to an estate or trust or something
so that he owns absolutely nothing, prior to asking Kelly to be his lawfully wedded wife?

( 7 of us agree that Kalvin was/is NOT the "husband" type , but a guy wants what a guy wants )

if he loses anything while married , his retirement goes right out the window.

is there any way at all to protect what he has and what he will make ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54497 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
No way to know without knowing which state they live in.

Find a lawyer in that state.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Kalvin should just keep it in his pants for a while.

Posts: 107250 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Find a lawyer. Sounds like he'll need a prenuptial agreement.

Posts: 32417 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
colorado,
kelly is 5 years younger and also divorced twice.

Posts: 54497 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Was Kalvin as sure he'd met his dream woman the last two times he got married? 'Cause I'm thinking Kalvin's judgment might be a bit off on the matter.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107250 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Kalvin should just keep it in his pants for a while.

Big Grin Big Grin
he hated when we told him that the 2nd time and now the third time

"Was Kalvin as sure he'd met his dream woman the last two times he got married?"

from his perspective Yes !

but none of us thought he was "ready " either time, to make the leap in to wedlock

Picture of RaiseHal
posted Hide Post
Remember the rule of the 3 F's, Kelvin should rent instead of own.

It's a shame that youth is wasted on the young --- Mark Twain

Anyone who is not a liberal by age 20 has no heart; anyone who is not a conservative by age 40 has no brain---Winston Churchill

Posts: 4650 | Location: The Free State of Georgia | Registered: August 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Why is Kalvin buying the cow when he can get the milk for free?

Posts: 5733 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
He needs a prenuptial agreement, not trusts, estates, or tricks.

It may surprise people to learn that you can't really "partially" give away your assets and the law doesn't approve of attempts at trickery.

To my knowledge, all states allow for pre-nups, which can effectively shield assets. He needs to see a lawyer in his state. This area can be exceedingly technical and somewhat tricky.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
And here I was expecting a punch line.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26005 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
prenumps don't apply anymore?

I am all for him meeting his dream girl and not keeping it in his pants except his wallet. Maybe consult with a local attorney in his area. I am guessing for $500 or less he could have it handled and then let the fun begin.

Plus, after two marriages for her. Maybe she is the one meeting with an attorney to keep her assets protected Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19108 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
colorado,
kelly is 5 years younger and also divorced twice.

Posts: 8600 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I think it was Harry Anderson that said a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Oh, and if she's not happy just living the rest of her life with him and insists on being married then that's pretty self explanatory to me. And if he's insisting then he's just a dumbass.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Tell Kalvin to listen to Mr. Rhythm...

Posts: 8600 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Kelvin should rent. It's cheaper.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Reading Kalvin's history in that first paragraph, I think Kalvin should remain single and just date his dream girl.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Is she hot?

Someone had to ask....

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Long time ago I worked with a guy who had been married like three times and then shacked up with some new gal. They lasted maybe a year and it blew up. He went around for the next couple of months asking "Why can't I ever find a good one???" He wasn't amused when some of the guys told him to look in a mirror.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post