SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Papa John's controversial CEO steps down after facing backlash for his criticism of NFL anthem protests
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Papa John's controversial CEO steps down after facing backlash for his criticism of NFL anthem protests Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I guess I'll eat Papa John's pizza on Sundays, when Chick-Fil-A is closed.
I have one major gripe with Papa John's, and it has nothing to do with the NFL: when ordering from their website, there is no option for anchovies. This makes ordering a two-step process:
  1. Order on website, then

2. Call them to modify the order, adding anchovies.
Royal pain in the ass.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
...I have one major gripe with Papa John's, and it has nothing to do with the NFL: when ordering from their website, there is no option for anchovies. This makes ordering a two-step process:

Royal pain in the ass.

We actually ordered from Papa Johns for the first time in a year or so last weekend. We did an online order. If using the Create Your Own pizza function, anchovies are listed in the "meats" section. I wonder if there are differences in the online menu functions between stores?

I have nothing to do with the NFL directly anymore but don't follow much about corporate politics. I had no idea there was any controversy with John Schattner. I didn't actually know the guy's name until this story.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I like Papa Johns pizza.

I used to like it better when they emailed me 50% off coupon codes.

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
This summer PJ had a promotion tied into MLB. The next day after any player on any team hit a grand slam home run, the pizza was 40% off reg price. Coupon code was papaslam. They do other codes with college football/basketball just keep your eyes and ears open.

John Schnatter grew up 3 doors down from where I live today. He's 10 years younger than me and he took over some of the chores I used to do when I left home. My dad loaned him his p-up several times when he was going back and forth to Ball State. I've known John since he was in jr high and he is a good and generous guy. I've also been a shareholder since the ipo.

My fruit stand is a 1/2 mile from his original pizza place and in the early days I traded him Christmas trees for pizzas. Sure, he should have kept his mouth shut - but he didn't. This will blow over and just amounts to a good buying opportunity since pzza is trading near 52 wk low. Pays near 2% div and Schnatter has the logistics of the pizza business down cold with central commissaries that keep quality consistent.

He is a hard worker and a smart guy but he let his politics get in the way of his business so he must be the bad guy for a while. MSM loves to excoriate successful conservatives.

My usual order is lg thin crust, the works, well done bake. It's not Chicago deep dish but it's good, fast and cheap.

Posts: 4695 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
He owns 25%, about 8.5 million shares at ~$60. That will keep the wolf a long way from the door.

With that kind of dough, he should give out FREE Pizzas during the Super Bowl using past receipts of customers. Smile

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Sell it to P. Diddy. He could call it Puffy Johns.....er sumpthin. Colon Kap could maybe deliver for him. He won't have to look at the flag or listen to anything patriotic.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
He must have got that notion while watching the Kneelers-Stealers game.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobandmikako:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
...I have one major gripe with Papa John's, and it has nothing to do with the NFL: when ordering from their website, there is no option for anchovies. This makes ordering a two-step process:

Royal pain in the ass.

We actually ordered from Papa Johns for the first time in a year or so last weekend. We did an online order. If using the Create Your Own pizza function, anchovies are listed in the "meats" section. I wonder if there are differences in the online menu functions between stores?

I have nothing to do with the NFL directly anymore but don't follow much about corporate politics. I had no idea there was any controversy with John Schattner. I didn't actually know the guy's name until this story.

This is why computers (and websites) are a pain in the rump. The computer (or website) does what you tell it to (not necessarily what you want it to), but you have to be able to speak its language to communicate with it.

This could be made a lot easier in the consumer by rethinking the interface. In addition to the point and click where things are categorized, have a blank window where you can type in keywords. Have a keyword for every topping and token recognition. The technology is simple, we had it in the router interface at cisco in the early 90s, and what the user sees was borrowed from DEC’s TOPS-20 that we used in school in the ‘80s. The user typing “a?” would see a list of all the toppings starting with a, including anchovies. Once they typed enough characters for it to be unambiguous, they could hit tab to complete the word (or just space to leave it) and start on the next topping.

If I know what I want on my pizza, specifying it this way will be much more efficient than clicking through a menu tree that is organized the way someone else thinks it should be. Sure, an anchovy is meat when it is swimming, but by the time it comes out of the can, it seems like it is more salt than meat...

Heck, for that matter, if I don’t know what I want, give me the option of scrolling through one of two list, either organized in grouping (meat, veggies, cheeses, whatever) or alphabetically. Either way, when I get to the bottom of the list I have seen them all. If you want to add hyperlinks to jump between the group headings, okay, but a flat list is going result in less folks having trouble finding things...

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
With all due respect slosig, bs. Papa Johns website couldn't be any easier or more intuitive to use. Big picture of Anchovies in the meat section for those that can't read or spell.

https://www.papajohns.com/orde...=1-1-4-83&quantity=1

Posts: 4695 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
I like Papa Johns pizza.

I used to like it better when they emailed me 50% off coupon codes.

Papa John's Coupon Codes

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Haven't had Papa John's pizza in at least 20 years, maybe since I was in college in the 80s, and this just makes it even easier to keep the streak alive.

Posts: 2480 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
With all due respect slosig, bs. Papa Johns website couldn't be any easier or more intuitive to use. Big picture of Anchovies in the meat section for those that can't read or spell.

https://www.papajohns.com/orde...=1-1-4-83&quantity=1

And it pushes you toward going through all of the sections (maybe you can skip, I don’t know, I didn’t try.) so if you read everything on each screen (or even scan it all) you are unlikely to miss the anchovies. It isn’t bad at all. I should have looked up their website before posting.

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
PJ website has not always been this good but they have always made good use of technology.

This is the 3rd time John has stepped down as CEO and, as before, he will remain chairman of the board. He came out of retirement a couple years ago when Dunkin Donuts (iirc) stole his last one.

Stock may go a little lower but once tax loss selling ends 12/31 I look for pzza to gain share price. I added 10% at $60, could have done better by waiting but my crystal ball was cloudy that day. My hindsight is always 20/20 though.