SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Climate Change. You buying it?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Climate Change. You buying it? Login/Join 
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Everyone have a look at "Is Genesis History?" Fairly compelling argument that the earth is NOT "BILLIONS" of years old...
Pardon me? You're joking, yes?

And, no, the Book of Genesis is not literal. The Book of Genesis is allegory, as is much of the Bible. Forgive me, but it's a big mistake to take literally every word of the Bible. Doing so has lead countless believers astray.


+++Christian Scientist List+++

Some have ears to hear and others just watch the dross on the floor. Scientist and the Religious are and have been working side by side for many centuries unto today. Very few buy in to the words that mean what some fundamentalist believe from their own interpretations or from other people with an agenda. And trust science? I try to "verify and then trust" myself from both camps of non-reason.

PS: And, as I read the book of Genesis it folds very eloquently into the big bang made from nothing scenario. It just explains in the very limited intellect of the day what happened in a way that could be understood. We need to advance from very limited thinking. God is Good, he gave us this world and all in it. Enjoy.
 
Posts: 3606 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
A "population 'explosion,'" if it exists, still has nothing to do with any rise or fall in the Earth's temperature.

Yep, I agree with that also.
It's a tangential issue, but I think Prefontaine is right about Earth having too many people.
Usually some sort of mass extinction occurs when a species over-populates. I don't have any idea how or when that would occur, but as stated I wish we could contain the over population to the areas responsible for it. If Africa can't support it's population, it's not our problem.



"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor
 
Posts: 16584 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:

... Numero uno, not have kids. Never will either...


I agree with many of the points you've made and I respect your choices. I would just like to point out the mindset you've stated above has been widespread in Germany for some time and it is the reason that Germany is essentially committing suicide as a nation.

The nations and cultures that have moved civilization forward won't benefit the world by killing themselves off, in my opinion.



.
 
Posts: 6891 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
The Population explosion is another myth. SOME places are VERY overcrowded but most of the earth is VERY underpopulated. If you take the land area of the earth and subtract antartica where nobody wants to live and every human being on the face of the earth can have about 5acres of land. We currently produce enough food to supply 10 Billion people.

The problem is not with the amount of people, the room on earth for them or our ability to grow enough food to sustain them. It's the horrible governments that don't provide for their people.


Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................
 
Posts: 3793 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
The problem is not with the amount of people, the room on earth for them or our ability to grow enough food to sustain them. It's the horrible governments that don't provide for their people.



As I see it, it is not gubbermint's job to provide food, etc for the people.

The gubbermint's job is to stay the hell out of the way and let people provide for themselves!


Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!



The Idaho Elk Hunter
 
Posts: 24566 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's the horrible governments that don't provide for their people.

Elk Hunter beat me to it...
But the problem is the horrible governments that deprive their people of the freedom to provide for themselves.



"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor
 
Posts: 16584 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
But the problem is the horrible governments that deprive their people of the freedom to provide for themselves.

Agreed! I shortened my original statement too much. Main point is that bad governments are a bigger problem than people are. Could probably throw in some bad religions in there too!


Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................
 
Posts: 3793 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
The problem is not with the amount of people, the room on earth for them or our ability to grow enough food to sustain them. It's the horrible governments that don't provide for their people.
The problem is that we have not figured out how to get the food to the people, and how to pay for the distribution. Governments do have a part in this problem, because some of them actively take possession of or prevent distribution of food sent to their countries, for selfish reasons.

The populations of many countries are too poor to pay for food grown in more prosperous countries--sending food to them is essentially charity, because they cannot pay.

Distribution is a function of government--without sufficient infrastructure it cannot be done.

flashguy




Texan by choice, not accident of birth

When they ask me, "Paper or plastic?" I just say, "Doesn't matter to me. I am bi-sacksual."
 
Posts: 22436 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Look no further than Haiti as a prime example of that. Enough money has been donated to that place that it could have been TOTALLY RAZED...LEVELED...and rebuilt to modern code, but the situation there is WORSE than when the 2010 earthquake hit. Total shit-hole with people living in squaller. Inexcusable!!!



"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24
 
Posts: 6198 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Look no further than Haiti as a prime example of that. Enough money has been donated to that place that it could have been TOTALLY RAZED...LEVELED...and rebuilt to modern code, but the situation there is WORSE than when the 2010 earthquake hit. Total shit-hole with people living in squaller. Inexcusable!!!

Yep but look at how rich the Clintons and their friends got from the deal!
 
Posts: 3606 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of bigmule
posted Hide Post
I do believe in conservation.

That is lost in the climate change discussion. More and lasting natural conservation does equal better living conditions on earth. Or Mars etc.

So changing your motor oil over the rain water drains is still out in my book.


...sleeping under the shade tree, out back of the tree house....
 
Posts: 2266 | Location: The commonwealth of the saftey pin..  | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.




posted Hide Post
Climate change is real. There is no doubt. The causes are not proven. So, plan accordingly. I believe that low bank sea level waterfront property is not a good investment for the long term. I also believe we will see a gradual population migration from areas most affected. Heat, fires, and rising sea levels. This will happen over decades, not years. Our military is already planning for this.

Why do you think Trump wants to buy Greenland? Why are the Chinese trying to buy a ton of land in north Iceland? Think minerals and shipping channels.
 
