SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Has anyone used Turo to rent a car?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anyone used Turo to rent a car? Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted
https://turo.com/

If so, did you like it?

Pro's and cons to it?

Is insurance included with it?

Seems like a way to rent a car/truck that you typically don't get at a car rental place. Might end up being cheaper, too.

Posts: 13044 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
I did and had a great experience. Rented a Mercedes SLK55 AMG for $100 to drive to a few destinations when I was on vacation with the wife. You use your own Insurance or you can also pay another like 10-15 for their Insurance. I would definitely do it again. It made more financial sense for us to rent the car with Turo than it would have to take Uber’s.

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4311 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
I haven’t, but my friend rented a Porche Cayenne in CA last month. He loved it.

Y’know how Uber transformed the cab/taxi world, and basically ended it? Turo is going to do the same, with rentals.

I am thinking about putting my wife’s 2011 Jetta on Turo for like $30/day. Considering it’s been driven less than 40 miles in the past two years, it needs some activity.

Posts: 5070 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know anything about Turo, but there are a lot of variables that would bother me about it. What are the legalities of insurance? It sounds like you're renting a car through a booking service that is owned by an individual. What if the owner doesn't show up at the appropriate time? What if the car isn't maintained or breaks down? What if they claim you damaged the car? There are a lot of variables.

Check out Sixt rental car. They're an international company like Hertz or Budget, have over 4000 locations and they rent Mercedes and bmw's and they're pretty darn cheap for the type of car you're renting.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I'd be leery if I was lending my car on it. Very common for people to either not return rental cars on time or to let someone else use them.

Add in the flourishing identity theft (we've had several $100,000+ cars bought with fake identities in the last year), fake renters would be a potential.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11441 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nojoy
posted Hide Post
Has anyone used Turo lately to rent out your car or truck? I’m considering doing this. I have a 2010 F250 XLT V10 that I don’t use much (about 2,000 miles a year), so if my truck could start paying for itself, that would be nice.
Pros and cons for those who recently put their vehicle on Turo.
Thx

Posts: 1292 | Location: Marysville, WA 98271 | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
I believe one of the primary differences between Turo and one of the standard rental car companies is that Turo only includes a small number of miles with each rental, after which you pay a per mile charge. Since I primarily rent cars personally for trips, having the unlimited mileage of the big rental companies is essential.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, worked out really well had the car delivered and was able to drop it back at hotel. Owner remote unlocked and locked it.

Posts: 880 | Registered: October 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I would NEVER rent my car to a stranger. NEVER. Asking for trouble in a myriad of ways.

Posts: 11347 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe the lawyerese on my car insurance policy states the policy is void if the vehicle is used for commercial proposes.
Turo would qualify as commercial, I would guess.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16003 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nojoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
I would NEVER rent my car to a stranger. NEVER. Asking for trouble in a myriad of ways.

I wouldn’t consider it for my Lotus Esprit S4 Wink
I might for my truck though if the renter has good ratings. Maybe not for a first time renter though.

Posts: 1292 | Location: Marysville, WA 98271 | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Can a thread ever stay on topic? The topic is renting a car thru Turo not whether you would rent out your vehicle. Staying on topic helps the OP, but tangents do not.

No, I haven’t rented a Turo but I have window shopped on their app. I was considering buying a Corvette but wanted to rent one for a week or at least a long weekend first. None of the traditional rental car companies had vettes in Houston and that is when I found Turo. I never actually rented one (6 or 8 nice ones in Houston) as I decided to buy a motorcycle instead of a vette.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post