SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Climate Change. You buying it?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Climate Change. You buying it? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I believe climate changes but not like the gloom and doom as these people are saying. I believe there are natural cycles. Back in the early 90's many said that many coastal cities would be under water and that the polar ice caps would be all melted by the year 2000. They were wrong. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3056 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arlen
posted Hide Post
The weather cannot be accurately predicted for a week out. This is whenever they have all of the recent data to load into their computer model generating software.

They couldn't even predict the path of a hurricane for a thousand miles.

So, how are they going to accurately predict the weather 10 or 20 years out?

They can't!!!

I do not believe it for one second. But the weathermen love it. They are in the spotlight. And the news networks are helping them out by using outrageous descriptors for "any" weather. They should be ashamed.

By the way, we have only been keeping accurate temperature records for a VERY short time. Considering that there are 365 days per year. The record for each day (high temp and low temp) is going to be broken quite often. After a couple of hundred more years, not so much.

Regards,
arlen

======================
Some days, it's just not worth the effort of chewing through the leather straps.
======================

Posts: 408 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Not buying it, but it looks like someone has to pay for this BS.

Isn't Global Warming supposed to be 'science'? Funny how I missed the peer-reviewed exaples for this one:

Oh yeah, be sure to remove the medieval temperature rise when it doesn't work with the agenda at hand.

Seeding panic and terror for ones personal gain and setting it out far enough to be able to retire before it is proven wrong seems to be the way to go.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
You know, this was/is fairly simple. At least when I learned geography, it was common knowledge Greenland was once 'green' enough for Vikings to settle it and glaciers created drumlins around the Midwest when they melted and retreated. When I learned astronomy it was understood that solar radiation strength varied over time as well - Blackspot Maunder Minimums and Maximums.

So it was never reasonable to believe that climate was static, over the long term.

That said, the behavior of the 'climate scientists' have made me the ultimate skeptic about the idea of man's ability to impact on the scale claimed. The sum total of actual scientists who use the term 'settled science' to describe any aspect of their craft is, to three decimal places, zero. It isn't settled. No science is. Not Newton. Not Einstein.

Real scientists doubt their instruments, the calibration thereof, their labs, their data, their lab assistants, their math, and their reports generally wind up with 'more study required' not 'this is settled science.' Roll Eyes

Now, there are true-believers in white coats, who for whatever reason don't have a skeptical bone in their bodies, and for whom the truly scientific skepticism is akin to heresy. Those shills, PR agents, useful idiots - call them what you will - are completely ignorable, IMO, despite the credibility given them by the general press and politicians looking to take the US economy apart.

Note to would-be climate change scientists. Show us your data, show how you've collected it, where you've checked and rechecked, share where you are least certain of your methods and conclusions. That just might get actual scientists interested in what you're selling, or at least interested enough to find out where your assumptions, methods, equipment or analysis might 'require more study.'

On the other hand, those who wish to spoon feed their received wisdom and denounce those critical of their assertions as 'anti-science' need to re-learn precisely what the word 'science' means.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rebut10:
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
The Earth's climate is not static, but constantly changing. It has been that way for at least........ 6 months......maybe even longer!!

Ya, maybe even longer...something else has been in a state of constant change...Earth's population...Year 1 AD approximately 200 million, 1000 AD 275 million., 1804 AD 1 billion, 1900 1.6 billion, 2011 AD 7 billion.

Most of the growth these days is in 3rd world countries and Asia.

At what point does this population growth rate become unsustainable?...assuming it's not already.

It's possible this population growth is a catalyst ramping up the natural climate change cycle of the planet.

Now what to do?

Bernie says kill all the brown babies, then we can have Utopia.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
You sure you are in Houston?
I only remember one season - HOT.
Vague memories of living in the northeast in my early years through mid-teens. Good one... Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
I ABSOLUTELY believe in Climate Change:
Spring
Summer
Fall
Winter

Phukking hack retards. ANY data can be skewed to fit one's agenda. Just like polls...

