SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Smoke Detectors - Are there any reliable models/brands?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smoke Detectors - Are there any reliable models/brands? Login/Join 
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted
We have Kidde hard wired smoke detectors in the house, all about a year old. They are all linked together with 10-year battery backup. Mostly model i12010S but also a combination smoke/CO monitor in the bedroom, model i12010SCO. We've had some false alarms, all in the middle of the night while we were sleeping. Never during the daytime, of course.

I want to replace these crappy detectors. But reading the online reviews for Kidde and First Alert brand detectors, there are many good reviews but also a large number of very bad reviews (you guessed it, false alarms in the middle of the night).

Does anyone here work with these things professionally? Are there any reliable smoke detectors on the market that won't just sound off for no reason?

Thanks for your help.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10490 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
Ionization-type detectors are more prone to false alarms in certain environments.

Is the smoke loop properly connected to a dedicated breaker? Is it an arc-fault or a standard breaker?

Some municipal codes require placement of photoelectric-type detectors within a certain distance of kitchens and bathrooms.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:
Ionization-type detectors are more prone to false alarms in certain environments.

Is the smoke loop properly connected to a dedicated breaker? Is it an arc-fault or a standard breaker?

Some municipal codes require placement of photoelectric-type detectors within a certain distance of kitchens and bathrooms.

I don’t know the answers, I would have to get an electrician to look at the system.

Posts: 10490 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I had "System Sensor" recently installed on my HVAC ducts wired through the central alarm panel, and also latching relays to shut off power to HVAC in the event of fire.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2Adefender:
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:

I don’t know the answers, I would have to get an electrician to look at the system.

Yours are ionization. Commercial units are typically photoelectric.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
So what brands/models do you recommend? Looking for some guidance.

posted Hide Post
I really like my Nest Smoke Detectors

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One True IcePick
Picture of eyrich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matai:
I really like my Nest Smoke Detectors

I second this. I have 3x AC powered ones and also like the motion night light feature for the one in the hallway.

Posts: 859 | Location: IL | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I will check out the Nests.

posted Hide Post
FWIW the type of detection and the brand are not related. As a FF I haven't found much brand difference, but in most applications the photoelectric are way better in terms of false alarms. Separate the CO from these and it get better still.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Another Nest owner, 3 hardwired. I like the monthly self test and the nightlight is actually nice in the hallway. Just enough light to see but not offensive at 3AM.

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
FWIW the type of detection and the brand are not related. As a FF I haven't found much brand difference, but in most applications the photoelectric are way better in terms of false alarms. Separate the CO from these and it get better still.

Photoelectric it is. Appreciate the advice!