SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Climate Change. You buying it?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Climate Change. You buying it? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Yes, I am buying "it". I define "it" as the potential for man to change the climate.

I do not buy the theory that CO2 is a poison, it is plant food.

But I do believe that pollution and other actions by man, can and has changed the planet, and thereby the climate. In biblical times, there were Cedars in Lebanon. Overgrazing led to desertification, which changed the weather in Northern Africa and the Middle East. Or so they say, I wasn't there...In the 1920s they plowed up the grasses of the American prairies and planted wheat, which then led to the dust bowls of the 1930s and contributed to the Depression. Or so they say.

With my own eyes, I have seen acid rain from Ohio, caused by coal burning, kill forests in North Carolina and Virginia. If you kill forests, temperatures rise and maybe you end up with desertification. But we have already cleaned this up with scrubbers and now natural gas. I know this is true because on my farm, we used to have to spread lime to offset the acid rain. Now we have alkaline rain, and we have to spread sulfur to provide nutrients for grass and corn.

I believe that if we take care of our trees, our trees will take care of us, and climate change will be mitigated. We fixed that, too, with highly productive and non-polluting farming practices, and we supposedly have more trees than we had a hundred years ago. Trees take CO2 out of the atmosphere and produce oxygen, too.

And the river in Ohio (the Cuyahoga River fire of 1969) used to catch on fire, but we fixed that, too.

The Chinese and other Asians are now polluting the daylights out of their part of the planet, and if this continues, we will have climate change, in my opinion.

I do not buy what the poor deluded Democrats are selling.

And my cows don't fart. Ever. So I know for sure that AOC is lying.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2180 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Yeah. These idiots want to tell me WHAT I can eat, WHEN I can eat it, and HOW MUCH of it I can eat. I just have several words..."Personal Liberty and Freedom". I'll eat as MANY bacon cheeseburgers WHEN and WHERE I want, MF'er! I'd prefer these morons just have a nice, hot cup of STFU!! Telling a farmer what he/she can and cannot produce in terms of livestock and crops? If THAT isn't the pure definition of TOTALITARIANISM, I don't know what is!

I MARVEL at the stupidity...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11050 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107250 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I believe that change is occurring. I do not believe it's cow farts, car emissions, or any such bullshit. I believe it's just too many people fucking, not pulling out, and having too many kids. In other words, over-population. We are using natural resources at an unsustainable rate. You can look up the countries where over-population is a massive problem. Africa and India are the big two that I have read about. Just too many damn people. Food waste, polluting the oceans, etc. You wanna carbon tax libs? Sorry I ain't buying it. Get the UN or whomever the fuck to start working with the problematic countries who fuck too much and can't control their populations.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12567 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I know it is not a popular view. But what hale2bales post is pretty much how i feel. Do I have science to back it up. Nope.

Another example of mans affect is huge catastrophic wild fires.
So since the creation of the FS and in the their wisdom and caving to the loonies tunes. There tactic is to basically stop allowing any logging and thining projects. These millions of acres get choked up with underbrush. The once healthy large trees get disease and are killed by insects and turn into gigantic tinder boxes just waiting to be sparked into a massive fire that sends mega metric ton's of smoke and particulate matter in the to atmosphere.

Prior to this creation these fires were low intensity fires that generally burned the underbrush and smaller trees and left a healthy forest and eventually burned themselves out.

These massive fires now destroy the environments for decades if not hundreds of years. And it will repeat itself as they will not let anyone in the clean up the horrible mess and aftermath.

You start stacking all of these thing on top of each other and as hay2bale said. Add these huge developing countries like China and India to the mix and yes it will have a negative impact.

And yes I understand this is a different topic than the political one about those in power trying to use "global warming" to garner support and push their real agenda. And no I do not believe them one bit or buy into that hole garbage pit.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19108 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
I believe that change is occurring. I do not believe it's cow farts, car emissions, or any such bullshit. I believe it's just too many people fucking, not pulling out, and having too many kids. In other words, over-population. We are using natural resources at an unsustainable rate. You can look up the countries where over-population is a massive problem. Africa and India are the big two that I have read about. Just too many damn people. Food waste, polluting the oceans, etc. You wanna carbon tax libs? Sorry I ain't buying it. Get the UN or whomever the fuck to start working with the problematic countries who fuck too much and can't control their populations.

Nonsense.

Overpopulation is a myth.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30294 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

Nonsense.

Overpopulation is a myth.

I’m always intrigued at how Malthusian population theories persist despite nearly the entire developed world heading into a demographic time bomb. By the 2050’s the entire world population, at current trends, will begin to decline. By 2075 or sooner, there will be a world-wide collapse of geriatric social services as there won’t be young people to fund it. A funnel-shaped population age graph is a nightmare, one we’re all about to experience.

Maybe we’ll have a “Logan’s Run” solution one day.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8197 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
But that really has nothing to do with climate change. If overpopulation is the problem (which I'm not convinced it is), then all we're doing is hassening our own demise. The planet will be just fine as its life can be calculated in millions (if not billions) of years, during which it can and will recover from anything we might inflict on it. We are little more than the fleas on a dog, and eventually, that dog will shake us off for good.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Sure, I believe in climate change. Lets get on with it, and either have famine, extreme weather, sea level rise, or some other shit take out a whole lot of the earths population. It's getting too jammed with assholes.

We aren't going to "kill the planet." The planet will be fine.

We might wipe out most or all of humanity, so lets get on with it. All the leftists will be the first to die.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:... snip...

A funnel-shaped population age graph is a nightmare, one we’re all about to experience.

