SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Curse of the Honeycrisp Apple
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Curse of the Honeycrisp Apple Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Looking at the apppes in my local grocery as I type this. Red delicious at $1.50/lb; Jonagold, Fuji, Gala, Braeburn, and Granny Smith $1.99/lb; Honeycrisp, Autumn Glory and Pink Lady $2.50/lb; Opal and Sugarbee $3.00/lb; Cosmic Crisp $4/lb.

So at least in Washington, it’s in the more expensive tier, but hardly the priciest. I think I’ll try a Sugarbee.

Oh and I agree on Red Delicious: I think it’s more an apt descriptor of its looks rather than the taste. Big Grin

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^ Yup. Not the most expensive 'round these parts. Wazoo's Cosmic Crisp is the pricy one. I like the Honeycrisp but I think the midwest-sourced crops taste better than most of the type that's grown here in WA state. I'm under the impression that Honeycrisp was first developed back in Wisconsin or Michigan, and what's grown here is more or less is just an import that most local growers haven't quite figured out the nuances yet, based on what my taste buds have told me over the years.

Cosmic Crisp is the one type that I think is overblown. I consider its taste and texture a pretty satisfying eat, but not particularly worthy of the price.

-MG

Posts: 1979 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Agreed on both counts. Though, as I understand it, Cosmic Crisp is only so pricey because it's only been on the market a few seasons and should come down in price over time. We'll see.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Tried some Sugarbee back in the first week of March. $2.99/lb. Was NOT impressed.

Next outing bought Fuji. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I came upon Rome Apples a few years ago at an orchard. And I love them. I know they are a cooking apple but I love thst they are crisp but not tart. I find it a good mix. I plan on baking a few pies with them but I prefer them over regular apples as well.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3588 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Gimme them Cosmics. They're so good I've
reacquainted the apple a day habit.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cookster:

Any fans of the Cortland Apple? This was a regional favorite in NYS where I grew up. Lots of apple farms nearby grew these.

Mine too. We used to have family outings where we'd drive to a large orchard and pay to pick our own apples. This was back in the '50s in upstate NY. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Red Delicious: I think it’s more an apt descriptor of its looks rather than the taste

Sort of the 'vienna sausage' of apples; rather deceptive name for the product ("delicious"? Really?) although nobody I know likes them, somewhere there must be a market.

In the 50s I took a red delicious (usually) with my school lunch sack. Along the way somewhere either my tastes changed, or the 'red delicious'.

Thought I liked Granny Smiths for a decade or 2, but again, something has changed. Grew to favor "Asian Pear" but too hard to find these days. Tons of apple varieties to chose from still. Gonna look up that "flamming Lucy" guess I better get the actual name from previous post.
ETA :" Lucy Glo " there it is. Search begins.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No idea that there were so many apple variants. Interesting.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
Tons of apple varieties to chose from still. Gonna look up that "flamming Lucy" guess I better get the actual name from previous post.
ETA :" Lucy Glo " there it is. Search begins.

If you’re looking for something different, I think you’ll be pleased. Last year, we looked up a website, I believe, where you could order them. It’s the first time that I’ve been so excited about something like this that I laid in as large a supply as I could get my hands on at the end of the season. They only lasted us about a month, and not for their staying power, but because I annihilated them.

Also, im going to have to remember that. “The Vienna Sausage of apples.” Big Grin

Bald1, that Sugarbee was alright, but it didn’t exactly light up my world. Oh well, another variety tried out.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P220 Smudge,

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
No idea that there were so many apple variants. Interesting.

I believe there are well over 2500 varieties in the US and 7500 worldwide. Big Grin

P220 Smudge,
The Lucy Glo sounds interesting but isn't available around here.

Searched and found this mail order site but they're sold out:
https://www.goldbelly.com/chelan-fresh

Checking I find the following currently available locally in the store we shop here in the Northern Plains:
--Honeycrisp
--Gala
--Fuji
--Envy
--Pink Lady
--Granny Smith
--Cosmic Crisp
--Red Delicious
--Sugar Bee
--Opal Extra Fancy
--Autumn Glory
--Jonagold

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of skywag
posted Hide Post
I good place to buy Honeycrisp is at Double "D" packing, in Quincy, WA.

