SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Curse of the Honeycrisp Apple
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Curse of the Honeycrisp Apple Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neel:
The new apple that everyone is Ga Ga about in this area is the new 'Cosmic Crisp'. Trees are not for sale out of the state of WA.
Another few years I think they'll be for sale in other states, that should drop the price of Honeycrisp.

Tried to get my hands on one of those trees when they announced years ago and was told
that it would probably never happen. I jabbed back that my tax dollars allowed their institution to develop that variety and was told to pound sand. I have since tried the
cosmic and find it too sweet, too expensive, and has a funny aftertaste.

Recently purchased some Opals thinking they were golden delicious. They are very crisp
and sweet with a pear like quality. The skin can have brown spots and such but are never
bruised. Definitely worth a look

-------------

The sadder but wiser girl for me.

Posts: 1057 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
18 varieties discussed:
https://www.thespruceeats.com/apple-varieties-2216283

https://www.thespruceeats.com/...s-for-eating-1388319

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
I live in apple country and enjoy many different kinds. Fuji and Galas are enjoyable but my favorite is just a strait up York. Yorks are the in demand apples for applesauce. I tried Honeycrisp recently and was underwhelmed. Perhaps it was the particular batch I had but found them bitter. Definitely not worth the extra scratch regardless of how long they last.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
My go-to is the Braeburn. Great apple for a lunchbox or a pie. It'll do everything and taste good doing it.

In quantity though, they are in short supply around these parts so I use Golden delicious for my applesauce. I can get them by the crate.

After hearing so many great things about the Cosmic crunch, I tried one today. A less tasty Granny Smith is all they are IMO. Decidedly underwhelmed.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
One apple you don't see much of any more is the Mutsu apple. It was the most popular by my neighbors and they would completely clean the tree of apples.

Mutsu is listed in some studies of the most antioxygen:

The Most Nutritious Types of Apples, Ranked by Antioxidant Levels
Melanie Pinola
4/02/14

Some apples might be better than others when it comes to keeping the doctor away. Canadian researchers analyzed the antioxidant levels in eight different apple varieties to find which ones have the highest concentrations of those disease-fighting compounds.

Blue Jack Orchards reports the study results published by the American Chemical Society:

In order of antioxidant levels, the varieties ranked:
Red Delicious (2,012), Northern Spy (1,548), Ida Red (1,479), Cortland (1,323), Golden Delicious (1,265), McIntosh (1,163), Mutsu (1,017) and Empire (782). The numbers are measures of total phenolic content in parts per million.

It's interesting to note that Red Delicious had more than twice the antioxidants as Empire apples. The researchers chose these varieties because they all grew on the same orchard in Ontario, so the growing conditions were the same.

They also found that polyphenol levels—a major source of antioxidants in apples—were five times higher in the skin than in the flesh. So eating apple pie is probably not as healthy for you as eating an apple whole (although you could bake an apple pie in an appleand get the skin too). Either way, when picking apples for health reasons more than for flavor or cooking purpose, think redder may be better.

https://lifehacker.com/the-mos...-antioxid-1556951427

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:
Cosmo Crisp and Sweet Tango (two other high end apple varieties) are my favorites. I love teh "crunch" but need more sweetness/acid in my apple.

I’m a fan too. Honeycrisp was my favorite until I tried a Cosmic Crisp apple.

Posts: 235 | Location: GA. | Registered: October 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Curse of the Honeycrisp Apple
Sounds like a Nancy Drew Mystery

Posts: 107574 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Just found some more of these at my local Aldi this past weekend, they are awesome:

quote:

SnapDragon
A new New York apple characterized by “monster crunch.” One of its parents is the Honeycrisp, and you’ll love the spicy/sweet flavor. Along with RubyFrost, SnapDragon is one of two exciting new apples that were 10 years in the making and developed by Cornell University’s apple breeding program.

Extra sweet, with hints of vanilla and spice.
Two-napkin juicy
Crispy texture

Best Uses
Excellent for fresh eating, great for salads, and gourmet recipes. Pack a Snap for a sweet and healthy snack.