The Dark Ages came about due to such a collapse.

The effects over time of loss of productive people and systems that relied on a lot of people due to famine, disease, wars and lack of societal constraints, resulted in a depopulation and the was followed by enlightenment and the "rebirth" of the renaissance and industrial age.

These things happen in micro societies/cultures as well as macro level and even pandemic, as the last "known" big one.

So, yeah, if we try to kill the earth, it will kill us back more better.

If Mother nature ain't happy, nobody gonna be happy, but the worms.

Keep Chiffon
and
Carry on.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43809 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Here are some real nuts that believe in it. Go ahead and have some of your family Magnus.

Swedish Scientist Proposes Cannibalism to Fight Climate Change

Swedish behavioural scientist Magnus Söderlund has suggested that eating other people after they die could be a means of combatting climate change.

The scientist mentioned the possibility of cannibalism during a broadcast on Swedish television channel TV4 this week about a fair in Stockholm regarding “food of the future”.

Söderlund is set to hold seminars at the event, entitled “Gastro Summit — about the future of food” where he intends to discuss the possibility of eating people in the name of cutting down greenhouse emissions.

According to his research, the main problem with the idea is the widespread taboo of eating human flesh and said that conservative attitudes could make it hard to convince Swedes at large to take up the practice of cannibalism.

Regardless of the likely immense resistance to the idea of eating people, Söderlund said it was important to examine different options in the name of sustainability.

Söderlund is not alone in his call to reject the taboo of cannibalism. Last year, noted atheist and evolutionary scientist Richard Dawkins advocated for lab-grown meat and suggested it may be used to “overcome our taboo against cannibalism”.

Psychologists Jared Piazza and Neil McLatchie of Lancaster University also questioned the taboo on cannibalism in an article for Newsweek last month but ultimately did not endorse breaking it.

Cannibalism is not the only “alternative meat” advocated by climate change activists. Many have embraced plant-based meat imitations, while others have put their support behind “meat” made of insects as a way to cut down on greenhouse emissions and save on land and water use.

https://www.breitbart.com/euro...190906&utm_content=B

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3785 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
the only scientists that 'prove' global warming are those that want to prove it exist

find me a scientist that doesn't believe in global warming and give him the tools to find out if its true or not

and lets not forget about the money - follow the money and you find the agenda

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53080 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
the only scientists that 'prove' global warming are those that want to prove it exist

find me a scientist that doesn't believe in global warming and give him the tools to find out if its true or not
Voila!

If you've never seen this clip, you should watch it. It's beautiful.

Two words: Wood. Shed.

posted Hide Post
I'll buy it.
But not in the sense that these scientists are trying to jam it down our throats.

The climate changes. That's kinda an undisputed fact. Over the past 4.5 BILLION years or so, the climate HAS CHANGED. Hell, our oxygen rich atmosphere only started 2 - 2.5 billion years ago, give or take a few hundred million years.

How many "Ice Ages" have the earth went through in the past 1 Billion years?

What's happened in the last 500 Million years?
50?
5?

So in that respect, yeah, the climate is changing.

In the next 50 or 100 years? Probably not.
50 or 100 MILLION, we'll talk.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8317 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

If you've never seen this clip, you should watch it. It's beautiful.

Two words: Wood. Shed.
[

Haha, that was great. I bet they never invited him back after that.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30294 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:

...How many "Ice Ages" have the earth went through in the past 1 Billion years?

What's happened in the last 500 Million years?
50? 5?...

This video shows that Chicago was covered with ice a mere 20,000 years ago.

https://wgnhs.wisc.edu/wisconsin-geology/ice-age/

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:

This video shows that Chicago was covered with ice a mere 20,000 years ago.

https://wgnhs.wisc.edu/wisconsin-geology/ice-age/

I'll show you a picture 20 weeks ago where this place was covered in ice Wink
Jan / Feb was COLD here!

I get your point.
In 20,000 years from now, it's going to change again. That beachfront house perched right over the Atlantic/ Pacific ain't gonna be there, and there's probably going to be another new dry lakebed somewhere, and a new lake somewhere else...
I hope it snows in Hawaii, because by then, they'll deserve it. Big Grin

Driving "green" cars, reducing farts from cows, having 42 different sized lightbulbs in the house really isn't going to change the climate on the grand scheme of things.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8317 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"NASA admits that climate change occurs because of changes in Earth’s solar orbit, and NOT because of SUVs and fossil fuels"

https://www.naturalnews.com/20...Ybf-XzvfB8D6RQi4JrY0

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
"NASA admits that climate change occurs because of changes in Earth’s solar orbit, and NOT because of SUVs and fossil fuels"

https://www.naturalnews.com/20...Ybf-XzvfB8D6RQi4JrY0

Well...duh.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, the Earth's rotational axis changes slightly over time- a wobble, if you will. And our orbit around the sun is elliptical and varies over long periods of time- known as 'deep time' or 'geological time.' This is just one of the many reasons why I say that the subject of "climate change" is far, far too complex a subject for the imbeciles in Hollywood, who get their information off the back of cereal boxes and from other empty-headed Hollywood slugs, and the subject is far, far too complex also for the average man on the street to fully comprehend, who doesn't even have the advantage of being a pampered twit that everyone listens to, merely because of an ability to be good at dress-up play-pretend. Hell, you know what might be a man-made cause of climate change? All that hot air being spewed by a planet full of quasi-experts.
And the scientists who are paid to study 'climate change' know about the imperfections in the planet's rotation and orbit around the sun, along with other factors, and ignore them, because it behooves them to do so.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023