Posts: 2312 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fla. Jim:
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Look no further than Haiti as a prime example of that. Enough money has been donated to that place that it could have been TOTALLY RAZED...LEVELED...and rebuilt to modern code, but the situation there is WORSE than when the 2010 earthquake hit. Total shit-hole with people living in squaller. Inexcusable!!!

Yep but look at how rich the Clintons and their friends got from the deal!
That was kinda my 'inferred' insinuation... Wink



"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24
 
Posts: 6198 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
Climate change is real. There is no doubt. The causes are not proven. So, plan accordingly. I believe that low bank sea level waterfront property is not a good investment for the long term. I also believe we will see a gradual population migration from areas most affected. Heat, fires, and rising sea levels. This will happen over decades, not years. Our military is already planning for this.


Climate change has been, is now, and always will be changing. There is no doubt. CLIMATE.HAS.NEVER.BEEN.STATIC. Climate is non linear and chaotic. Difficult at best to model and even more difficult to forecast. Some might say impossible to forecast. Could you please define a "gradual" population migration and what may be causing it? Could you please site a credible source on the rise of heat, fires, and rising sea levels as unprecedented in history?
 
Posts: 6007 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.




posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
Climate change is real. There is no doubt. The causes are not proven. So, plan accordingly. I believe that low bank sea level waterfront property is not a good investment for the long term. I also believe we will see a gradual population migration from areas most affected. Heat, fires, and rising sea levels. This will happen over decades, not years. Our military is already planning for this.


Climate change has been, is now, and always will be changing. There is no doubt. CLIMATE.HAS.NEVER.BEEN.STATIC. Climate is non linear and chaotic. Difficult at best to model and even more difficult to forecast. Some might say impossible to forecast. Could you please define a "gradual" population migration and what may be causing it? Could you please site a credible source on the rise of heat, fires, and rising sea levels as unprecedented in history?


Yes climate change has always occured. The difference this time is how quickly it is happening. The speed of the current change is unprecedented. I will dig up sources for you if desired. Why is our military planning for it?
 
Posts: 2312 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
Climate change is real. There is no doubt. The causes are not proven. So, plan accordingly. I believe that low bank sea level waterfront property is not a good investment for the long term. I also believe we will see a gradual population migration from areas most affected. Heat, fires, and rising sea levels. This will happen over decades, not years. Our military is already planning for this.


Climate change has been, is now, and always will be changing. There is no doubt. CLIMATE.HAS.NEVER.BEEN.STATIC. Climate is non linear and chaotic. Difficult at best to model and even more difficult to forecast. Some might say impossible to forecast. Could you please define a "gradual" population migration and what may be causing it? Could you please site a credible source on the rise of heat, fires, and rising sea levels as unprecedented in history?


Yes climate change has always occured. The difference this time is how quickly it is happening. The speed of the current change is unprecedented. I will dig up sources for you if desired. Why is our military planning for it?


Can you cite how quickly it is happening compared to say the warm up after the mini ice age or any ice age for that matter? NASA data doesn't count because there isn't enough of it. Their skimpy and short term data is worthless for the next couple of hundred years. Climate change takes a long time. Those stupid fucks along with NOAA "adjust" their data too. Both have been caught many times pulling their adjustment shenanigans. I'm not sure why our military is planning for it but they seem to plan for a bunch of edge cases. Good for them and us. I'm pretty sure that you'll agree with climate being non linear and chaotic? That would explain why climate models don't work without forcing parameters (CO2 and Methane to name a couple but the sun isn't included in almost any models) wouldn't it?
 
Posts: 6007 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:


Yes climate change has always occured. The difference this time is how quickly it is happening. The speed of the current change is unprecedented. I will dig up sources for you if desired. Why is our military planning for it?


This is total nonsense, dude.


~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
Family, Guns, Country

"My guns are always loaded."
~R.G. Justified

What whiskey will not cure, there is no cure.
 
Posts: 22489 | Location: Ski Town, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.




posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:


Yes climate change has always occured. The difference this time is how quickly it is happening. The speed of the current change is unprecedented. I will dig up sources for you if desired. Why is our military planning for it?


This is total nonsense, dude.


I am sorry, it is not. I will take some time to give references. Note I did not say WHY it is happening. It just IS happening.
 
Posts: 2312 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
The single largest driver of weather on this planet, and hence the global climate is the sun

you know, that bright thing in the sky

if you want to control the weather, you're gonna have to learn to control the sun

good luck with that

as for the 'Yes climate change has always occured. The difference this time is how quickly it is happening. The speed of the current change is unprecedented.'

you need to provide a legitimate source for this because I call bullshit, and just about everything that has come out of a non-biased non-agenda driven source says there is almost immeasurable changes, some barely at the detection limits of currently used monitoring stations.



Participating in a gun buy back program because you think criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbor has too many kids

"I'm only myself when I have a guitar in my hands." - George Harrison


 
Posts: 48497 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
I am sorry, it is not. I will take some time to give references. Note I did not say WHY it is happening. It just IS happening.


You did say "unprecedented" so that will take a bit of time to get credible references.
 
Posts: 6007 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Climate Change. You buying it?

© SIGforum 2019