Special Hint
If you like Honeycrisp, you’ll love SnapDragon. Annual high demand means the SnapDragon won’t be here long. Get yours before they’re all snapped up.

Availability
Late September through January

Link

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I think I mentioned earlier in this thread that as a kid in upstate NY we had family outings to visit apple growers and pick our own. So many decades ago I can't remember where although I want to say in the Amsterdam area...dunno.

But my sister's family now visits this place for fruit picking. They have over 20 varieties of apples. Damn I miss this stuff!

https://www.navarinoorchard.com/

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
finally saw some Cosmic Crisp so I bought a couple and will try them

Posts: 53176 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
We have one of these.
Anna (apple) - Wikipedia
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_(apple)
Last year, it had 12 apples on the whole tree. It was our only apple tree and we were told that was okay as it didn't need another tree to produce fruit. But, we were told, it might be more productive if it was near another apple tree.
We got another (tiny) tree.
This year, it has 12 apples on one single branch! We are going to be making and canning lots of pie filling!

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I picked up 2 cosmic crisps at the store yesterday and tried them

they were really good, much better than the honey crisp - a bit sweeter

thanks for the lead

Posts: 53176 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
I picked up 2 cosmic crisps at the store yesterday and tried them

they were really good, much better than the honey crisp - a bit sweeter

thanks for the lead

Good deal. Hoping to have a few picked up on the next grocery run. THX Big Grin

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
my 2 favorites are Braebun and Cortland

"All warfare is based on deception" Sun Tzu, The art of War

Posts: 552 | Location: Gulf Coast of SW Florida | Registered: August 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
just had another cosmic crisp and I'm now a convert

if I can get both cosmic and honey crisp, I will pick cosmic every time

Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Grew up in one of the best areas in the country for apple-growing, so was spoiled at an early age. Some of our golf courses had apple trees growing on their own in between the greens and the tees that made better apples than stuff you could get in the supermarket back then.

Spent 10 years in the Boston area, and they had some variety or other that was stupendously large, bright red and picturesque. Beautiful looking in a bin or on a plate, just aching for a 'still life' painter. Sadly, they tasted like someone had dipped sawdust, briefly, in diluted apple juice.

I have to admit, the Honeycrisp are the best that I've seen in supermarkets and are the only variety that I've rebought for snacking on since growing up in the Heart of the Fruit Belt in the '60s. I honestly don't know why I bought the first ones, having been disappointed by commercial apples for about 50 years, but I'm glad I did.

Sounds like I should try some of the other new varieties as well.

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Fruit today is engineered to be too sweet anyway - especially apples, oranges etc. I stick with berries - blue, black, raspberries, etc.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Just finished a Cosmic Crisp. Not bad at all but not sure it will replace Fuji's as my regular go to with Pink Lady's as a change of pace. Smile

We don't get NY varieties in these parts. Frown

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
I'm in Florida and I don't recall any Florida apples for sale.

So, based on the OP and others in this thread, I purchased some Honey Crisps. I didn't notice the price being higher than other apples, but, usually, when I've determined to buy something at a relatively low price, I don't care enough to compare the cost.

Sat down about half an hour ago with half of one, and gave my wife the other half.

It was one of the worst tasting apples I've ever tasted. And, despite it being out of character, my wife agreed with me.

I gave her the rest, and she and our dog, PC, ate it all.

I cut up a Gala, which she likes and I am not fond of, but it was much better than the Honey Crisp, IMO.

Some of the names here are not available in my area, some are. None are real good to my taste EXCEPT the Golden Delicious.

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
I imagine that I probably liked Honeycrisp while they were still a number, before they had a name.

As a kid visiting our grandparents we would stop at the University of Minnesota Apple House and try all the new varieties.

Don’t believe it was called “AppleHouse” at the time, just a farm type building with boxes of various apples from the research to purchase.
You could sample all of the apples and purchase a bushel.
Most of the apples were not named just had assigned numbers.

Those were the best of times and apples.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post