They have a sign that reads' 10 for 10, out on the road. When it is up you can go into the office and buy 10# for 10$.

Thing is, they are the apples that are too big to pack and sell. They get HUGE. Sometimes 8 apples to 10 pounds. And, the bigger the better.

One friend in Desert Aire planted 25,000 Cosmos. Another grower friend planted none.......doesn't loke them. Neither do I. The skin/peel is like leather.

Posts: 173 | Location: United States | Registered: January 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan of Pink Ladies and Piñatas. Honeycrisp are ok and the Cosmic Crisp I tried wasn't at its prime. I used to love red delicious, but they don't seem the same anymore.

Posts: 8273 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I go old school when I can find them,

there are a few orchards in VA's apple regions still growing some of the older varieties,
and with the pile of new Cider houses, more are being planted,

Northern Spy is a tasty apple, and makes fantastic pies and fried apples,

Rome
Empire
Macintosh
Winesaps

all damn good,

Ginger gold is decent as well, but not sure if that is older or newer,

end up finding them at Farmer's markets or just make road trips up to several orchards

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
BTW, keep in mind that apples generally store well, but the texture will change as they are stored,

when I was in the Gro Biz, we got apples from VA, NY , and a lot from the PNW, then when they were done (new crop and then stored apples, ) we got them from NZ, and South America,
same names, slightly different tastes sometimes, (not really noticeable unless you ate a lot of apples)
not all varieties available all year, and a month or so lag between the 2,

ditto citrus,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
P220 Smudge,
The Lucy Glo sounds interesting but isn't available around here.

Searched and found this mail order site but they're sold out:
https://www.goldbelly.com/chelan-fresh

When they come into season, I highly recommend trying some. I see they offer a mixed box of Lucy Glo and Lucy Rose. I haven't tried the Rose variety yet, so I can't speak to those, but I'd imagine they're also very good.

quote:
Originally posted by skywag:
I good place to buy Honeycrisp is at Double "D" packing, in Quincy, WA.

They have a sign that reads' 10 for 10, out on the road. When it is up you can go into the office and buy 10# for 10$.

Thing is, they are the apples that are too big to pack and sell. They get HUGE. Sometimes 8 apples to 10 pounds. And, the bigger the better.

We drove through there last summer and may have stopped at that exact packer. Last week of July, I think. Apples weren't quite in season yet, I think, but we had the most amazing peaches and nectarines I think I've ever had, and they were enormous. We stayed in George, visited the petrified forest and then cruised up to Quincy to check out the produce. It was so worth it, I plan to take the family back this coming summer and fall, at least twice.

Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
I bought 4 honeycrisp trees about 4 years ago, if the darned deer and moose would leave them alone I might get to see fruit before I die.

The new apple that everyone is Ga Ga about in this area is the new 'Cosmic Crisp'. Trees are not for sale out of the state of WA.

Another few years I think they'll be for sale in other states, that should drop the price of Honeycrisp.

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I've always preferred the Golden Delicious. Still do, except they're getting harder to find so I sometimes pick one of the newer varieties. The Honeycrisp is, to me, pretty much 'meh'. It's good but no better than a GD and costs more.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
"Eating an apple a day" helps get rid of the senescent cells that go bad as you age. It is the quercetin in apples that kills the bad senescent cells:

https://www.lifeextension.com/...ving-senescent-cells

Honeycrisp makes good apple pies while the smaller size strains are OK as an eating apple.

Red Delicious was introduced and named by Stark when it was selected one year from a host of apples sent in by people around the country.

Ginger Gold was found one year after a flood in Nelson County, VA and named after the guys wife. I can usually find Ginger Gold at a store near Crozet but they due sell out fast.

Some of the new varieties can be found at Aldi's at a reasonable price when on sale.

Some apples do not store well. One apple that I liked and stored well up until March, was Arkansas Black.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I could make myself sick eating just about any apple but the Pink Lady is my favorite. We go up to a orchard or two every fall in Ellijay and eat apples and a peck of Pink Ladies always comes home with me.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post