You sure you are in Houston?
I only remember one season - HOT.

But, he's a pilot. A hop on the jet and he can change the climate easily.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Sure there's climate change. The earth has always had climate change driven by forces not controllable by us humans. Does pouring pollution into the air have any affect? I'd guess a bit but I'd also guess not enough to measure or make a significant difference. At least at our current rate.

The thing is, even if we implemented "the Green New Deal" completely (no cars, no planes no cows etc) it would be like putting an ice cube in your pool in and effort to cool it down. Just silly.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
It's real, and perhaps even man has affected it recently.

So what? Politicians are the worst group of people to deal with this 'problem'. At best they won't do any good. More likely will make things worse.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
I'm not even "looking" much less buying. Wink

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No I don't buy it. As far as the environment goes, the huge amounts of plastic in the ocean has always concerned me more than global warming. Plastic is starting to show up in the food chain (microplastics in fish). I am not one of these nuts who wants to ban straws, but we do need to do a better job of disposing of plastic waste.

Posts: 1042 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Climate change infidel here.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

What’s a fella to believe?

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lucky to be Irish
posted Hide Post
Sorry, don't buy it. If I'm still around 12 years from now I'll be happy to say, "I told ya so."

Posts: 1770 | Location: Mason, OH | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like Tony Heller.
https://youtu.be/yq8bXg6RIjo
He references historical facts in his videos.

Posts: 252 | Location: Stafford, VA | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
In his infinite wisdon, I present you with Mr George Carlin:

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
CO2 is a greenhouse gas. And humans have dug up a lot of of it an put it in the atmosphere. Look at the raw numbers of both...

So, a one one-hundredths of a percent (.0001) change in atmospheric content, IF the data is valid. So far, pro- AGW raw data has required "help" from concerned scientists to further the narrative. That isn't science.

You are extraordinarily predictable.

Posts: 8603 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
What does drive climate on this planet in the order of magnitude.

1. Solar output.
2. Distance from Earth to Sun.
3. Angle of Earth to Sun.
4. Position of continents and how that interacts with ocean conveyors.
5. Composition of Earth's atmosphere.

This was all created back in 1988 by Dr. James Hansen's testimony before Congress on this topic on a hot June day, and they turned off the AC to the building so the cameras/media captured the hot and sweating testimony. Political kabuki theater at its finest. This was NASA fighting for funding and relevance in the wake of the Challenger explosion in my opinion. They were scared to death they were on the way out so they manufactured a crisis. Why else would the National Aeronautics and Space Administration get involved with something total not within their mandate? Climate science is not really a science in the standard practice. The East Anglia E Mail scandal shines some light on this notion. Here we had climate scientists boasting about tricks and making up data. Stroking and smoothing, and threatening to destroy information wanted by a FOIA request. Enter Micheal Mann who refuses to turn over his research so others can't reproduce his work. Unheard of in the scientific community. This isn't science it politics pure and simple. Now we have rumblings of Democrat state AG's talking about suing "climate deniers." Hardball, weaponized, politics.

https://climatelitigationwatch.org/

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
I was about 12 years old when the actor, Robert Redford was on TV actually crying about, "Global Cooling." He predicted the oceans would be dead by Y2K, etc. unless... Gov't. control, regulation, tax, etc.

Then, as always, we started going through a warming trend, so the hoax was renamed to "Global Warming."

Now, it's "Climate Change" they have both cooling trends and warming trends covered which indicates the fraudsters have evolved a bit in their attempts to fool the chicken-littles into submission.

No, I have never bought into any of this BS.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10696 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
If there was no climate change then you'd have a story. "Democrat climate change" is a hoax for gullible fools. Every prediction they have been making for decades have yet to come true. My favorite is one from Al Gore. In the early 90's he said by 2013 the N. American continent would no longer be receiving any more snowfall. Now in 12 years we're doomed if you listen to the talking ass from N.Y. AOC. It's all crap simply meant to scare you and steal more money thru more taxes to combat a fairy tale.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post